PM update is same version as installed Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
missmoondog

PM update is same version as installed

Unread post by missmoondog » 2018-02-23, 12:02

why did i get an update for PM yesterday on 1 machine (32bit) and today on another machine (64bit) and both versions are the same as what i already had installed and that being version 27.7.2?

i'm using lubuntu 16.04

thank you

edit:
on third machine now and PM got updated to same version that is already installed again!
Attachments
screen.png.jpg
Last edited by missmoondog on 2018-02-23, 13:24, edited 1 time in total.

missmoondog

Re: PM update is same version as installed

Unread post by missmoondog » 2018-02-24, 11:38

can't edit post now but at least i now know this isn't some fluke of an update as it's another day and another machine and still updating to same version already installed.

nobody else is getting this?

thank you

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2018-02-24, 20:01

Check the link below. I have no idea what Steve is saying there, but it sounds to me like it might have something to do with your issue (maybe :think: ).

https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=11466&p=135336#p135336

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2018-02-25, 00:56

Well, I changed the source files to make them compatible with a Debian Buster build, but I didn't change the version, so I thought they wouldn't be seen as a new version and a upgrade that was not necessary. Maybe your updater is somehow looking at the build date and saying those are newer. Otherwise, I have no idea.

hobbledehoy899

Unread post by hobbledehoy899 » 2018-02-25, 01:54

stevepusser wrote:Well, I changed the source files to make them compatible with a Debian Buster build, but I didn't change the version, so I thought they wouldn't be seen as a new version and a upgrade that was not necessary.
That's why you change the package release/revision number!
Last edited by hobbledehoy899 on 2018-02-25, 01:55, edited 1 time in total.

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2018-02-26, 01:54

hobbledehoy899 wrote:
stevepusser wrote:Well, I changed the source files to make them compatible with a Debian Buster build, but I didn't change the version, so I thought they wouldn't be seen as a new version and a upgrade that was not necessary.
That's why you change the package release/revision number!
So send the DPP (Debian Policy Police, or D-Po-Po) after me! I was trying to spare users an unnecessary 30 MB download, since I'm aware that there are still people out there that have very limited bandwidth caps.

hobbledehoy899

Unread post by hobbledehoy899 » 2018-02-26, 02:45

stevepusser wrote:I was trying to spare users an unnecessary 30 MB download, since I'm aware that there are still people out there that have very limited bandwidth caps.
That's an admirable cause, but that's just not good repository management (especially when a package revision involves something as big as changing source files).

missmoondog

Unread post by missmoondog » 2018-02-26, 12:09

fwiw, the update does not show up on my windows machine and this is not a really big issue as it at least didn't mess anything up on the linux machines. :)

was simply wondering why it was doing this in linux.

thanks for the replies

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2018-02-26, 22:49

Basically it was a tiny change that just added "buster" to the list of releases that required gcc-4.9, so didn't affect any other distros. Yes, I know how to do revisions, but in this case, either way seems to be pushing an update to this particular user. What update manager are you using, and does apt on the command line also show the updates? If so, it doesn't do me any good to try and avoid pushing updates, so I'll increment the changelog per Debian policy.

The alternative would be for me to create a whole new "palemoon-buster" package for just Debian testing, but that means I have to upload 122 MB of sources and fragment everything until the next release..plus the instructions won't be automatically generated. The package name has to match the actual package in the repo. So far I have a nice source setup where it adapts to the release it's being built on, so I only have to upload one set of sources for all Debians and Ubuntus that it can build on.

missmoondog

Unread post by missmoondog » 2018-02-27, 03:51

hey steven,
just keep doing things like you've been. palemoon is awesome and this weird update didn't do a thing to mess anything up. doesn't seem as anyone else noticed this, at least around here, so just keep it up.

thanks