Install new version of Pale Moon through system update

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
14themoon

Install new version of Pale Moon through system update

Unread post by 14themoon » 2018-01-17, 02:39

I want to know if there is a way I can automatically update any new revisions in Pale Moon without using the system updater? In other words, is there a way that a new version of Pale Moon can be included in a normal system upgrade on my operating system? It would seem to me there should be a way to do this. It's not bad using the Pale Moon installer but it would just be more convenient to have the newer version included in an overall system update. Is there a way to do this? Thank you in advance.

Thehandyman1957

Re: Install new version of Pale Moon through system update

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2018-01-17, 03:19

If your talking about having it included in something like a "windows update" then the answer would be no.

PM is not connected in any way to Microsoft like say perhaps I.E. or Edge.

Hope this helps.

Oops, I really wish the Linux part was bigger and highlighted. Keep missing that. :oops:
Last edited by Thehandyman1957 on 2018-01-17, 03:42, edited 1 time in total.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2018-01-17, 03:33

@ Thehandyman1957 | The OP is using Linux, not Windows.

@ 14themoon | There is a PPA for Ubuntu (it's a contributor build, so I'm not sure if it carries "official" status or not, and I don't use it). Now I've never used PPA's, but don't apps through PPAs get updated through the OSs updater? Which version of Linux are you using?
Last edited by ron_1 on 2018-01-17, 03:37, edited 2 times in total.

14themoon

Unread post by 14themoon » 2018-01-17, 05:49

I use Debian as my operating system. Periodically, I run system updates (e.g., sudo apt-get update, etc.) and it installs or updates any new additions to the program. I'm just wondering if there is a way that revisions of Pale Moon could be included in a system update so that I don't have to check and install Pale Moon revisions separately. Thank you.

hobbledehoy899

Unread post by hobbledehoy899 » 2018-01-17, 06:08

If you use Arch then there's a PKGBUILD in the Arch User Repository that packages the same binaries of the latest releases of Pale Moon that would be installed with the Pale Moon installer.

14themoon

Unread post by 14themoon » 2018-01-17, 06:12

Arch is very flexible in that way...you have more control of packages. I use Debian "Stretch" which is an excellent program but more "user friendly" than Arch. I'm not enough of a tech to use Arch. But thanks.

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2018-01-17, 14:38

@14themoon you can use Steve Pusser's repo.

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2018-01-18, 05:31

I was just poking around the openSUSE Build Service, and there are some other repos for PM on it for other distros.

https://build.opensuse.org/search?utf8= ... b_type_id=

Though I don't think they have approval from the developers to use the name with some of the modifications some are doing...

I've got to clean up some of my experiments on there, too.
Last edited by stevenpusser on 2018-01-18, 05:32, edited 1 time in total.

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2018-01-18, 23:17

stevepusser wrote:Though I don't think they have approval from the developers to use the name with some of the modifications some are doing...
Correct. The only endorsed builds on the OBS are Steve's. I'll see about contacting some of these people. Hopefully they will be nicer than some of the AUR maintainers.

14themoon

Unread post by 14themoon » 2018-01-19, 03:35

Okay, so I am running Debian 9...is there a package available that would allow me to do PM updates
directly through my system upgrader? I don't know much about packages or how to install them
manually.

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2018-01-19, 05:22

14themoon wrote:Okay, so I am running Debian 9...is there a package available that would allow me to do PM updates directly through my system upgrader? I don't know much about packages or how to install them
manually.
stevenpusser has contributed repo builds for various Debian/Ubuntu versions. See https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=11466&start=180#p132750 I'm not familiar with Debian/Ubuntu. Ask Steven if you have any questions about connecting to his repo.
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

smoki

Unread post by smoki » 2018-01-19, 05:46

14themoon wrote:Okay, so I am running Debian 9...is there a package available that would allow me to do PM updates
directly through my system upgrader? I don't know much about packages or how to install them
manually.
trava90 mentioned Steve Pusser's repo:

https://software.opensuse.org/download. ... e=palemoon

Click on Debian logo-icon there and instruction will appear. As you are using Debian 9 follow the one for Debian 9.

missmoondog

Unread post by missmoondog » 2018-01-19, 15:49

only way i've ever used palemoon on linux, including in debian, is to use steven pusser's repo!

so simple even i could follow it :)
Last edited by missmoondog on 2018-01-19, 15:50, edited 1 time in total.

14themoon

Unread post by 14themoon » 2018-01-19, 21:54

Where it says to run the following as root, does that mean to insert "sudo" before these commands?

smoki

Unread post by smoki » 2018-01-19, 23:29

14themoon wrote:Where it says to run the following as root, does that mean to insert "sudo" before these commands?
No, to run something as root. you need first to became root and su command is for that. Type su, then type password and you are root. And don't forget to exit once you are done doing things as root.

If you are instead using sudo (which is not default in Debian, unlike Ubuntu for example) then type sudo su to sort of emulate how things are done when you don't use sudo. Again don't forget to exit.

But if you are using sudo and prefer to use sudo and to type sudo every time... then look how Ubuntu lines looks like, albeit that you need to use Debian repo line..
Last edited by smoki on 2018-01-19, 23:39, edited 4 times in total.

calibrations

Unread post by calibrations » 2018-01-19, 23:40

EDIT: Realised I made a mistake. I also got ninja'd by smoki who gives good advice, the relevant replacement line would be for the first line

Code: Select all

sudo sh -c "echo 'deb http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/stevenpusser/Debian_9.0/ /' > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/palemoon.list"
and to download the key in the second section the replacement would be

Code: Select all

wget -nv https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:stevenpusser/Debian_9.0/Release.key -O Release.key
in particular don't run that above line as root/sudo as you'll end up with a root owned Release.key wherever you run it, either way you will probably want to delete it afterwards.
Last edited by calibrations on 2018-01-20, 00:04, edited 3 times in total.