A Pale Moon repo for Devuan/Debian

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
miroR
Fanatic
Fanatic

A Pale Moon repo for Devuan/Debian

Unread post by miroR » 2018-04-03, 18:38

title: A Pale Moon repo for Devuan/Debian
---
( I've compiled my Pale Moon for months, look up:
Building Pale Moon on Devuan fails
viewtopic.php?f=57&t=15751 )
---
Currently for advanced users only (the way to set up the /etc/apt/sources.list{,d} to apt-get palemoon for your machine, is not trivial, also because I had to hack https://github.com/freight-team/freight/ to deploy the repo [1]).
The first thing that features on my Devuan repo (likely/possibly usable for all Debian family of derivatives/forks; however: compiled without systemd, pulseaudio, and without dbus whatsoever, even build-deps, so, while I just checked, audio works fine here, all works, but don't know if it would on systemd/dbus/pulseaudio systems...) is Pale Moon:

https://www.croatiafidelis.hr/foss/dev1miro/

So... The news I posted, and will be back (in slow or faster time) to tell/do more to get this to less advanced users too.
---
[1] I've just forked the repo to https://github.com/miroR/freight and I'll try and update my fork with all the hacking that I did, and surely make a pull request or two...
Last edited by miroR on 2018-04-03, 19:44, edited 3 times in total.

bgstack15
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: A Pale Moon repo for Devuan/Debian

Unread post by bgstack15 » 2018-04-03, 18:49

Thanks! I love Devuan, and when I get some time I'll give this a shot on one of my devuan boxes. Most of my systems are Fedora right now.

miroR
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by miroR » 2018-04-03, 19:46

bgstack15 wrote:Thanks! I love Devuan, and when I get some time I'll give this a shot on one of my devuan boxes. [...]
;)

miroR
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by miroR » 2018-04-03, 21:31

There are tips how to do it that non-advanced but hard-working readers could follow now at:
A repo serving Pale Moon
https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?id=1972

Regards!

miroR
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by miroR » 2018-04-04, 11:40

Devuan folks have warned me to check:

Legal on Pale Moon potential packaging and distribution
https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?id=1974#p8218

and I did, and think that my mozconfig is legal and that I should be in compliance with the Moonchild Licensing. But...

But, pls. I'm not good at legal issues... Here's my mozconfig, for easier perusal. More knowledgeable readers at legalities, pls. do tell me if my repo is in any breach of Moonchild Productions licensing!

Code: Select all

From publicly available sources at:

[url]https://www.croatiafidelis.hr/foss/dev1miro/[/url]

[code]
/some/where/$ cat  palemoon-27.8.3~repack/debian/mozconfig 
export MOZILLA_OFFICIAL=1
export CC=gcc-4.9
export CXX=g++-4.9
mk_add_options MOZ_CO_PROJECT=browser
ac_add_options --enable-official-branding
ac_add_options --enable-application=browser
ac_add_options --enable-release
ac_add_options --disable-installer
ac_add_options --disable-updater
ac_add_options --enable-optimize="-O2 -msse2 -mfpmath=sse"
ac_add_options --disable-debug
ac_add_options --with-pthreads
ac_add_options --enable-shared-js
ac_add_options --enable-jemalloc
ac_add_options --enable-strip
ac_add_options --x-libraries=/usr/lib
ac_add_options --prefix=/usr
ac_add_options --enable-devtools
ac_add_options --disable-necko-wifi
ac_add_options --disable-gstreamer
ac_add_options --disable-precompiled-startupcache
ac_add_options --disable-accessibility
ac_add_options --disable-b2g
ac_add_options --disable-dbus
ac_add_options --disable-gamepad
ac_add_options --disable-omx-plugin
ac_add_options --disable-parental-controls
ac_add_options --disable-profiling
ac_add_options --disable-pulseaudio
ac_add_options --disable-safe-browsing
ac_add_options --disable-telemetry
ac_add_options --disable-webrtc
ac_add_options --disable-webspeech
ac_add_options --enable-alsa
ac_add_options --enable-ffmpeg
ac_add_options --enable-fmp4
ac_add_options --enable-freetype
ac_add_options --enable-gnu-ld
ac_add_options --enable-install-strip
ac_add_options --enable-jemalloc-lib
ac_add_options --enable-libjpeg-turbo
ac_add_options --enable-multithread
ac_add_options --enable-ogg
ac_add_options --enable-optimize
ac_add_options --enable-opus
ac_add_options --enable-png
ac_add_options --enable-pthreads
ac_add_options --enable-raw
ac_add_options --enable-svg
ac_add_options --enable-threads
ac_add_options --enable-threadsafe
ac_add_options --enable-wave
ac_add_options --enable-webgl
ac_add_options --enable-webm
/some/where/$ 
Cross posting the mozconfig itself (it is also at https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?id=1974#p8218), for reasons of importance.
Last edited by miroR on 2018-04-04, 11:41, edited 1 time in total.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-04-04, 11:51

miroR
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by miroR » 2018-04-04, 12:41

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:Stop using mozconfigs from crazyville. Start with.. http://developer.palemoon.org/Developer_Guide:Build_Instructions/Pale_Moon/Linux#head:Mozconfig_Files
Thanks for your kind reply/advice. Phew, I'll be studying the link you gave, but I'd suppose you would have told me upon your first sight of my mozconfig if it had been in breach of Moonchild Productions, so I hope I understand correctly that it is not.
Hmmh... Let me be clear (as best I am able to). If my mozconfig does not contain, as it effectively does not so in the least, any --with-system-<whatever>, then it is in compliance.
That's how I read your post at:
https://github.com/jasperla/openbsd-wip ... -294280747

But I'd dead tired on arrival (this is hard work for someone non-experienced in packaging and setting up a repo), so I'm not making any changes any time soon, if there isn't any urge to do so...

Phew, the mozconfig I used, for the sources and the package that I made available publicly, is legit. (Do correct me if I'm wrong.)

Regards!
Last edited by miroR on 2018-04-04, 12:43, edited 2 times in total.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-04-04, 13:14

With mozconfig.. The less the better.. I am not gonna waste my time with trying to strip down your mozconfig unless pressed. Please more closely conform yourself to our official configuration.

At this point.. The answer is no. Simply no. Revise your mozconfig.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-04-04, 13:15, edited 1 time in total.

miroR
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by miroR » 2018-04-04, 13:50

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:With mozconfig.. The less the better.. I am not gonna waste my time with trying to strip down your mozconfig unless pressed. Please more closely conform yourself to our official configuration.

At this point.. The answer is no. Simply no. Revise your mozconfig.
I hope it's not immediately that I need to remove it (I would need a few hours if I have to do have to do so immediately, as it's not at the tips of my fingers anyway).

After posting my previous post, I did read the license at http://www.palemoon.org/redist.shtml , carefully, and in all the legal details, as best I can understand. And I do understand a little better now.

From lines of my mozconfig below, I excluded those that are anyway the default as per http://developer.palemoon.org/Developer ... nfig_Files .

I do not wish to spend your time, but I do have a concern or two. I wouldn't want to abandon these, from my mozconfig:

[...]
[...]
[...]
[...]
[...]
[...]
I can do without other lines, not re-pasted in this post, from my mozconfig, that are not at the default.

But I do want to build without dbus (I intend to move my machine to complete dbus-free, and there is such tendency pretty strong among some Devuan users/developers), and without pulseaudio (pure alsa works fine on many Devuan machines).

I don't think I will mind about other lines (not reported again in this post) that are not the default (I'm really not an expert to understand all the details of all those options anyway), and even some of the ones that I listed above I might try and see to change them if really needed...

I can, but in slow time, pls. do allow time to do these changes, also because I simply will be busy with other work, completely non-related...

But, I hope in time not too rushed, I can try and put up a mozconfig here for your approval.

So, can those above remain? If not, which ones would have to be changed of the ones listed above?

And then, in some time, I'll post here a mozconfig for the next time I build Pale Moon for my, since yesterday (and it's a first in lifetime real deb repo), publicly available repo

(the aim is to make, some day, official Devuan Pale Moon packages).

Regards!
Last edited by miroR on 2018-04-04, 13:57, edited 2 times in total.

miroR
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by miroR » 2018-04-04, 15:15

Just a note. There is nothing intentional whatsoever in my unwittiness about the departure from the defaults in mozconfig making my work a candidate for official-branding unallowed.

I was Gentoo user for long years up until some less than a year ago, and used to compile Pale Moon for my machine for a few months on Gentoo before moving to Devuan... And I had all the freedom Gentoo gives, among others no pulseaudio, no dbus in my Pale Moon (which corresponds to some of the options that I want to keep, as explained in my previous post).

So no awareness whatsoever until just a few hours ago of this issue.
Last edited by miroR on 2018-04-04, 16:23, edited 2 times in total.

miroR
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by miroR » 2018-04-04, 18:17

Pasting from http://developer.palemoon.org/Developer ... Moon/Linux for clear understanding:

# Please see https://www.palemoon.org/redist.shtml for restrictions when using the official branding.

mk_add_options MOZ_OBJDIR=/home/$USER/pmbuild/

I have those in anyway, because my mozconfig is based on Steve Pusser's repo ( http://download.opensuse.org/repositori ... venpusser/ ), and in the sources from my repo it is clear that it is so.

The only thing I basically really want, is no dbus and no pulseaudio, which is not just me, but a huge portion of Devuan users don't want those (along with systemd either).

I can't go on with any of this if I don't get a reply, or a minimal explanation on what, among the ones I left, is, and what is not allowed.... That's just a few lines to consider, it's not too much time to consider.

Here are those lines again. I wish these in my mozconfig (which I would than use to recompile and republish the NMU sources and package of Pale Moon:

[...]
[...]
[...]
[...]
[...]
[...]
For clarity: these above are my wishes.

Thanks for whoever from the team find time to consider and give me a licet, you're free to compile that for publishing on https://www.croatiafidelis.hr/foss/dev1miro/ or another do more homework boy, not allowed, on the above.

And these two lines are something I simply do not want to do any work if they were not allowed:

I hope these two will be allowed, and I'd be very happy to understand if any of the wished lines just a little further above were explained to me (not asking the core devs to do that, I really wouldn't want to spend much of their time at all, but I hope other readers could tell) if they are excessive/not needed/not good or something else.
Last edited by miroR on 2018-04-04, 18:41, edited 3 times in total.

miroR
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by miroR » 2018-04-04, 21:31

The mozconfig that I want to build my next Palemoon package from to publish it, and sources, on:
https://www.croatiafidelis.hr/foss/dev1miro/
and that I am asking over at:
OpenBSD & Pale Moon: coordinating patches and officially branded package?
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=18256&p=138492#p138492
if I can do so:

export CC=gcc-4.9
export CXX=g++-4.9

ac_add_options --enable-fmp4
ac_add_options --enable-freetype
ac_add_options --enable-png
ac_add_options --enable-svg
ac_add_options --enable-wave
ac_add_options --enable-webgl
NOTE: the last ten (10) lines, all underneath --enable-ffmpeg I could go without I'd think, but then I'll need to learn about alternatives to them; thanks in advanced if anybody can give advice on them.

OTOH, the first 24 lines are the defaults! They are just as in http://developer.palemoon.org/Developer ... nfig_Files .

So, if we exclude those 10 last lines, it's really all down to these, whether perm will be granted for distributing such Pale Moon, or not:

EDIT: my wish is also: ac_add_options --disable-safe-browsing (which on first posting I forgot to include, included it only now 2018-04-04 21:50:43+00:00; that's google, and it is, as all things google, for surveillance purposes more than anything, so not good)

Thank you for your kind consideration!
Last edited by miroR on 2018-04-04, 21:52, edited 1 time in total.

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2018-04-04, 22:19

miroR wrote:

A few notes...
  • The official answer will be from Moochild. If he doesn't answer on this thread, PM him.
  • Licence http://www.palemoon.org/redist.shtml paragraph 15 allows you to distribute non-standard versions if you remove official branding.
  • Enabling dbus requires additional dbus libraries on the build machine and on the end-user's machine. The only thing I'm aware of that dbus is used for is to communicate with screensavers to disable them when playing video. And that doesn't always work, as noted in thread https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=18798
  • Enabling pulseaudio requires pulseaudio on the build machine, but not on the end-user's machine. If the end-user machine only has alsa, it'll still work with Pale Moon, including sound. Are you sure that nobody using your version will have pulseaudio?
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-04-05, 01:15

Your revisions on your mozconfig are looking way better dude.. Disabling dbus is allowed if dbus is causing an issue or not avaiable on a distro level when making a repo for public consumption with offical branding. Same goes with pulseaudio..

Your personal likes and dislikes cannot be a factor in this.. Keep at it.. You are getting close it would be a shame if you stopped now..
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-04-05, 01:17, edited 1 time in total.

miroR
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by miroR » 2018-04-05, 07:17

My reply to New Tobin Paradigm is in the bottom part of this post.
---
Hi Walter Dnes, I'm really glad that I read from you again. (And Gentoo is missing in my life, but I'm not such powerful user to compile/run/maintain it alongside Devuan, not yet, but I hope I will be back to Gentoo community :) )
Walter Dnes wrote:
miroR wrote:

A few notes...
  • The official answer will be from Moochild. If he doesn't answer on this thread, PM him.
Tobin, who is a prominent member of the Moonchild Productions team, I'd believe is authoritative enough. And also publicly posting is, IMO, always quicker and cleaner, and more reliable way when it comes to IP issues. Maybe I shouldn't digress, but while I had manipulation of posts of mine in Gentoo Forums, I love it that, even when they're not perfect, such as more kindness would be desirable in communication, even when one is absolutely in the right, Pale Moon forum admins do not hide, delete or manipulate posts of their users in the least...
So while eventually, in case of contestation of some kind --which this is not-- it would be necessary to contact the man of the final say, the public conversations so far, should perfectly suffice in this case.
[*]Licence http://www.palemoon.org/redist.shtml paragraph 15 allows you to distribute non-standard versions if you remove official branding.
No, New Moon is not the way to go. In complex project like this, a (would-be) packager (me in this case) should stick with the official support. Issues can crop up in such complex projects that only the genius that keep all the threads of such project, and no one or close to no one else in the world, can solve. Relinquishing on the official support, I don't think that would be the way to go.
[*]Enabling dbus requires additional dbus libraries on the build machine and on the end-user's machine. The only thing I'm aware of that dbus is used for is to communicate with screensavers to disable them when playing video. And that doesn't always work, as noted in thread https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=18798
Thanks for this information. I'll study it.
[*]Enabling pulseaudio requires pulseaudio on the build machine, but not on the end-user's machine. If the end-user machine only has alsa, it'll still work with Pale Moon, including sound. Are you sure that nobody using your version will have pulseaudio?[/list]
A very good question! I'll need to discuss this on Devuan Forums, and DNG Devuan Mailng list. That remains to be solved.
I want Devuan users with pure alsa to not be deprived of the sound, but if other Devuan users have pulseaudio, audio must work on their machines too. I need to find more information/gain more understanding on this.

Thank you, Walter Dnes for this piece of support.
---
New Tobin Paradigm wrote:Your revisions on your mozconfig are looking way better dude.. Disabling dbus is allowed if dbus is causing an issue or not avaiable on a distro level when making a repo for public consumption with offical branding. Same goes with pulseaudio..
Really great to hear that! :)
Your personal likes and dislikes cannot be a factor in this..
Yeah, I see. I thought last night after making the last edit (the addition of the -disable-safe-browsing) which was just before going to sleep, so there was no time to add this thought: safe-browsing I will have to compile in (I guess it's the default, so just removing the --disable-safe-browsing from mozconfig will compile it, but...

But I believe it is free to offer to users right upon installation, in some way (which I will have to learn how to do, yet, anybody, how can that be accomplished?), with a click or two, to disable it on their machines.
Keep at it.. You are getting close it would be a shame if you stopped now..
I am doing some more thinking next. Be back with another mozconfig revision. Thanks! :)
Last edited by miroR on 2018-04-05, 07:20, edited 1 time in total.

miroR
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by miroR » 2018-04-05, 08:40

export CC=gcc-4.9
export CXX=g++-4.9

This is the config that I'm right next starting to compile with, as I hope it complies with Moonchild Productions redistribution license. It is, in the least, certainly way more compliant than the package and the sources it is about to replace (in a few hours) at my fresh (since the day before yesterday) repo.

But still, in case there is anything in it that does not comply with the redist license, do correct me, and I'll try and modify it anew.

The remaining issues, esp. those that Walter Dnes raised (esp. about pulseaudio, but also other issues/doubts/other... e.g. the options that I used previously --the last 10 lines of the mozconfig in my before previous post-- which are taken from Walter's mozconfig elsewhere, gentle reader, see my long-months Pale Moon compilation topic linked at the top of this topic)... Some of those options do not remain in this mozconfig, others remain, but may prove an obstacle to potential users... I don't know how much I and users with similarly built machines like me will be missing the first, or how much of an obstacle to other (potential) users of my package the latter options will present ...

I think I'll try and do/think/question/apply/do-whatever-else-I-should-do to see to the above.

And, in case this mozconfig is still not compliant (shouldn't anymore be the case, but still, others have the say), if necessary, I can restart compilation from scratch with more modifications, in case they will be acceptable to me. But that is theory, I hope. All should now go smoothly...

The missing to some users/ the ones that could prove as obstacle to other users, that remains to be solved...

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2018-04-05, 11:56

miroR wrote:The missing to some users/ the ones that could prove as obstacle to other users, that remains to be solved...
The only change I'd recommend to your mozconfig is to enable both pulseaudio and alsa. That's how the official version works. The same binary will run fine on an alsa-only machine or a pulseaudio machine. A quick Google search shows pulseaudio is available on Devuan.
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2018-04-05, 13:26

I'm late to the party but miroR that latest mozconfig is looking good! Couple small nits:

The --enable-alsa option is redundant, as alsa support it compiled by default even without it being included in the mozconfig.
As Walter mentioned, compiling with puleaudio support doesn't mean that Pale Moon will require it. If enabled, Pale Moon will still use alsa if Pulse is not installed on the system.

Also to answer your question regarding safe-browsing (I don't see where it's been answered yet), all safe browsing code has been removed from Pale Moon. It can't be enabled because it doesn't exist in our code.

miroR
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by miroR » 2018-04-05, 16:48

I had other occupation firs for some two hours, and then I went straight into compiling. I'm back with a Build ID 20180405150912, that's 15:09:12 started compiling, but the log where I store all the stdout bears timestamp 2018-04-05 15:35, meaning it took a little less than 1/2 hour compiling. That was however the 13th attempt, and the only successful. It is running, apparently fine, on another machine.
I want to dedicate now to hacking Freight a little (I gave the links somewhere, in this topic, more closer to top, and explained, there and elsewhere, but all linked to, about it, except the new issues on Freight github, findable by browsing there, but current date and yesterday).
Have to hack Freight, because I want to install on this online machine from my repo. All this knowhow is still new to me (on top of Freight not working fully without modifications) have to, will take unknown length of (hopefully not too long) more time.

So these:
Walter Dnes wrote:
miroR wrote:The missing to some users/ the ones that could prove as obstacle to other users, that remains to be solved...
The only change I'd recommend to your mozconfig is to enable both pulseaudio and alsa. That's how the official version works. The same binary will run fine on an alsa-only machine or a pulseaudio machine. A quick Google search shows pulseaudio is available on Devuan.
which is probably the best way to go. And it is a TODO for the next compilation. Thanks!
trava90 wrote:I'm late to the party but miroR that latest mozconfig is looking good! Couple small nits:

The --enable-alsa option is redundant, as alsa support it compiled by default even without it being included in the mozconfig.
As Walter mentioned, compiling with puleaudio support doesn't mean that Pale Moon will require it. If enabled, Pale Moon will still use alsa if Pulse is not installed on the system.

Also to answer your question regarding safe-browsing (I don't see where it's been answered yet), all safe browsing code has been removed from Pale Moon. It can't be enabled because it doesn't exist in our code.
Thanks guys. Great to know. Important and useful notes to read and to know! :)

And let me just add that I had to add two options to my mozconfig. It is otherwise just as I posted in my previous post in this topic. These:

ac_add_options --disable-necko-wifi
ac_add_options --disable-precompiled-startupcache
I can post, but after the Fright work that I will be all in for some time, the error messages that showed the need for those.

Regards!

miroR
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by miroR » 2018-04-05, 16:50

Ah I forgot. More after the Freight work, because once the package and the sources are published it is easier to talk.