-P ProfileName & --profile /path/profile not working Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Lew Rockwell Fan

-P ProfileName & --profile /path/profile not working

Unread post by Lew Rockwell Fan » 2018-03-13, 22:38

I can't get Pale Moon to start directly (as opposed to through the profile manager gui dialog) with any profile but the default.

From "palemoon --help":

Pale Moon options
-P <profile> Start with <profile>.
--profile <path> Start with profile at <path>.
--ProfileManager Start with ProfileManager.

But all 3 of those do pretty much the same thing. If PM is already running they open another tab or window in the same profile. If not, they open the profile manager.

I've also tried lower case -p, --profile='/path/to/profile', changing browser.link.open_newwindow to 2, and adding most possible permutations of --new-instance, --no-remote, & -new-window.

What am I doing wrong?

------
Ubuntu 16.04 built from mini.iso with X, lightdm, and plain Openbox, no DE. amd64. Pale Moon 27.8.1 (64-bit).
Last edited by Lew Rockwell Fan on 2018-03-13, 22:42, edited 1 time in total.

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: -P ProfileName & --profile /path/profile not working

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2018-03-14, 04:52

Lew Rockwell Fan wrote:I can't get Pale Moon to start directly (as opposed to through the profile manager gui dialog) with any profile but the default.

From "palemoon --help":

Pale Moon options
-P <profile> Start with <profile>.
--profile <path> Start with profile at <path>.
--ProfileManager Start with ProfileManager.
I know this is going to sound "picky picky picky", but forcing a specific profile has to be done in conjunction with either "-no-remote" or "-new-instance". Those 2 are equivalant, you can use either/or. Here are some snippets from my ICEWM menu...

/home/waltdnes/pm/palemoon/palemoon -new-instance -p dslr
/home/waltdnes/pm/palemoon/palemoon -new-instance -p graphs
/home/waltdnes/pm/palemoon/palemoon -new-instance -p palemoon
/home/waltdnes/pm/palemoon/palemoon -new-instance -p slashdot
/home/waltdnes/pm/palemoon/palemoon -new-instance -p youtube

As mentioned previously, you can use "-no-remote" in place of "-new-instance". Output from "palemoon --help" mentions this.
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

Lew Rockwell Fan

Re: -P ProfileName & --profile /path/profile not working

Unread post by Lew Rockwell Fan » 2018-03-14, 06:04

Thanks. In trying to figure why yours worked & mine didn't . . . oh, tell the truth and shame the devil, I was focused so on the command syntax, I hadn't noticed I'd used a lower case letter that should have been a capital in the name of the profile. I'm an idiot sometimes.

It's the kind of goof I'd expect to elicit an error message like "No such profile - starting profile manager" or at least "bad argument" in a terminal, but there was none. Which is why I assumed I'd misunderstood the syntax.
Last edited by Lew Rockwell Fan on 2018-03-14, 07:53, edited 6 times in total.