Missing Thumbnails

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Russfran

Missing Thumbnails

Unread post by Russfran » 2017-12-29, 08:18

I am running Tahrpup 6.0 CE updated on a Compaq dc 7100, no complaints there. I was running an earlier version of PM 27 and only having a little trouble with Flash format. A couple of days ago I updated to 27.6.2 hoping to cure a niggardly loss of thumbnails on pages such as BBC news and others; the result was that now I do not get any thumbnails at all from the BBC and other sites as well as schematics from technical pages; not to mention the loss of all my bookmarks,but that is trivial really.
Any advice will be appreciated.
Russ

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Re: Missing Thumbnails

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-12-30, 05:05

Can you post specific URLs and maybe a screenshot or two?
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

Russfran

Unread post by Russfran » 2017-12-30, 09:06

Attachments
capture5226.png
Capture 01.png

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2017-12-30, 13:05

On the BBC news site, I get every thumbnail. No problems anywhere.

On the Easy Electronics site, I also do not get any thumbnails. I do get a broken prompt though and this is what it says:

Code: Select all

You don't have permission to access /dproj/simplest_LED_flasher/10maperdiv.jpg on this server.
Might be a coding error on the EE site.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Russfran

Unread post by Russfran » 2017-12-31, 05:37

Thank you Night Wing for testing,
I suppose then that this points to a configuration problem on my end.
Again any pointers would be appreciated
Thanks
Russ

SpockFan02
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by SpockFan02 » 2017-12-31, 07:25

I am able to see the first image and the video on Easy Electronics, but not the second image, and clickong on it takes me to a page that says I don't have permission to access it. Based on this thread, I figured that overriding my user agent for Easy Electronics would solve the problem, but after trying a few, I wasn't able to get it working—Maybe that's not the issue, maybe I didn't type the preference name right.

Thumbnails load just fine on BBC News for me.

I would check to make sure some ad blocker isn't doing it, but other than that, I'm afraid I'm not sure what the problem could be. I'm also sorry about your loss of bookmarks.

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2017-12-31, 19:39

I get both just fine with Ublock Origin (boat load of filters) Disconnect and ABL.
Screenshot - 12_31_2017 , 12_36_08 PM.png
Latest PM with W7 64bit.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2017-12-31, 23:11

Russfran wrote:the result was that now I do not get any thumbnails at all from the BBC and other sites as well as schematics from technical pages

Hello, Windows user here (PM 27.6.2, Win 7 x86).

I get all the images from BBC news and all images but one from Easy Electronics. (The image that gave Night Wing an error message didn't load for me either/same message - but did load from the image's own site.)

in console:

Code: Select all

GET 
XHR 
http://www.cappels.org/dproj/simplest_LED_flasher/10maperdiv.jpg [HTTP/1.1 403 Forbidden 109ms]
Cross-Origin Request Blocked: The Same Origin Policy disallows reading the remote resource at 
http://www.cappels.org/dproj/simplest_LED_flasher/10maperdiv.jpg. (Reason: CORS header 'Access-Control-Allow-Origin' missing). <unknown>

For the more general problem...
You might double-check that your browser settings allow images from everywhere to load:

Edit > Preferences > Content > "Load images:" > set images to load "Automatically"
(In about:config this is: permissions.default.image value = 1 (the default))
For more info see 1, 2, 3.
Last edited by coffeebreak on 2017-12-31, 23:22, edited 2 times in total.

Russfran

Unread post by Russfran » 2018-01-01, 02:02

Thanks to Spockman02 and to Thehandyman1957 for testing, I loaded "Iron" just to test my hardware, no problems there - then got rid of it.
Thanks also to coffeebreak, I will do the read and check the configs.
Cheers
Russ

Russfran

Unread post by Russfran » 2018-01-01, 02:22

Good news
coffeebreak was right, the default image value was not set correctly.
Thanks to all who helped
Russ