revert to old version

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
moonwalker

revert to old version

Unread post by moonwalker » 2017-12-14, 12:33

I cannot revert back to old version of palemoon because the installer cannot install the older versions like before.The command line or script based option is too hard for me.I have tried but it doesnot work since i am using lubuntu 16.04.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: revert to old version

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-12-14, 13:51

Why don't you try to solve whatever your problem is with the latest version?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

hobbledehoy899

Unread post by hobbledehoy899 » 2017-12-14, 21:51

Would you mind explaining why it is you want to revert to an older version?

JSB2000

Unread post by JSB2000 » 2017-12-15, 01:16

moonwalker wrote:I cannot revert back to old version of palemoon because the installer cannot install the older versions like before.The command line or script based option is too hard for me.I have tried but it doesnot work since i am using lubuntu 16.04.
For me (running Linux Mint), it was as easy as downloading the old version, extracting the contents to a temporary directory, and then copying the contents to the appropriate locations, overwriting anything in there.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2017-12-15, 01:35

JSB2000 wrote:
moonwalker wrote:I cannot revert back to old version of palemoon because the installer cannot install the older versions like before.The command line or script based option is too hard for me.I have tried but it doesnot work since i am using lubuntu 16.04.
For me (running Linux Mint), it was as easy as downloading the old version, extracting the contents to a temporary directory, and then copying the contents to the appropriate locations, overwriting anything in there.
You should never just OVERWRITE.. If you are on Linux, using a tarball, and reverting or even upgrading it is MUCH safer to delete the application directory's contents THEN extract or copy the replacement files in.

moonwalker

Unread post by moonwalker » 2017-12-15, 10:08

hobbledehoy899 wrote:Would you mind explaining why it is you want to revert to an older version?
The problem is in new Palemoon 27 and up my cpu temp is always high.It gets abnormally high during video playback sometimes upto 93 or 4 :crazy: .I dont know the reason .But before 27,this was not the problem.So the only way will be to revert back to previous version.

TheOuterLinux

Unread post by TheOuterLinux » 2017-12-15, 14:30

moonwalker wrote:
hobbledehoy899 wrote:Would you mind explaining why it is you want to revert to an older version?
The problem is in new Palemoon 27 and up my cpu temp is always high.It gets abnormally high during video playback sometimes upto 93 or 4 :crazy: .I dont know the reason .But before 27,this was not the problem.So the only way will be to revert back to previous version.
Have you tried playing the URL with mpv and see if it still uses that much CPU? It might not be the browser. Also, I turned my MSE stuff off. If it's YouTube, you can go to https://tonvid.com instead since it's just a really light front-end. These days, I just add mpv to my external browser setting on w3m and set it to a mobile UA so the site loads mp4 format and then press Shift+M and opens the embedded video with mpv. Actually, there used to be an open-with mpv addon somewhere.

hobbledehoy899

Unread post by hobbledehoy899 » 2017-12-15, 22:15

moonwalker wrote:The problem is in new Palemoon 27 and up my cpu temp is always high.It gets abnormally high during video playback sometimes upto 93 or 4 :crazy:
What model of CPU is in your computer?

moonwalker

Unread post by moonwalker » 2017-12-16, 10:01

TheOuterLinux wrote:
moonwalker wrote:
Have you tried playing the URL with mpv and see if it still uses that much CPU? It might not be the browser. Also, I turned my MSE stuff off. If it's YouTube, you can go to https://tonvid.com instead since it's just a really light front-end. These days, I just add mpv to my external browser setting on w3m and set it to a mobile UA so the site loads mp4 format and then press Shift+M and opens the embedded video with mpv. Actually, there used to be an open-with mpv addon somewhere.
Sadly its not only youtube but on other sites too, its all about video playing.Pm 27 starts with 45 cpu, then quickly jumps to 60.When playing any video it goes from 60 to 65,70,75 sometimes close to 90,93.And it never comes down below 60.I think this version 27 is not for me. :cry:

moonwalker

Unread post by moonwalker » 2017-12-16, 10:02

hobbledehoy899 wrote:
moonwalker wrote:The problem is in new Palemoon 27 and up my cpu temp is always high.It gets abnormally high during video playback sometimes upto 93 or 4 :crazy:
What model of CPU is in your computer?
I have an ancient intel i3 540 32 bit

moonwalker

Unread post by moonwalker » 2017-12-16, 10:05

And one more thing,I use Slimjet browser too,version 13 which is based on chrome 55.Cpu temp never gets that high its normal under 40.50 to lower then 60 when playing videos.

Al6bus
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Al6bus » 2017-12-16, 12:07

moonwalker wrote:using lubuntu 16.04.
probably, the only way out is to switch to Windows, f.e on win 7.
moonwalker wrote:intel i3 540 32 bit
64* ;)
Windows 7 Pro x64 - Pale Moon x64
We hope for multiprocessing