Leaving Pale Moon

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
llewellen

Leaving Pale Moon

Unread post by llewellen » 2018-03-14, 15:38

Too many instances of minor annoyances, with Pale Moon asserting that it's the rest of the world that's out of step. Refusing to connect to perfectly legitimate sites with which Firefox has no issues. Messing with the formatting in my email client (Zoho) that Firefox does not do. On and on.

I'm not thrilled with Firefox but I'm done with daily annoyances and Pale Moon saying "You can't get there from here". Good luck.

Mint 18.3 Cinnamon 3.6.7

fillerup

Re: Leaving Pale Moon

Unread post by fillerup » 2018-03-14, 16:47

leaving aside the manner in which you voiced your dissatisfaction, i have to agree that there's been some chinks in Pale Moon's armor lately. a broken site here, non loading site there.. when it happens multiple times a day the frustration can add up for sure

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-03-14, 17:33

llewellen wrote:Refusing to connect to perfectly legitimate sites with which Firefox has no issues.
So you are leaving because Firefox lets you connect to sites with bad security configuration.. K.

You do know, departures like this don't mean anything to us.. We only care about CURRENT users and their issues.. not past users. I hope you find something that works for you because you SHOULD use what works for you.. We have said this a million times.. But this thread is irrelevant.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-03-14, 17:33, edited 1 time in total.

llewellen

Unread post by llewellen » 2018-03-14, 17:52

"So you are leaving because Firefox lets you connect to sites with bad security configuration"

No, I'm leaving because contrary to what Pale Moon insists, the entire world is not out of step. Examples? I tried to connect to the employment board at a local municipality. Pale Moon wouldn't. I tried to connect to a local university to look at their online calendar. Pale Moon wouldn't.

And why is Pale Moon messing with the formatting in my email client?????

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-03-14, 17:55

llewellen wrote:"So you are leaving because Firefox lets you connect to sites with bad security configuration"

No, I'm leaving because contrary to what Pale Moon insists, the entire world is not out of step. Examples? I tried to connect to the employment board at a local municipality. Pale Moon wouldn't. I tried to connect to a local university to look at their online calendar. Pale Moon wouldn't.

And why is Pale Moon messing with the formatting in my email client?????
How about examples that include the actual URLs so we can test them against SSL Labs see what exactly the issue is on each case..

Also, email client? formatting? Clarify.

llewellen

Unread post by llewellen » 2018-03-14, 18:06

@New Tobin Paradigm: I'm not a developer nor a beta tester so I'm not interested in debugging Pale Moon.

The email web app is Zoho Mail. Pale Moon arbitrarily has begun inserting 2 or 3 empty lines at the beginning of every new mail I compose or reply to. Firefox does not do that.

I also didn't mention that at least one app that I want to use from the arch repository as a panel launcher doesn't support Pale Moon.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-03-14, 18:10

Well that is a website not a client.. Who knows what is going on with Zoho Mail.. Likely some crazy js mangling..

You still haven't cited the sites you mentioned that you have had issues connecting to..

GMforker

Unread post by GMforker » 2018-03-14, 18:45

llewellen wrote:Pale Moon arbitrarily has begun inserting 2 or 3 empty lines at the beginning of every new mail I compose or reply to. Firefox does not do that.
Unfortunately, I do not see the difference between PM 27.8.1 and Firefox 52.7 ESR or Firefox 61 Nightly (now).

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2018-03-14, 23:19

llewellen wrote:@New Tobin Paradigm: I'm not a developer nor a beta tester so I'm not interested in debugging Pale Moon
Providing a couple of links of what doesn't work for you is hardly debugging or beta testing. I understand your frustration -your impatience a bit less- but let's not exaggerate.
Last edited by back2themoon on 2018-03-14, 23:19, edited 1 time in total.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-03-15, 00:38

Meh, ignore him.. He's leaving ;)

mr tribute
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by mr tribute » 2018-03-15, 01:59

llewellen wrote:@New Tobin Paradigm: I'm not a developer nor a beta tester so I'm not interested in debugging Pale Moon.

I also didn't mention that at least one app that I want to use from the arch repository as a panel launcher doesn't support Pale Moon.
Sorry, but I simply cannot resist this; Isn't beta tester and Arch user pretty much the same thing? I mean if you installed Arch from scratch you sure know a thing or two about troubleshooting software. Not to mention the skills required to keep your Arch system running smoothly. You seem more than qualified to be a beta tester. At least provide necessary info so other people can troubleshoot. But you do as you wish. Free software is always give and take. :!:

EDIT: So your first post says Linux Mint... whatever, this thread feels pointless unless more info is provided.
Last edited by mr tribute on 2018-03-15, 02:18, edited 1 time in total.

RJARRRPCGP
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by RJARRRPCGP » 2018-03-15, 02:23

New Tobin Paradigm wrote: So you are leaving because Firefox lets you connect to sites with bad security configuration.. K.
Roger that! Looks like another rage quitter...

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-03-15, 02:47

A troll perhapse?

RJARRRPCGP
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by RJARRRPCGP » 2018-03-15, 03:04

Wouldn't be surprised, with the fact that I saw Pale Moon get trash-talked, right when I started craving it, IIRC, LOL.

bgstack15
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by bgstack15 » 2018-03-15, 12:30

I keep re-thinking using Arch Linux again. I'm a rpm-distro guy, but since I'm getting more and more interesting in compiling software myself (Pale Moon included!), I find all these weird little problems in the fc libs or compilers. Sometimes something is out of date, or filename oddities prevent correct operations.

Pale Moon is one of the first things I would attempt to compile if/when I try Arch Linux again!

Edit: It's not clear, so I felt like I should add: I do compile Pale Moon on Fedora already; I'm not just a wannabe. I'd link to it, but that might be seen as spam but if you search my name and "palemoon" you'd find it.
Last edited by bgstack15 on 2018-03-15, 12:37, edited 1 time in total.

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2018-03-15, 15:43

llewellen wrote: Examples? I tried to connect to the employment board at a local municipality. Pale Moon wouldn't. I tried to connect to a local university to look at their online calendar. Pale Moon wouldn't.
Could you please give the URL for these sites? I'd like to see if I have trouble connecting, too.
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

TwoTankAmin
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by TwoTankAmin » 2018-03-15, 17:21

Some people in this thread need to learn how to use Google Search. When they do, please do the following two searches to discover why you tend to have issues using your device or devices and Pale Moon.

Search #1 "KISS theory"
Search #2 "Murphy;'s law"

If you are reasonable intelligent, you should learn that the cause of most issues is not the software out of the box, it is what one adds to it and/or what one does trying to modify it.

For most folks out there what they want in a browser, app or add-on is that if does something they like. The other side of the coin is they also do not care what they are actually giving up for it. I value my privacy more than any function a browser, an add-on or an app mightoffer. That is why I said goodbye to all the other browsers available to me.

One more phrase some folks should also know here would be, "Don't let the door hit you on your way out."
Or, as the lyrics in song said "Na na na na, na na na na, hey hey, goodbye" :wave:
“No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson