SSE-only SWF player

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Peregrine

SSE-only SWF player

Unread post by Peregrine » 2018-01-18, 14:02

Appearantly, the adobe flash player doesn't work in machines with an sse-only cpu (pentium 3 class, ...).
Alternatives to flash player are gnash, lightspark and shumway.
I was wondering which of these is the best for sse-only cpu's (and up), for use in gentoo ?

The latest versions in gentoo are gnash 0.8.1 and lightspark 0.8 (see https://packages.gentoo.org/categories/www-plugins )
For shumway, there's an .xpi extension for firefox over at mozilla.github.io/shumway/ ; I doubt it will work in pale moon as is. Is there a shumway extension for pale moon linux (I see none listed at https://addons.palemoon.org/extensions/ ) ?
Last edited by Peregrine on 2018-01-18, 14:02, edited 1 time in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: SSE-only SWF player

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-01-18, 15:59

Don't bother with Shumway; it's been one of Mozilla's "experiments to see if it takes off and if not, abandon". It's not able to render anything useful of note, at all, and has been stale since 2015. If you still want to try, the Shumway page has a link to an xpi that is directly compatible with Pale Moon.
Last edited by Moonchild on 2018-01-18, 16:04, edited 1 time in total.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Peregrine

Unread post by Peregrine » 2018-01-19, 13:41

Moonchild wrote:Don't bother with Shumway
Ok, so would lightspark 0.8 do ? I never tried it.

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2018-01-19, 16:26

Peregrine wrote:Ok, so would lightspark 0.8 do ? I never tried it.
You'll have to uninstall flash, and try lightspark on your machine to find out how well the current version works. I played around with Lightspark and Gnash a few years ago. One of them (Gnash?) did not package audio codecs, apparently for legal reasons. So the audio codecs had to be installed separately. With the expiry of the MP3 patents, that may no longer be the case.
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way