Copy/Paste Text Crashes Browser Bug Error?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
crimsonwolf

Copy/Paste Text Crashes Browser Bug Error?

Unread post by crimsonwolf » 2018-04-13, 07:16

Hello, everyone. This is my first time posting in these forums. I hope I can figure out what happened here.

I was using a build of Pale Moon 27. A month or two ago, while copying and pasting foreign text (mostly Japanese kanji and its emoticons) in a text field, my browser just "exited" itself. Not a single prompt, and I disabled the Ctrl+Q function prior to this. I always have multiple tabs open, so if I want to exit, the prompt would show up. Unfortunately, I can't locate my logs for this, and since I like to have my sessions cleared on exit, this makes it harder to diagnose. I'm not sure what happened, but that was the one time it did. It led to a lot of paranoia over a remote attacker, but since I use Linux, shouldn't that be very unlikely? It's not like I download just about anything a stranger sends me. I'm quite well-versed in online security. It's just that this incident really disturbed me, and I've yet to find answers.

So, to sum it up, what I did was (1) copy a bunch of Japanese kanji and emoticons, (2) go to a page where I can submit a post in the text field, and then (3) attempt to paste the text inside. The MOMENT I hit Ctrl+V, Pale Moon EXITED. Like I said, I have it so a prompt asks me if I'd like to exit, and I had multiple tabs open. I disabled Ctrl+Q function before that. I'm not sure what happened here.

Could this be a general Firefox glitch that needs to be looked into? Please help. Thank you.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Copy/Paste Text Crashes Browser Bug Error?

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-04-13, 08:59

These are called "CTD" (crash to desktop) that doesn't actually trigger a crash handler. Lacking any information from a crash, they are pretty hard to troubleshoot, especially if hard to reproduce.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

crimsonwolf

Unread post by crimsonwolf » 2018-04-13, 09:55

I see what you are saying. Pretty unfortunate that this very rare occurrence couldn't be reproduced so easily. I was very suspicious when that happened, and the lack of answers leaves a very unpleasant feeling about this.

Perhaps someone else reading this thread could also contribute some information. It was very random.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-04-13, 12:24

Can you please post basic info.. Os, arch, site you were on, active extensions, etc.