27.7.1: Cannot set a handler application

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Unix Ronin

27.7.1: Cannot set a handler application

Unread post by Unix Ronin » 2018-01-29, 16:28

I'm trying to set a handler application, and it is not working.

I want the default action for SQL files to be to open them with /usr/bin/nedit. Indeed, if I go to Preferences -> Applications -> SQL Code, Pale Moon has my preference set that the default action is to open it with neditc (Nirvana Editor client). But if I open a page and click on a .sql file, Pale Moon recognizes it as SQL code, but the only action I am offered is to save it. There isn't even any option to open it with ANYTHING. Save, or cancel. No other choices.

The only thing I've found that changes this is if I install Foxit Reader for Linux. With Foxit Reader installed, the application preference still shows the default action as 'open with /usr/bin/neditc', but when I click on the file, PaleMoon now says that the file is 'unknown' (wait, you recognized it as SQL without Foxit installed...), but the action I am offered is instead to open it with Foxit Reader. (Wait, what? It's not a PDF!) In this case, I can at least select 'Other' and open it with nedit that way, so I can actually open it directly instead of saving it, though it would almost be less trouble to just save it and open it in NEdit separately.

Why is Pale Moon not honoring the preference I have set here?
Last edited by Unix Ronin on 2018-01-29, 16:45, edited 1 time in total.