Pale moon with linux

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
thomaskarr

Pale moon with linux

Unread post by thomaskarr » 2018-03-14, 08:09

Hi,
I didn't know exactly where to post that thread, but it's a support question and indeed I am a beginner.
I want to switch to Pale Moon as a Xubuntu user but I wonder when Pale Moon builts for Linux will be in the Ubuntu software center? As an open source project it has it's place there.

That's the only thing I am waiting for in order to make the switch to Linux and avoid the horror of FF Australis. It's easier to install/uninstall from there and from there the updates are taken in charge by the Update manager.

Thanks.

fillerup

Re: Pale moon with linux

Unread post by fillerup » 2018-03-14, 16:44

you don't need to rely on your package manager for Pale Moon, use the pminstaller tool provided here to install/update Pale Moon easily and flawlessly

https://linux.palemoon.org/download/installer/

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2018-03-14, 18:21

There is also an apt repository with Pale Moon packages...

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2018-03-15, 23:09

This tutorial may help you to use the repository.
How to correctly install Pale Moon in Ubuntu 14.04 from the repository
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

Lew Rockwell Fan

Unread post by Lew Rockwell Fan » 2018-03-18, 22:23

thomaskarr wrote:I wonder when Pale Moon builts for Linux will be in the Ubuntu software center?
A substantive answer to the implied question, like the others above:
Go here:
https://software.opensuse.org/download. ... e=palemoon
Click the Ubuntu logo.
Click "Add repository and install manually"
Follow the instructions that appear.

But a literal answer to the explicit question might clarify things:
When either of the following happen:
-You do the above, or something equivalent
OR
-The Ubuntu people both decide they want to put it there and then get around to it.

and then you update like this

Code: Select all

sudo apt update
or whatever the equivalent is in the Ubuntu Software Center.

When either one of the first 2 things happen, followed by the third, that is "when Pale Moon builts for Linux will be in the Ubuntu software center". First either Canonical has to put it somewhere the Ubuntu Software Center already knows to look for packages, or you have to tell it an additional place to look. Then, after it knows WHERE to look, you have to tell it to go ahead and look.

If you want to know if and when the Ubuntu people will get around to putting it in the repos you have enabled by default, that is really a question for Canonical or at least the Ubuntu forums or the askubuntu group on stackexchange.

Does that clarify how this sort of thing works?