Bookmark Menu

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Fedor2

Re: Bookmark Menu

Unread post by Fedor2 » 2018-02-28, 20:34

Off-topic:
can not be opened with the popular archive manager 7-Zip
That was not true, 7-zip handle it good, and even make better compression.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-02-28, 20:59

Actually, most versions of 7zip can't read an index reordered zip file like a mozilla optimized jar file..

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2018-02-28, 22:08

Why are we even having this discussion? See the first attachment, showing the top of my screen. This is all done via the standard menu system; no about:config or xml hackery required. The second attachment shows the contents of the "View ==> Toolbars". Note that only "Menu Bar" is checked/enabled, with the other bars being unchecked/disabled.

Next step is getting the address bar and search bar on the top with the menu bar. In the "View ==> Toolbars" menu, click on "Customize". This puts you into a mode where you can literally drag-n-drop the address and search bar onto the menu bar. Click on "Done", and it sticks.
page.png
page2.png
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

pmunix

Unread post by pmunix » 2018-03-01, 14:51

I'm sorry that my question is giving so much confusion. I can reassure that my intentions have nothing to do with ill faith or trolling the forum. I’m new because yesterday was the first time I used the forum to ask a question.

A browser window without the Bookmark Menu rolled out is in my opinion a nicer user experience. On our Linux system we have multiple users so the best is to have a system wide configuration or setup. That is why “Just do it with a mouse click” is not good enough. I’m looking for a way to do this on one location for all users. If a user wants the Bookmark Menu he or she can do it with one mouse click.

And again. No …. I’m nor redistributing this version of Pale Moon.

Hope that this takes away the fuzz.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-03-01, 16:23

pmunix wrote:A browser window without the Bookmark Menu rolled out is in my opinion a nicer user experience.
I'm just curious and I'm also going to play "Devil's Advocate".

Since you state on your linux system you have multiple users, what if a MAJORITY of your users using the linux system and thus linux Pale Moon, do NOT agree with your opinion and they tell you they need, like or want the Bookmarks "Toolbar" because in their opinion the Bookmarks Toolbar allows them to quickly access the bookmarks they need to do their jobs more easily and efficiently, which gives them a nicer and easier user experience to make themselves more productive?
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2018-03-01, 16:38

pmunix wrote:A browser window without the Bookmark Menu rolled out is in my opinion a nicer user experience. On our Linux system we have multiple users so the best is to have a system wide configuration or setup. That is why “Just do it with a mouse click” is not good enough. I’m looking for a way to do this on one location for all users. If a user wants the Bookmark Menu he or she can do it with one mouse click.
This has to be handled at the individual profile level, no ifs/ands/ors/buts. But this is linux, so bash scripts to the rescue. Here's a more automated method.
  • Set up 1 "template" profile with window settings just the way you like them
  • Exit all instances of Pale Moon
  • Execute killall palemoon from a term just to be sure
  • Copy file xulstore.json from the template profile to a central location
  • Copy from the central location over top of xulstore.json in each profile of each user.
  • If this is being done by a script running as root, remember to chown the resulting file to the proper user:group
  • Another option is to have each user run a central script that overwrites all copies of xulstore.json in their home directory. Running as local user avoids ownership issues.
xulstore.json stores the window preferences/settings/etc. Copying over this file will copy over the associated settings. Warning: there are certain people on this forum who don't approve of this type of "brain surgery" on Pale Moon. The only issue I expect is that xulstore.json stores window sizes, amongst other things. If you set up the template profile on a machine with a large screen (e.g. 1920x1080), the windows may not fit on a machine with a smaller screen (1024x768). This can be manually tweaked on the destination machine. Or you can do different versions for specific screen sizes. Either way, it could be problematic for users with a laptop that often dock to a large screen.
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-03-01, 17:14

Once again Dnes, You need to stop giving bad advice. Period. I am dead sick of it.

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2018-03-02, 01:16

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:Once again Dnes, You need to stop giving bad advice. Period. I am dead sick of it.
It works. Please cite what is specifically wrong with it.
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-03-02, 01:20

Because just because one CAN do a thing it doesn't necessarily mean that one MUST do that thing or that they should. You seem not to understand this..

Basically, you are direct threat to users who don't know any better while positioning yourself as an expert. You need to stop.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-03-02, 01:20, edited 1 time in total.

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2018-03-02, 02:16

The original poster appears to be an admin, not a newbie, rolling out Pale Moon to his users. He wants/needs something different than "straight-out-of-the-box" settings. It can be done manually via the menu, but he appears to have a lot of users, so repeating for each user would be painful. Please tell me what your advice to him would be.
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

Pelican
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Pelican » 2018-03-02, 04:43

Interesting viewpoints shown here... I have a project that will require disabling many features of PM so that it can be used in kiosks and corporate networks. My intention will be to rebuild our current browser which uses Chromium Embedded Framework (CEF), converting it to a stripped down version of PM.

That new browser will include some of our own features and especially designed for DRM, but after reading posts by the DRM haters and the flak seen in this thread, I am not keen to ask for advice.
Last edited by Pelican on 2018-03-02, 04:44, edited 1 time in total.

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-03-02, 11:28

WilliamK wrote:That new browser will include some of our own features and especially designed for DRM, but after reading posts by the DRM haters and the flak seen in this thread, I am not keen to ask for advice.
Pale Moon does not include or support Encrypted Media Extensions. Is that what you mean by DRM?
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

Pelican
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Pelican » 2018-03-03, 06:30

Isengrim wrote:Pale Moon does not include or support Encrypted Media Extensions. Is that what you mean by DRM?
Our browser will included new functions for the decryption of secure page requests, no problem there. By "DRM" I mean that access to protected sites will be limited to confirmation of unique computer ID so that accounts cannot shared or exploited and the content displayed in the browser cannot be copied in any way.

PM can do that when we modify it but I will need to close of avenues of exploit.
Last edited by Pelican on 2018-03-03, 06:31, edited 1 time in total.

pmunix

Unread post by pmunix » 2018-03-03, 14:05

My (our) situation is exactly as Walter Dries says:
The original poster appears to be an admin, not a newbie, rolling out Pale Moon to his users. He wants/needs something different than "straight-out-of-the-box" settings. It can be done manually via the menu, but he appears to have a lot of users, so repeating for each user would be painful. Please tell me what your advice to him would be
No trolling or wrong intentions
I think most sysadmin would think like to start with a setup they think will fit best for their situation. On our situation it is best to give full room to the full browser window. Without the Bookmark menu being unfolded and taking space unwanted. It is not something I think for myself, but based on user experience.
The questions I asked in this forum is how to achieve this. I like to thank the people who contributed to answering this question.

The xulstore.json way is interesting and also possible, but somewhat more complex.
With Firefox we did this the same way by passing on some default files, like mimetypes, etc. This could be possible with the xulstore.json file. But again, I would be more in favor of adding it to a central place in configuration. I think Pale Moon should be open for this kind of adjustments.

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2018-03-03, 15:58

WilliamK wrote:Our browser will included new functions for the decryption of secure page requests, no problem there. By "DRM" I mean that access to protected sites will be limited to confirmation of unique computer ID so that accounts cannot shared or exploited and the content displayed in the browser cannot be copied in any way.

PM can do that when we modify it but I will need to close of avenues of exploit.
Warning; you're getting into an "arms race".
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

Pelican
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Pelican » 2018-03-03, 20:43

Walter Dnes wrote: Warning; you're getting into an "arms race".
Are you suggesting that I do not know what I am doing or that you know everything?

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2018-03-04, 00:30

WilliamK wrote:Are you suggesting that I do not know what I am doing or that you know everything?
Neither. Let's just say that software DRM has a history of being broken and many people are skeptical of its effectiveness.
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

Pelican
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Pelican » 2018-03-04, 01:14

Walter Dnes wrote: Let's just say that software DRM has a history of being broken and many people are skeptical of its effectiveness.
Well if you are one of the many who are overjoyed that some DRM has been broken, I'll just say that it does not include all DRM. If you are looking for a challenge you are barking up the wrong tree because I have heard all that can be said from 20 years ago.

But in answer to possible exploits of our current browser, it is used on Windows only and the copy protection is applied system wide... it is futile adding copy protection to the browser only. Think of it as a secure exam browser where smarty phones are not permitted.

Anyways, the copy protection will not be part of the browser and as that part is not "open-source" I cannot divulge more.