Palemoon for Linux and WLAN access Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Raava
Fanatic
Fanatic

Palemoon for Linux and WLAN access

Unread post by Raava » 2018-03-18, 00:27

I am currently not able to use the most recent palemoon while typing this forum post (since I had issues going online it took a while to post this. Back then it was via downloading palemoon-27.7.2.en-US.linux-i686.tar.bz2)

Reason: I can only go online via WLAN. The WLAN in question shows to be open and unencrypted via the WLAN symbol in the OS. However, when I go on "connect" and start the browser, I get redirected to a https page where I have to put in my username and password for this very WLAN access. For some reason the most recent version of PM (27.7.2 for i586 Linux) is unable to do so, at times I can access the page with the username and password, but the request to access the network is never done right.
I was able to download the most recent Firefox via an OS bash script that resulted in having also firefox-59.0b12-i686. This firefox uses some kind of "wlan access.txt" file (sorry I forgot to note the correct name of the file FFx used, this is just recalled from memory) that handles the access to the above described WLAN, and I can only browse the web right now using that firefox, the recent palemoon is unfortunately not able to give me the access.
Any ideas on how to to fix that?
yours truly, Rava

terranigma

Re: Palemoon for Linux and WLAN access

Unread post by terranigma » 2018-03-18, 03:14

Run PM on terminal to read its output, there may be some useful output regarding problem. You can also watch console output in detail by "strace" utility.

Code: Select all

$ strace palemoon

Raava
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Raava » 2018-03-18, 20:32

terranigma wrote:Run PM on terminal to read its output, there may be some useful output regarding problem. You can also watch console output in detail by "strace" utility.

$ strace palemoon
Okay next time I am able to get the Laptop there I try both tips.
Could take some days though since usually I only take my Android with me.
yours truly, Rava

Raava
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Raava » 2018-03-24, 13:22

I started palemoon via X terminal, but there is no info output at all:

~$ palemoon

I only get this webpage trying to log into the https page with the login name and password for that very WLAN:

Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during a connection to *****.de.

Cannot communicate securely with peer: no common encryption algorithm(s).

(Error code: ssl_error_no_cypher_overlap)

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
    Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.
Now, let's see how Firefox handles it, I now also have another FFx version, an ESR version (52.7.2esr-i586), let's try this one first.

FFx tries to load a web page ( https://www.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/52.7.2/firstrun/ ) but that page says

Login to network

This network may require you to login to access the internet.
[ Open login page ]  [ Advanced ]
I click on "Open login page"... and nothing happens.
Switchng to another tab and trying to access duckduckgo.com redirects me again to the https WLAN login page.
I again type in my username and password, and get connected to the WLAN network.

So, FFx 2 (last time it worked using V 59.0b12-i686), Palemoon (V 27.7.2) 0 points when it comes to accessing this very WLAN...
yours truly, Rava

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2018-03-25, 05:44

The problem and the solutions: Secure connection errors? **READ THIS FIRST!**