Audio of some videos play slow Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
mocambo
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Audio of some videos play slow

Unread post by mocambo » 2018-02-14, 00:32

Video just works fine but audio is a bit slow and sounds like alien talk.

Flash player is disabled. Youtube and Dailymotion works well.

Here's the example video:
https://kanal2.postimees.ee/pluss/video/?id=73740

Any clue ?

Thank you !

RJARRRPCGP
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: Audio of some videos play slow

Unread post by RJARRRPCGP » 2018-02-14, 01:46

Is it what I call "the Home Alone 2 effect"?

SpockFan02
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by SpockFan02 » 2018-02-14, 04:41

Off-topic:
RJARRRPCGP wrote:Is it what I call "the Home Alone 2 effect"?
Heh, was that the one set in New York, when he slowed down a recording of his voice to pretend to be an adult?

RJARRRPCGP
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by RJARRRPCGP » 2018-02-14, 11:54

That's the one, LOL.

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2018-02-14, 12:05

had this issue the other day on twitter videos, i fixed it by going into pref.js and deleting this line

user_pref("general.useragent.override", "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/54.0.2840.99 Safari/537.36

no clue why an UA override would be responsible for that, but at least it works

mocambo
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by mocambo » 2018-04-16, 22:31

The problem still exists. Some videos still play audio with alien voices.
fillerup wrote:had this issue the other day on twitter videos, i fixed it by going into pref.js and deleting this line

user_pref("general.useragent.override", "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/54.0.2840.99 Safari/537.36

no clue why an UA override would be responsible for that, but at least it works
Currently using Palemoon 27.8.3. and prefs.js doesnt contain such row.

One more video for referring:
http://publik.delfi.ee/news/mitmesugust ... d=81782853

Any more clue ?

Pelican
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Pelican » 2018-04-16, 22:59

I have seen videos for a live stream out of sync by as much as 50 secs. It was the finals of a local snooker tournie and I could tell it was 45-50 secs because the referee's score calls were 2 shots out all the way through. I cannot remember if forward or back but it is a common occurrence and may be related to delay caused by the scoreboard overlay.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-04-17, 08:57

Do not ever manually edit preferences files.

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2018-04-18, 02:54

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:Do not ever manually edit preferences files.
i'd like to think i know what i'm doing. or maybe you can explain why it's not a good idea instead of your condescending one liner that sounds like an adult talking down to a child?
mocambo wrote:The problem still exists. Some videos still play audio with alien voices. Any more clue ?
did you search for that specific line or just general.useragent.override? as your profile might have a different override. if you're sure there is no active useragent override, then i can't provide additional help.

worst case scenario you can clone your current profile and tinker with pref.js like i did by deleting off stuff until it works. before doing this, confirm that videos play fine on a fresh profile first
Last edited by fillerup on 2018-04-18, 03:04, edited 1 time in total.

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2018-04-18, 06:28

Actually, in this case, there is an officially documented way of doing it, namely the "user.js" file http://kb.mozillazine.org/User.js_file Entries in this file override entries in "prefs.js". I keep a central copy, symlinked into multiple profile directories. I use it for basic stuff like turning turning ads autoplay off and updating useragents for sites that insist on "a current browser". I have multiple profiles, and it's really nice to be able to make a change in one central location, rather than having to do it umpteen times, once for each profile.
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2018-04-18, 10:03

Walter Dnes wrote:Actually, in this case, there is an officially documented way of doing it, namely the "user.js" file http://kb.mozillazine.org/User.js_file Entries in this file override entries in "prefs.js". I keep a central copy, symlinked into multiple profile directories. I use it for basic stuff like turning turning ads autoplay off and updating useragents for sites that insist on "a current browser". I have multiple profiles, and it's really nice to be able to make a change in one central location, rather than having to do it umpteen times, once for each profile.
never knew this, seems very handy for certain use cases!

mocambo
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by mocambo » 2018-04-18, 23:34

fillerup wrote:
mocambo wrote:The problem still exists. Some videos still play audio with alien voices. Any more clue ?
did you search for that specific line or just general.useragent.override? as your profile might have a different override. if you're sure there is no active useragent override, then i can't provide additional help.

worst case scenario you can clone your current profile and tinker with pref.js like i did by deleting off stuff until it works. before doing this, confirm that videos play fine on a fresh profile first
Your method can be considered as a solution.

At a first glance there was no such general.useragent.override you described. But as prefs.js actively changes every time browser restarted, in one moment similar row appeared there and i deleted it. Now all videos are with normal voices. Thanks !
Last edited by mocambo on 2018-04-18, 23:36, edited 1 time in total.