Neither of the updaters are working.

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
360jm

Neither of the updaters are working.

Unread post by 360jm » 2018-05-22, 21:40

Pale Moon has a built-in update checker. If you let Pale Moon automatically check for updates (which occurs every other day by default), you will be notified and given the option to download and install the later version from within the browser. You can also manually check and start the update from Pale Moon's Help -> About dialog box.

The auto update doesn't work, and there is no "Check for Updates" in the Pale Moon's Help -> About dialog box, just 'Moonchild Production' where is used to be. Here are the 5 distros on my SSD. Linux Mint 18.3 Mate = 27.9.2 (this is the only one up to date), Solus Budgie = 27.9.1, Solus Mate = 27.8.2 (way out of date), Ubuntu Mate 18.04 = 27.9.0, and MX 17.1 = 27.9.1. I've used Pale Moon as my default browser for 2 years now and I used to manually update it all the time. This computer is an Intel NUC with an i15 4 core CPU, 8GB's of RAM, and a 250GB SSD. The only change I've made lately is adding Ubuntu Mate about a month ago. How can I get the update to function properly?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Neither of the updaters are working.

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-05-22, 21:59

Linux release versions of Pale Moon do not use the internal updater.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Axatax

Unread post by Axatax » 2018-05-22, 23:53

The PM Linux releases don't come from here, I think. They are made by various third parties and you should use your distro's package system to update.

360jm

Unread post by 360jm » 2018-07-04, 17:18

Moonchild wrote:Linux release versions of Pale Moon do not use the internal updater.
OK. So how can I update this Solus Linux install? There is no "Check for Updates" in the Pale Moon's Help -> About dialog box, like there used to be.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-07-04, 17:29

@ 360jm

You can manually download the new versions of Pale Moon on this page below where you can update via the tarball (my preferred method). The link is below.

http://linux.palemoon.org/download/mainline/

If you want to use the Installer, it is at the link below.

http://linux.palemoon.org/download/installer/
Last edited by Night Wing on 2018-07-04, 17:31, edited 1 time in total.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

360jm

Unread post by 360jm » 2018-07-04, 18:56

Night Wing wrote:@ 360jm

You can manually download the new versions of Pale Moon on this page below where you can update via the tarball (my preferred method). The link is below.

http://linux.palemoon.org/download/mainline/

If you want to use the Installer, it is at the link below.

http://linux.palemoon.org/download/installer/
Thanks a lot, 360jm

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-07-04, 21:23

@ 360jm

You might want to put those links I provided in your bookmarks for future reference. Those links will come in handy when you need them.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox