Pale Moon installer for Linux

Support and discussions for the x86/x64 Linux version of Pale Moon.

Moderators: trava90, satrow

eric sutton
New to the forum
New to the forum

Pale Moon installer for Linux

Postby eric sutton » Fri, 11 May 2018, 07:08

Pale Moon will not run at all without (reasonably updated versions of) the following dependencies:

GTK+ v2.24
GLibc v2.17
Pango
X.Org
libstdc++ 4.3

I think the installer should install these as well like other Linux package managers for example Synaptic

adesh
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: Pale Moon installer for Linux

Postby adesh » Fri, 11 May 2018, 07:41

No, I think it's better that the installer does not install the required packages. This way installer is less invasive while perfectly doing its job which is to install Pale Moon. Ensuring the prerequisites is user's job!

Also, installer is not a package manager. It does not (should not) manage dependencies. Then, consider the wildness of Linux distributions, it would even not be easier to have this feature.

tooshorttoolong
Moonbather
Moonbather

Re: Pale Moon installer for Linux

Postby tooshorttoolong » Sat, 12 May 2018, 17:45

If you want dependencies to be installed automatically, you should install the pale moon package from your distribution’s repositories (if there is one, obviously).

Besides, I cannot imagine a distribution shipping without glibc and libstdc++. Xorg and gtk2 might be absent from Gnome3/wayland fanatics distros (Fedora?) but they should be installed on the large majority of distros by default too. Pango is a dependency of gtk2 (and many other things) so again it should be installed by default already.

If you’re running a distro without these packages installed by default, and which doesn’t have a palemoon package, then there is no other solution than install the dependencies manually. While not impossible, I wouldn’t expect Pale Moon’s official installer to handle all the linux distros and automatically install these dependencies :).

Return to “Pale Moon for Linux”