Possible rendering issue

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Possible rendering issue

Unread post by vannilla » 2018-05-25, 13:18

I'm experiencing an issue with rendering certain type of content on any webpage.
However, my Pale Moon is installed by compiling it from source using the Gentoo overlay by deu, so before reporting this issue as a bug I first want to make sure it's not an issue with my system in particular.

When a page contains text areas which can be scrolled horizontally, scrolling the content corrupts its rendering, and I need to select the corrupted part before I can read it.
This happens to pictures too, where they get "stretched" until I select their container element.

As an example, https://github.com/MoonchildProductions/UXP/issues/380 has code blocks which can be scrolled, and every time I scroll the text disappears or becomes unreadable.

Does anyone else have this problem?

yami_

Re: Possible rendering issue

Unread post by yami_ » 2018-05-25, 14:32

Code blocks on GitHub scroll correctly for me, but that is on Windows 7, not Linux.

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2018-05-25, 15:47

Yes, I confirm. Arch Linux.

vannilla, I know exactly what you are talking about. It *always* happens on GitHub. I'm not sure about the image issue though, never encountered myself. I did not report it as it is not much of an issue for me.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-05-25, 22:29

@ vannilla

After clicking on your link you provided using 64 bit linux Pale Moon 27.9.2 in 64 bit linux Mint 18.3 (Sylvia) Xfce, when scrolling horizontally, the text with the code does "not" disappear and it also does "not" become unreadable.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2018-05-25, 22:39

Night Wing wrote:@ vannilla

After clicking on your link you provided using 64 bit linux Pale Moon 27.9.2 in 64 bit linux Mint 18.3 (Sylvia) Xfce, when scrolling horizontally, the text with the code does "not" disappear and it also does "not" become unreadable.
I'm not really sure how to interpret the quotes around "not". :)
adesh wrote:I'm not sure about the image issue though, never encountered myself.
Maybe I should make some screenshots.
When I'll have some time in the weekend I'll see if I can get around doing that.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-05-25, 23:25

@ vannilla

"Not" means just that, "not for me". In other words, I can click on the scroll bar and by holding down my left mouse button, I can scroll the bar horizontally right or left, no matter the direction, the text code above the horizontal scroll bar does not disappear and it does not become unreadable.

To sum up, I cannot reproduce the problem you're seeing. Just remember, my daily distro is linux Mint.
Last edited by Night Wing on 2018-05-25, 23:27, edited 1 time in total.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2018-05-26, 01:35

vannilla wrote:Maybe I should make some screenshots.
When I'll have some time in the weekend I'll see if I can get around doing that.
Here's a screen capture. Interesting note... on my machine, when I scroll horizontally, the smearing happens... but, after 3 or 4 seconds the screen automatically refreshes and gives the "correct, uncorrupted" display. It took proper timing to catch this screen capture. I'm using...
  • 32-bit Gentoo
  • a recent 32-bit unstable Pale Moon (I do the builds viewtopic.php?f=37&t=14482&start=120)
  • ancient (2008) Intel Core2, 3gigs of ram, i915 embedded video chip
  • ICEWM window manager (no "desktop environment")
Smearing of text with horizontal scrolling on Github
Smearing of text with horizontal scrolling on Github
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-05-26, 04:03

Below is my screenshot using 64 bit linux Pale Moon 27.9.2 running in 64 bit linux Mint 18.3 (Sylvia) Xfce.

It renders properly everytime and I've tried to reproduce the problem for the last 45 minutes straight. Just look at my screenshot (attachment) below. The text does not disappear and it does not become unreadable when I horizontally scroll. Like I stated in my second post, I cannot reproduce the problem.

Left click on the attachment to make it larger and clearer.
Attachments
GH 1366.png

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2018-05-26, 06:28

Walter Dnes wrote:ancient (2008) Intel Core2, 3gigs of ram, i915 embedded video chip
I also have an old 2008 laptop with i915 graphics where this is happening. So, I guess, this may be an issue with Linux graphics drivers on old hardware. I am also using 32-bit variants of OS and the browser.

vannilla, is your setup similar to ours?

Night Wing, who is unaffected by the issue, seems to be on a fairly modern hardware and using 64-bit flavour.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-05-26, 09:30

The displayed issue is a video driver issue, indeed. That kind of incorrect "blitting" is entirely in the realm of the graphics driver and hardware, and Pale Moon can't do anything about that except maybe blacklist the GPU so hardware acceleration isn't used. Try with HWA disabled; try changing the graphics driver or its settings.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-05-26, 10:45

adesh wrote:
Night Wing, who is unaffected by the issue, seems to be on a fairly modern hardware and using 64-bit flavour.
The screenshot which I posted was taken from my "old" 2010 year model desktop tower computer which originally came with 64 bit Windows 7 Home Premium. I installed a second hard drive in the two hard drive bay so I could run a linux distro. When linux Pale Moon was publicly released in January of 2014, this is when I began using linux Pale Moon. Right now, I am using 64 bit linux Pale Moon 27.9.2 running in 64 bit linux Mint 18.3 (Sylvia) Xfce. My Pale Moon has hardware acceleration turned off and it is using Firefox Compatibility.

Below are my computer specs.

This desktop tower computer, an HPE-170t model which I bought in the year 2010 (month of May) directly from Hewlett-Packard via a telephone call and HP shipped it directly to my home, has an Intel i7 processor on the motherboard with a processor speed of 2.80 with 16 GB of memory. It still has the original graphics card which came with it which is a Nvidia GeForce GT 220 and it is using an "old" linux 340.102 graphics driver which the Mint developers provide through my Mint Driver Manager. I do not install any linux graphics driver(s) directly from Nvidia.

As you can see from what I've typed above, this desktop tower computer is definitely not considered "modern" hardware since most people call this computer's hardware "ancient" since it is now 8 years old. BTW, the only thing which I have replaced in it is the power supply.

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2018-05-26, 14:40

The screenshot made by Walter Dnes is essentially what I see (with the addition that scrolling to the right makes the text disappear completely), though it doesn't get magically fixed after some time, but stays like that.
The computer is a laptop I bought recently-ish, after my old one died completely. According to the manufacturer's website (Asus) the model was produced in 2016.
CPU is an AMD A9, the GPU is AMD R5 M230.
Video driver is the "amdgpu" driver provided by the Linux kernel, with the Stoney firmware, plus the "radeon" driver with the Hainan firmware (without this setup the screen doesn't even work).
Operative system is Gentoo 64bit, Pale Moon is 64bit, compiled with the default settings provided by deu's overlay, with GCC 4.9.4, no desktop environment, window manager is EXWM.
Unsetting hardware acceleration from the preferences window didn't fix it, I've yet to try to configure the driver, though I don't know what I should set at all.