About User Agent extensions Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
rbguy

About User Agent extensions

Unread post by rbguy » 2018-01-11, 12:55

Newbie here again. I was checking out Pale Moon with my VPN (VPN Gate/Open VPN) and have an issue that I haven't been able to resolve.
The user agent switching extension that I use on Firefox to mask my browser info, OS, etc., when using the VPN...... and other similar extensions.... are not available.
I get a message that says "This add-on requires a newer version of Firefox (at least version 52)........" when I try to add the extensions to PM.

I use https://ipleak.net/ to check for leaks sent out while using the VPN.
There are no other leaks, only the user agent information about browser and OS.

How can I prevent this while using PM with VPN?

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: About User Agent extensions

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-01-11, 13:02

Which extension? Have you checked for older versions? There might be an older version available that is compatible with Pale Moon that might still work for you.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

rbguy

Unread post by rbguy » 2018-01-11, 13:38

User-Agent Switcher. I didn't find any older versions.

https://mybrowseraddon.com/useragent-switcher.html

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-01-11, 17:27

Looks like there's a few versions of that add-on on AMO, and they're all either SDK or WebExtension style add-ons, which won't be compatible with Pale Moon.

I personally use User Agent Switcher, which is older and doesn't have as large a list of predefined user agents, but you can easily add them yourself.
a.k.a. Ascrod
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

rbguy

Unread post by rbguy » 2018-01-11, 17:47

Isengrim, Thanks for the suggestion. I installed it and it looks good. :thumbup:

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-01-11, 18:56

Glad I could help! :D
a.k.a. Ascrod

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2018-01-14, 02:29

Isengrim wrote:I personally use User Agent Switcher, which is older and doesn't have as large a list of predefined user agents, but you can easily add them yourself.
can you suggest a few to use? i'm not sure what the optimal ones to apply would be

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-01-14, 11:48

fillerup wrote:can you suggest a few to use? i'm not sure what the optimal ones to apply would be
Depends on what you want to spoof. This site lists some of the more popular ones (the list is dynamically updated):

https://techblog.willshouse.com/2012/01 ... er-agents/
a.k.a. Ascrod

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-01-14, 15:14

Pale Moon has a facility to use targeted site specific user agent overrides for situations where changing the UA is unavoidable.. Use it don't use primitive global user agent switchers..

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2018-01-14, 17:20

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:Pale Moon has a facility to use targeted site specific user agent overrides for situations where changing the UA is unavoidable.. Use it don't use primitive global user agent switchers..
I use that facility, in conjunction with "user.js" http://kb.mozillazine.org/User.js_file I have one master file in directory "~/.moonchild productions/pale moon", with symlinks as "user.js" in each of my profiles. Make a change once, and it propagates to all profiles. Is there an equivalant to symlinks in Windows? Advantages over extensions
  • with extensions you have to download+install the same extension into each separate profile
  • with extensions you have to set the UA in each separate profile
  • "user.js" can set/create ANY valid "about:config" entry, not just UA strings
The only downside is that, because of how user.js interacts with the browser, changes don't take effect until you shut down and restart that profile.
Last edited by Walter Dnes on 2018-01-14, 17:27, edited 1 time in total.
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-01-14, 17:22

One should not be manually creating or editing things in the user profile. A warning.

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2018-01-14, 17:37

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:One should not be manually creating or editing things in the user profile. A warning.
Is this something specific to Pale Moon due to how far Firefox has drifted away? The Mozillazine article doesn't have such a warning. I'm not being deliberately argumentative here. I'm interested in knowing what, if any, problems I might run into.
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way