Any drawbacks to running directly from the extracted tar? Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Lew Rockwell Fan

Any drawbacks to running directly from the extracted tar?

Unread post by Lew Rockwell Fan » 2018-03-08, 01:21

Are there any disadvantages to running directly from the executable file after extracting the tar and storing in a filesystem mounted with exec permission?

I did that for a while on my last round of tinker-until-it-breaks and it SEEMED to work fine until, well . . . until it didn't. Then I opened it and half my ui customization was gone. Extensions were still there, but buttons I'd placed on tool bars had disappeared. Some of them I could add back, but others were not to be found. For that matter, I lost a whole tool bar & the add-custom-toolbar function ceased to to work.

But I don't know that it happened because of how I was running it. I tinker a lot. I break stuff a lot. I back up stuff a lot too, but sometimes not fast enough to keep up with the breaking. Mea culpa. Them's the breaks. (The nice thing about the internet is people who don't like puns can't throw stuff at you.)

Please correct me if I'm wrong: I percieve these advantages in running from the extracted tar:

1-I can put it in a file system that is accessible from all my 64 bit 'nixes (I n-boot, and n is large & variable) & not have to worry about synching bookmarks, cookies, passwords, and so on. Because they all run the same code from the same place and, AND HERE IS WHERE I MIGHT BE WRONG, store all the changes made, like extensions, prefs, & bookmarks, in the same place. Like "portable", but not "live" with a virtual fs overlay, nor semi-live with a persistence file, but instead - ordinary persistent changes made the same way they would be on an ordinary installed system - just kept in a different part of the file system.

2- It's really, really easy to back it up. Just gotta get sumbody to kick me so I remember. Consequently when I break it, it's easy to fix. Just rm -r that tree & cp --preserve=all the last backup to the directory name the link in my menu points at.

Am I missing something? Is there more likely to be a problem with stability or updating for instance? Or some other reason to prefer a conventional installation?

Thanks for your thoughts.
Last edited by Lew Rockwell Fan on 2018-03-08, 03:39, edited 3 times in total.

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: Any drawbacks to running directly from the extracted tar?

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2018-03-08, 03:38

Running the same extracted tarball is not a problem.
Lew Rockwell Fan wrote:AND HERE IS WHERE I MIGHT BE WRONG, store all the changes made, like extensions, prefs, & bookmarks, in the same place.
That's the problem. Profiles are stored in $HOME/.moonchild productions/pale moon/ and of course the definition of the $HOME directory changes with each linux instance.

And here's a preemptive answer to the obvious hack... what if you set up the same $HOME for all instances of linux? Don't... just don't. It gets really ugly really quickly.
  • Different distros have different settings in user init files (~/.bashrc ~/.bash_profile etc etc). The "right settings" for one distro may be wrong for another one.
  • Can you be certain that your user is assigned the same UID in all instances? If not, a regular user from one instance won't be able to change settings/files that a regular user from another instance wrote. And running regular applications as root is not recommended.
  • screwing up a profile in one instance screws up that profile in all instances
  • Plugins are stored in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins which will be different for each instance
Your best bet is to regularly synchronize the $HOME/.moonchild productions directory. e.g.
  • have a "central_location" that is mounted by each linux instance.
  • at startup
    rm -rf $HOME/.moonchild\ productions
    cp -a <central_location>/.moonchild\ productions $HOME
  • before logging off
    rm -rf <central_location>/.moonchild\ productions
    cp -a $HOME/.moonchild\ productions <central_location>/.moonchild\ productions
    (root/sudo privileges may be required here)
There is also https://www.palemoon.org/sync/ which can sync