Website not opening up completely Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
rbguy

Website not opening up completely

Unread post by rbguy » 2018-01-08, 20:02

I just installed Pale Moon (27.6.2 32-bit) a few hours ago from my Linux Mint Software Manager. I'm running Linux Mint 18.2 Cinn.

I've started using PM and everything is working fine so far except for this. When I click on this link (In my favorites), it does not open up completely..... it's not maximized.
The webpage is compressed so that it only appears on the left side of the monitor screen..... taking up about 2 inches on left side of the screen which is about 18" wide.
I tried FF and Chromium and it works fine there.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/#general-forums

Thanks for your help on this.

hobbledehoy899

Re: Website not opening up completely

Unread post by hobbledehoy899 » 2018-01-08, 20:27

Press on the "Desktop version" button that's at the bottom left of the page.

rbguy

Unread post by rbguy » 2018-01-08, 20:57

Thanks, that fixed it.

rbguy

Unread post by rbguy » 2018-01-09, 13:47

For the record: My opening sentence was wrong. It was not available in the Software Manager. I installed it per directions in this link. No problems.

http://tipsonubuntu.com/2016/07/16/install-pale-moon-ubuntu-16-04/

SpockFan02
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by SpockFan02 » 2018-01-09, 23:36

A user agent override telling city-data.com that Pale Moon is actually Firefox 52.9 will prevent the mobile version of the forum being served in the first place.

rbguy

Unread post by rbguy » 2018-01-10, 03:11

Thanks! First time creating a user agent override for me. I found these instructions helpful.

https://www.howtogeek.com/113439/how-to-change-your-browsers-user-agent-without-installing-any-extensions/

It worked. :thumbup:

SpockFan02
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by SpockFan02 » 2018-01-10, 03:51

The steps in the Firefox section in that article change your user agent for all sites, whereas you can specify to do it for only city-data.com by naming the preference general.useragent.override.city-data.com. That way, most sites will think you're using Pale Moon (which you are), and only a few others which don't work, serve their mobile site, etc. when they don't recognize a user agent from a popular browser will think you're using something which you're not.

This is all rather unfortunate, since sites that do this are discriminating against users of less-popular browsers. Many of these site-specific overrides are set by default in Pale Moon when it is known to fix problems on these sites. Perhaps someone should contact Advameg, Inc. (owners and operators of City-Data) at errors@city-data.com (for "Errors, corrections, additions") or others@city-data.com ("Other issues") to tell them that the mobile version of their forum is served to browsers with Pale Moon user agents, and ask them to change this.
Last edited by SpockFan02 on 2018-01-10, 03:51, edited 1 time in total.

rbguy

Unread post by rbguy » 2018-01-10, 15:53

general.useragent.override.city-data.com
That's the entry that I used. I'll try and contact them and pass the info along. Thanks again for your help.

SpockFan02
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by SpockFan02 » 2018-01-11, 01:52

Alright, cool. :)