Sorry

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
greyowl

Sorry

Unread post by greyowl » 2018-03-03, 18:53

The other day I posted a query about when the Linux version of PM 27.8.0 would be available.
I was surprised by the response that I received: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=18472

I thought it was a legitimate question. I was expecting that it would take a few days for the Linux version to be finished. I just wanted know when to check back later to get the update.

I was not feeling impatient and did not intent to pressure anyone or seem ungrateful for the effort people put into the development of PM.

I certainly apologize for any offense I may have caused.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Sorry

Unread post by ron_1 » 2018-03-03, 19:09

greyowl wrote:
I was expecting that it would take a few days for the Linux version to be finished.
The Linux version usually follows about an hour or two after the Windows version (I'm not exactly sure about the time, could be less). I've never seen it take days though.

The maintainer of the Linux build always posts news of the Linux release at the link below. I think there's a way to "subscribe" to that thread so that you can receive an email when he posts there. He only posts Linux releases there so you'll know the new version is available once you get the email.

https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=6549
Last edited by ron_1 on 2018-03-03, 19:14, edited 1 time in total.

greyowl

Unread post by greyowl » 2018-03-03, 19:11

Thanks for the clarification on this.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-03-03, 19:14

It's been a trend especially lately that people on Linux display 0 tolerance for having a delayed release despite it being common for any software that needs to be updated in package managers and the likes.
Seeing "yet another" post moments after the Windows announcement "When will it be done??" despite it being mentioned that Linux will follow shortly is of course seen as yet another impatient request.

The general answer for anyone on Linux is and will always be: if nothing special is mentioned in the original announcement, the Linux binaries will be published as soon as Travis gets around to doing so. That is generally within a few hours, but may be sooner or later depending on his schedule. Availability in package managers depends entirely on the maintainers of the individual distro packagers.
Last edited by Moonchild on 2018-03-03, 19:15, edited 1 time in total.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

greyowl

Unread post by greyowl » 2018-03-03, 19:20

I now understand better how the system works--thanks.

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2018-03-04, 16:26

No offense taken. As Moonchild mentioned there's been a growing number of "When will Linux be released??" threads pop up for the last several releases of Pale Moon. Since I took over as the Linux maintainer, the Linux version has always been released the same day as Windows (though usually a few hours behind due to my schedule and time zone differences). So with that said, you can understand my frustration at seeing another thread asking for the Linux version.

greyowl

Unread post by greyowl » 2018-03-04, 16:44

I understand and thanks for the explanation.
Now that I have subscribed to your announcement thread, I will rely on it in order to know when to update. I'm never in a hurry to update, but more concerned that I will forget to do it when it is needed (at age 71 memory is not the best).
I sure appreciate you building the version for us linux users.
Thanks again.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-03-04, 16:47

@ travis

You know I've been on this forum site starting with windows Pale Moon since October of 2011 and now, primarily as a linux Pale Moon user. I've never badgered you about "when is the next linux Pale Moon going to be released" and I never will since I know you will release linux Pale Moon when it is ready.

I just want to let you know publicly how grateful I am when you stepped up to be the maintainer for linux Pale Moon and appreciate all that you do for linux Pale Moon.
Last edited by Night Wing on 2018-03-04, 16:48, edited 1 time in total.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2018-08-25, 16:44

I know this thread is starting to get old, but since my post up above now contains out-dated information, I thought it best to update it. The outdated info is the link to the now old and unused thread for PM Linux release notes up to version 27. New link to the new Release notes starting for PM version 28 below:
I wrote:
The maintainer of the Linux build always posts news of the Linux release at the link below. I think there's a way to "subscribe" to that thread so that you can receive an email when he posts there. He only posts Linux releases there so you'll know the new version is available once you get the email.
https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19907
Last edited by ron_1 on 2018-08-25, 16:51, edited 1 time in total.

greyowl

Unread post by greyowl » 2018-08-25, 16:53

Thanks for the new link. I have subscribed.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2018-08-25, 16:58

You're welcome.