how to drag a tab to the bookmarks bar?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
rayandrews

how to drag a tab to the bookmarks bar?

Unread post by rayandrews » 2018-02-28, 02:31

Just installed. Everything seems fine but I can't drag to the bookmarks bar. Sent this question a few minutes ago, but it seems to have disappeared, hope this doesn't end up as a duplicate

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: how to drag a tab to the bookmarks bar?

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-02-28, 04:18

In order to avoid spam bots, the first 3 posts have to be approved by someone "before" the posts can be seen publicly.

As for dragging, I have no problem dragging a favorite to my Bookmarks Toolbar to where I want it. I'm using 64 bit linux Pale Moon 27.7.2 running in 64 linux Mint 18.3 (Sylvia) xfce.

And when I came over from Firefox almost 7 years ago, I started with a clean profile which means nothing from a Firefox profile.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2018-02-28, 04:20

AFAIK, you can't drag a tab from the Tab Bar to the Bookmarks Toolbar. Instead you have to drag the favicon in the URL Bar to the Bookmarks Toolbar.

EDIT: Actually, I just tried it again, and you can drag-and-drop tabs into the Bookmarks Toolbar. You just have to be sure to grab the favicon. (Additionally, the tab has to be fully loaded.)
Last edited by gracious1 on 2018-02-28, 04:30, edited 2 times in total.
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

rayandrews

Unread post by rayandrews » 2018-02-28, 15:42

What's a favicon? Sorry, I'm not very adept with all the jargon. Anyway, I tried every possible combination of grabs and drags and nothing sticks. I get that 'shadow' or whatever you call it, that indicates that the 'grab' has happened, but when I unclick it glides back to where it came from.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-02-28, 15:48

A favicon is a word that descends from Internet Explorer's terminology for Bookmarks which is Favorites so is the Favorite Icon or favicon.. It has become the defacto name for icons websites provide and end up in the Address Bar, Tab, and Bookmarks.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-02-28, 15:50, edited 2 times in total.

rayandrews

Unread post by rayandrews » 2018-02-28, 16:01

So where do I find this thing? You know, one of the things I hate about anything GUI (I'm a CLI fanatic at heart) it that it's next to impossible to describe what to do via voice or text. I have basically four bars: 'File, Edit ...' bar, forward, backward, reload, home, URL bar, then the bookmarks bar that nothing sticks to, then the tabs bar. Where is this favicon?

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2018-02-28, 16:19

rayandrews wrote:So where do I find this thing? You know, one of the things I hate about anything GUI (I'm a CLI fanatic at heart) it that it's next to impossible to describe what to do via voice or text. I have basically four bars: 'File, Edit ...' bar, forward, backward, reload, home, URL bar, then the bookmarks bar that nothing sticks to, then the tabs bar. Where is this favicon?
It's the little icon at the left end of the address bar. See where I have the red arrow pointing in the attached image.
favicon eample
favicon eample
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

rayandrews

Unread post by rayandrews » 2018-02-28, 16:48

That was my guess. Seems I just had to quit and restart! All working as expected now, thanks all. Dunno why it wouldn't work on first run, but nevermind.