When changed to Dark theme, forms have black text on black background

Support and discussions for the x86/x64 Linux version of Pale Moon.

Moderators: trava90, satrow

mocambo
Moongazer
Moongazer

When changed to Dark theme, forms have black text on black background

Postby mocambo » Sat, 21 Apr 2018, 03:06

Hi !

When changed theme to Maia Dark all form elements on Palemoon displayed black text on black background. In same time Firefox forms are readable.

How can it be fixed ?

Thank you !

Isengrim
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: When changed to Dark theme, forms have black text on black background

Postby Isengrim » Sat, 21 Apr 2018, 10:19

I'm not terribly knowledgeable about themes on Linux, but I know with the Mint Y Dark theme text coloring seems to render fine, so my guess is that it's an issue with the particular theme you're using.
Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon (64-bit)
Windows 7 (64-bit)

mocambo
Moongazer
Moongazer

Postby mocambo » Sun, 22 Apr 2018, 00:31

Isengrim wrote:I'm not terribly knowledgeable about themes on Linux, but I know with the Mint Y Dark theme text coloring seems to render fine, so my guess is that it's an issue with the particular theme you're using.

Forms elements renders wrong also with Adwaita-Dark, official Xfce-dusk themes. These are very popular and well developed themes too. Same time in all cases Firefox shows white text on dark background as expected. Palemoon default theme is linked against Firefox default theme. Strange.

I use Manjaro Xfce.

Does anyone have experiences with that ?
Last edited by mocambo on Sun, 22 Apr 2018, 02:08, edited 1 time in total.

Walter Dnes
Lunatic
Lunatic

Postby Walter Dnes » Mon, 23 Apr 2018, 04:56

I don't know if you'd accept a Pale Moon add on, leaving the rest of your desktop in standard mode. The Advanced Night Mode addon makes things easier on my eyes. It's at http://addons.palemoon.org/addon/advanced-night-mode/ Here's a screenshot.
Attachments
anm.gif
Adcanced Night Mode example
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

mocambo
Moongazer
Moongazer

Postby mocambo » Mon, 23 Apr 2018, 23:01

Walter Dnes wrote:I don't know if you'd accept a Pale Moon add on, leaving the rest of your desktop in standard mode. The Advanced Night Mode addon makes things easier on my eyes. It's at http://addons.palemoon.org/addon/advanced-night-mode/ Here's a screenshot.

Thanks ! This addon is the one option.

Little investigated around - the dark theme problem in Palemoon is inherited from Firefox. Firefox (and now also Palemoon) seem to be the only browser which leaks system theme colors to web pages.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1283086

Lew Rockwell Fan
Moonbather
Moonbather

Postby Lew Rockwell Fan » Wed, 09 May 2018, 16:35

FWIW, I've tinkered with colors quite a bit, and overall I've had the best results by setting the desired colors in PM's native prefs and using a light-fg/dark-bg system theme in addition. I use the "Page Colors and Fonts Buttons" extension with the buttons placed on the menu bar for the occasional page I suspect of not displaying correctly. In the past I've had good results using stylish to tweak specific pages, but it doesn't seem to work anymore (which I just started a thread about).

Artemis3
Moongazer
Moongazer

Postby Artemis3 » Sun, 13 May 2018, 16:15

Actually it is the other way around. Firefox and derivatives have always respected the GTK theme, it is not a "leak" into the browser but an intended behavior.

The reason why some pages fail, is bad coding practice. Some web authors "assume" default colors, and don't define them. The No.1 mistake is assuming default fg is black and default bg is white. So often, they "forget" to define one.

The common mistake is an input dialog, if your theme is dark and calls for a dark background in the input dialog, but the web author failed to define proper fg and/or bg colors, it may result in black on black input boxes.

Chrome et al simply gave up to bad coding practices, and forcibly use black fg and white bg, which in turns breaks your desktop theme experience.

For example: If you don't define either color, it will probably look correctly white fg and black bg on firefox (when using a dark GTK theme), but black fg and white bg on chrome. But, if you are a lazy author and only defined the fg color as, say "dark gray", (because black isn't your thing), but didn't bother to define bg as well, you get the dreaded black on black.

Having dealt with this accessibly issue for years, i got in the habit of always having Stylish or one of its derivatives with various dark global styles ready.

Before you think Chrome did the right thing, think for a moment who the users of dark themes are. The least they want is some shiny thing blasting white to your poor eyes, ie. the url bar or the blank/home page. So you don't want white backgrounds burning your eyes in those input boxes either, like chromium rudely does.

I would love it if the browser had a "night mode", like Xombrero, where you "turn off the lights" by just pressing a key (s one tab, S all tabs), similar to this Advanced Night Mode addon, which only misses the key binding.

Return to “Pale Moon for Linux”