Palemoon Installer tool And Firejail

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
medway01

Palemoon Installer tool And Firejail

Unread post by medway01 » 2018-01-20, 07:48

Hi,

I had some trouble using the palemoon installer tool to check for updates for palemoon 27.7.1, running the updater kept throwing an error about 'not finding a connection and to check the network'.

I wasn’t sure if it was because of a problem with the pale moon server or my PC or my network, I have a couple of Linux machines so tried to update on those, two updated fine and two failed with the same error.

After some trial and error testing the problem was traced to firejail ( linux sandbox ) all the machines run firejail but the two that had the problem had firejail running under the firecfg global option, this places firejail's restrictions on a global basis.

Running firecfg --clean to remove those restrictions and rebooting allowed me to update palemoon. However I didn’t stop there, I installed palemoon on a test PC, ran firejail using the firecfg option and for fun, un-nstalled palemoon and manually cleaned any trace I could find of palemoon then tried to use the installer tool to install palemoon, fail !

The installer tool insisted that palemoon was already installed, so I used firecfg --clean to remove the global restrictions and logged off and on, now I could install pale moon.

This post is a bit long winded but I wanted to mention the problem and the steps I took to confirm and replicate it, in case other users meet the same problem. It doesn’t matter what directory the palemoon update tool is ran from, the same problems exist if using firejails firecfg option.

--