Can't get event details in Google Calendar?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
digitalaudiorock
Moonbather
Moonbather

Can't get event details in Google Calendar?

Unread post by digitalaudiorock » 2017-12-19, 20:55

Just recently I started having an issue with Google calendar that I never had before: If I try to click on any event in the calendar to see the details, it either does nothing or brings up a message at the bottom of the screen that says "You can't edit this event.". I actually don't have the ability to edit the event in this case and never have, but I can usually at least see the details that way, and no longer can. This doesn't happen in FF (newer Windows versions or even Linux version 52.2) or in Chrome. It does however also happen in Windows IE, which points to some change at Google's end.

I also just recently upgraded to 27.6.2 compiled under Gentoo. However again, seeing the same change in IE is very suspect.

Anyone else seeing that?

Tom

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Can't get event details in Google Calendar?

Unread post by Moonraker » 2017-12-19, 22:29

aha its a google service so naturally it will work with the google browser.Google is the internet doorman and if you as a browser dont wear the right clothes then he wont let you in.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2017-12-20, 02:26

If all else fails, fake the useragent. I assume that the calendar URL is "something.google.com". In about:config, create a new key of type "string" (if it doesn't already exist)

general.useragent.override.google.com and set the value to

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0)

I update the version numbers whenever Google Drive complains, or Google Maps drops me into "Lite Mode", complaining that "my browser is too old". :thumbdown: One heads-up; Google sniffs your useragent and associates it with your login. Whenever you update your browser, or change your fake useragent, Google thinks you're "logging in from a new device", and gives the standard challenge (recovery email, or whatever). You also get an email telling you that your account has been accessed from a new device. Don't freak out.
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

digitalaudiorock
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by digitalaudiorock » 2017-12-20, 22:13

Luckily I didn't have to resort to that. Oddly enough, late today that detail display (by clicking the event) started to work in IE which was broken as well. A little later it started to work for me in palemoon. They may have actually fixed something...no clue. Thanks just the same!

Tom

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-12-24, 01:19

Walter Dnes wrote:I
general.useragent.override.google.com and set the value to

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0)

You use this string in Linux? This part is not quite right: (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:57.0)

Do you know the correct one for Linux?
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2017-12-24, 01:34

gracious1 wrote:You use this string in Linux? This part is not quite right: (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:57.0)

Do you know the correct one for Linux?
According to https://developers.whatismybrowser.com/useragents/parse/255282-firefox-linux-gecko it's...
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0

I'd really rather prefer not to fiddle around like this, but dumb websites force it.
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way