Problems with GitHub Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
mseliger
Fanatic
Fanatic

Problems with GitHub

Unread post by mseliger » 2018-04-29, 13:06

I've updated my operating system Lubuntu to version 18.04 and I've installed Pale Moon 27.9. Before I was using Lubuntu 16.04. Now, when I open GitHub pages they are broken (but I don't know whether they were broken when I've installed Pale Moon 27.9 a few days before the operating system update.
They look like this:
github.png
I have created a new profile, but the problem is the same. Do you have a solution?
with other browsers like Firefox, Iridium the pages look fine.
Last edited by mseliger on 2018-04-29, 13:17, edited 1 time in total.
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Greetings
Maria
---
Ich bin ein Westfale, und zwar ein Stockwestfale, nämlich ein Münsterländer – Gott sei Dank! füge ich hinzu ...
Annette von Droste zu Hülshoff, Bei uns zu Lande auf dem Lande

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Problems with GitHub

Unread post by adesh » 2018-04-30, 12:29

GitHub works just fine here. Did you check console for any warning? Try disabling any content blocking extensions if you have.

mseliger
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by mseliger » 2018-04-30, 18:30

adesh wrote:GitHub works just fine here. Did you check console for any warning? Try disabling any content blocking extensions if you have.
As I wrote above, I've tried with a new profile (no extensions, standard configuration). The Git Hub page is broken for me in Pale Moon, but not in other browsers (Iridium, Basilisk, Firefox).

These are the errors when I start Pale Moon with a new profile

Code: Select all

msel@Thales:/opt/palemoon$ palemoon -p

(palemoon:16070): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: 20:24:30.040: g_dbus_proxy_new: assertion 'G_IS_DBUS_CONNECTION (connection)' failed

(palemoon:16070): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: 20:24:30.040: g_dbus_proxy_new: assertion 'G_IS_DBUS_CONNECTION (connection)' failed

(palemoon:16070): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: 20:24:32.090: g_dbus_proxy_new: assertion 'G_IS_DBUS_CONNECTION (connection)' failed

(palemoon:16070): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: 20:24:32.090: g_dbus_proxy_new: assertion 'G_IS_DBUS_CONNECTION (connection)' failed

Is this a bug in Pale Moon? Perhaps somebody knows a solution. :coffee:
Maria
---
Ich bin ein Westfale, und zwar ein Stockwestfale, nämlich ein Münsterländer – Gott sei Dank! füge ich hinzu ...

mseliger
Fanatic
Fanatic

Install fonts-symbola

Unread post by mseliger » 2018-06-10, 14:06

I've just found a solution for my problem, when I was looking for a problem I had with Thunderbird:
https://ubuntu-mate.community/t/thunderbird-with-huge-icons-emoticons-mate-18-04/16249/33

After installing fonts-symbola the problem with Github (and some other pages, like printed version of Heise) vanish (and also the problem with Thunderbird).
You have to install this symbol font (in some Ubuntu-versions) to get rid of the error.

sudo apt-get install fonts-symbola
I'm very glad I've found a solution so that I can use the Pale Moon Browser and have not to use Firefox (mostly because I did not find good replacements for ReminderFox, SimpleMail and NewsFox in Firefox which I can easy sync between Windows and Linux on a portable harddrive).
Maria
---

missmoondog

Unread post by missmoondog » 2018-06-15, 15:20

yep, had that exact same issue with github also. don't have thunderbird though. will look into your solution, maybe, but am having issues with palemoon crashing for no reason and have posted a topic about that here, so might not even be using palemoon much longer anyway.

thanks

LorpyAE

Re: Install fonts-symbola

Unread post by LorpyAE » 2018-06-25, 11:50

mseliger wrote:I've just found a solution for my problem, when I was looking for a problem I had with Thunderbird:
https://ubuntu-mate.community/t/thunderbird-with-huge-icons-emoticons-mate-18-04/16249/33

After installing fonts-symbola the problem with Github (and some other pages, like printed version of Heise) vanish (and also the problem with Thunderbird).
You have to install this symbol font (in some Ubuntu-versions) to get rid of the error.

sudo apt-get install fonts-symbola
I'm very glad I've found a solution so that I can use the Pale Moon Browser and have not to use Firefox (mostly because I did not find good replacements for ReminderFox, SimpleMail and NewsFox in Firefox which I can easy sync between Windows and Linux on a portable harddrive).
Having the same problem but this didn't work for me. Am on Arch.

kbhasi

Re: Install fonts-symbola

Unread post by kbhasi » 2018-06-30, 09:33

mseliger wrote:I'm very glad I've found a solution so that I can use the Pale Moon Browser and have not to use Firefox
I have the same problem on both GitHub and GitLab, so, for that, I used Waterfox for the time being, not Firefox, mainly because I hate the latter's "Photon" UI (as it feels very bland and by my standards, and I can install CTR on Waterfox, but it's just not the same as actually using Pale Moon).

The "fonts-symbola" package is already installed on my system, probably because it was a new dependency in some KDE update I installed, so the problem is now gone for me. Thanks!
Last edited by kbhasi on 2018-06-30, 09:33, edited 1 time in total.

BobbyBonsaimind

Unread post by BobbyBonsaimind » 2018-07-06, 19:08

Any chance you guys have disabled to use webfonts?