Remove "Private Browsing" From Window Title Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
L-Space_Traveler

Remove "Private Browsing" From Window Title

Unread post by L-Space_Traveler » 2017-12-28, 08:48

Is there any way to change the window title in a private browsing session to remove the "(Private Browsing)" designation, but with no other changes to the title? I have generally Googled and searched both the Pale Moon and Firefox boards and cannot find any way to accomplish this - the closest I have found is this thread: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=17467, which indicates that the "always use private browsing" mode will remove this from the title, however, I do not wish to do this. (I also found references to some old, non-compatible FF extensions that purport to do this.) If anyone knows of any way to accomplish this in Pale Moon, it would be much appreciated!

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: Remove "Private Browsing" From Window Title

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2017-12-28, 11:00

No and there never will be a way in the browser.. Theoretically you could write an extension to do it but you are on your own.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-12-28, 11:48

An extension to manipulate the browser title would be the only way. In the browser core this is a design decision that will not be changed or made configurable, because the indicator is there for a very good reason.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2017-12-28, 11:53

I would like to add that on linux i believe there is a way to do this natively with desktop settings.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

digitalaudiorock
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by digitalaudiorock » 2017-12-30, 20:58

Wow...I beg to differ. I just noticed that current versions of FF (at least under Windows) do this by default in all but your initial tab, and it's horrible. You have to jump through hoops just to determine if you're actually even in a private window!:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1158685

Insane. Thanks in advance for not emulating this lunacy.

Tom

L-Space_Traveler

Unread post by L-Space_Traveler » 2018-01-12, 20:51

Thank you all for your responses. I will try next to find a way with my DE. I am curious what the "very good reason" is why this is not configurable - I understand the complaint from digitalaudiorock, but if the display were optional, then users could choose which they prefer - I certainly agree that not everyone would want this, but there are reasons why some people might not always want it displayed. (I also don't know if the tag in the window title is directly connected to the purple mask on the menu bar - I would only wish to remove the designation in the title.)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-01-12, 22:00

By definition, a Private window always exists next to 1 or more other windows - the very good reason for it to be there is that you should be able to immediately distinguish between the different states (which is also the reason why in permanent private browsing, no such indicator is present).

And yes that includes being able to distinguish between states in a task bar/task manager without relying on visual indicators in the UI that may not be present in alternative themes.
Last edited by Moonchild on 2018-01-12, 22:01, edited 1 time in total.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

biopsin
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by biopsin » 2018-01-13, 05:40

voidlinux_x64 glibc-2.38 / Palemoon_latest release (gcc-13.2.0) / GTK2

Falna
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Falna » 2018-01-13, 14:39

Yes and No. Customize Titlebar V2 0.8 by Hrvoje Šolc will do exactly what you want and you can - as the title suggests - customize what it says. However it's been removed from the FF catalog - it was at https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... tlebar_v2/

I've uploaded a copy to https://ufile.io/es0wy - available for the next 30 days only.

The hash should be
MD5: 5F5998747F4F2B89A4E0E2D732E1BB38
SHA-526: 84BF7466A285EA9B107C776A9F959492C9670DAEA93A7C87AECEFA3E61AEEFC4
Last edited by Falna on 2018-01-13, 14:42, edited 1 time in total.

Forked extensions :
● Add-ons Inspector ● Auto Text Link ● Copy As Plain Text ● Copy Hyperlink Text ● FireFTP button replacement ● gSearch Bar ● Navigation Bar Enhancer ● New Tab Links ● Number Tabs ● Print Preview Button and Keyboard Shortcut 2 ● Scrollbar Search Marker ● Simple Marker ● Tabs To Portfolio ● Update Alert ● Web Developer's Toolbox ● Zap Anything

Hint: If you expect a reply to your PM, allow replies...

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-01-13, 14:46

If it is open source.. Someone should fork it.. Change the name, icon, id.. See if there are any issues and then throw it up on the add-ons site..

Falna
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Falna » 2018-01-13, 14:52

It is opensource - Mozilla Public License Version 1.1 - so can be forked.

Forked extensions :
● Add-ons Inspector ● Auto Text Link ● Copy As Plain Text ● Copy Hyperlink Text ● FireFTP button replacement ● gSearch Bar ● Navigation Bar Enhancer ● New Tab Links ● Number Tabs ● Print Preview Button and Keyboard Shortcut 2 ● Scrollbar Search Marker ● Simple Marker ● Tabs To Portfolio ● Update Alert ● Web Developer's Toolbox ● Zap Anything

L-Space_Traveler

Unread post by L-Space_Traveler » 2018-01-15, 08:16

Thank you all - I will give that a shot. And while I certainly understand "being able to immediately distinguish between the different states", the problem with this is that anyone else who looks at my computer can do this too easily as well - it might as well say "Hey, look! I'm hiding something in this window!"

I appreciate the help!

L-Space_Traveler

Unread post by L-Space_Traveler » 2018-01-15, 08:59

Thanks again - that "customize titlebar" did exactly what I needed! I really had spent a lot of time searching before I asked here - every hit I found was either a dead link or said that it "wasn't compatible" with my browser. I do appreciate your help with this!

Falna
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Falna » 2018-01-17, 20:44

L-Space_Traveler wrote:Thanks again - that "customize titlebar" did exactly what I needed!
Cool!

Forked extensions :