Ubuntu 18.04 failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
floatingkeyboards

Ubuntu 18.04 failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"

Unread post by floatingkeyboards » 2018-05-06, 03:42

I get these error messages:
failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
It also gives the error:
the owner of /home/myUserName/.config/ibus/bus is not root!

I noticed this thread viewtopic.php?f=37&t=17632&p=129674&hil ... le#p129674
which gives a suggestion about the first error. Should I have installed those packages before installing Pale Moon? Pale Moon seemed to proceed with the installation even after those errors.

Ubuntu 18.04

tooshorttoolong
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Ubuntu 18.04 failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"

Unread post by tooshorttoolong » 2018-05-06, 07:14

libcanberra is used to play system sounds and any Gtk application tries to load it automatically at startup. Presumably it is not a hard requirement for Pale Moon.
A quick web search on the error message will give you the instructions to install the module on your distro, if you want that.

As for the second error message, I’m not sure. You’re not running palemoon with sudo, are you? Or is it the installer?
Last edited by tooshorttoolong on 2018-05-06, 07:19, edited 1 time in total.

floatingkeyboards

Re: Ubuntu 18.04 failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"

Unread post by floatingkeyboards » 2018-05-12, 05:30

Sorry for the delayed response. I was away from my linux machine for a while (it's not my primary computer). When I installed it using the command line I did not use any sudo commands.