Pale Moon installer for Linux

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
eric sutton

Pale Moon installer for Linux

Unread post by eric sutton » 2018-05-11, 07:08

Pale Moon will not run at all without (reasonably updated versions of) the following dependencies:

GTK+ v2.24
GLibc v2.17
Pango
X.Org
libstdc++ 4.3

I think the installer should install these as well like other Linux package managers for example Synaptic

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Pale Moon installer for Linux

Unread post by adesh » 2018-05-11, 07:41

No, I think it's better that the installer does not install the required packages. This way installer is less invasive while perfectly doing its job which is to install Pale Moon. Ensuring the prerequisites is user's job!

Also, installer is not a package manager. It does not (should not) manage dependencies. Then, consider the wildness of Linux distributions, it would even not be easier to have this feature.

tooshorttoolong
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Pale Moon installer for Linux

Unread post by tooshorttoolong » 2018-05-12, 17:45

If you want dependencies to be installed automatically, you should install the pale moon package from your distribution’s repositories (if there is one, obviously).

Besides, I cannot imagine a distribution shipping without glibc and libstdc++. Xorg and gtk2 might be absent from Gnome3/wayland fanatics distros (Fedora?) but they should be installed on the large majority of distros by default too. Pango is a dependency of gtk2 (and many other things) so again it should be installed by default already.

If you’re running a distro without these packages installed by default, and which doesn’t have a palemoon package, then there is no other solution than install the dependencies manually. While not impossible, I wouldn’t expect Pale Moon’s official installer to handle all the linux distros and automatically install these dependencies :).