"sudo palemoon -p" different from "palemoon -p"

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
fillerup

"sudo palemoon -p" different from "palemoon -p"

Unread post by fillerup » 2018-05-21, 02:53

this is what i get when i run palemoon -p

and what i get when i run sudo palemoon -p

seems like sudo palemoon -p doesn't apply the GTK font setting i have for its UI, and uses a different profile directory?

edit: installed with pminstaller
Last edited by fillerup on 2018-05-21, 02:53, edited 1 time in total.

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: "sudo palemoon -p" different from "palemoon -p"

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2018-05-21, 04:00

fillerup wrote:seems like sudo palemoon -p doesn't apply the GTK font setting i have for its UI, and uses a different profile directory?
Pale Moon uses "$HOME/.moonchild productions/pale moon" for its profiles and gtk-2 stuff goes in $HOME/.config/gtk-2.0

When you run as regular user, you're using your regular home directory. But "sudo" is usually used for running as root. So you're seeing "/root/.moonchild productions/pale moon" for profiles and gtk-2 stuff in /root/.config/gtk-2.0 This is not a bug; it's working as intended.
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2018-05-21, 06:58

You shouldn't run a web browser (be it Pale Moon, Basilisk, Firefox...) as a different user anyway, especially not root.
In short, never do "sudo <web browser>".

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-05-21, 09:07

vannilla wrote:You shouldn't run a web browser (be it Pale Moon, Basilisk, Firefox...) as a different user anyway, especially not root.
^This.
Only run Pale Moon under your own user account.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2018-05-21, 09:38

Walter Dnes wrote:Pale Moon uses "$HOME/.moonchild productions/pale moon" for its profiles and gtk-2 stuff goes in $HOME/.config/gtk-2.0

When you run as regular user, you're using your regular home directory. But "sudo" is usually used for running as root. So you're seeing "/root/.moonchild productions/pale moon" for profiles and gtk-2 stuff in /root/.config/gtk-2.0 This is not a bug; it's working as intended.
perfect explanation, thank you
Moonchild wrote:
vannilla wrote:You shouldn't run a web browser (be it Pale Moon, Basilisk, Firefox...) as a different user anyway, especially not root.
^This.
Only run Pale Moon under your own user account.
yes of course, s i just thought PM might need administrative right for a task i was trying to do (can't remember what is is now, typical...)