Missing codecs for mp4, and comments to resolved 'No Audio; Video works' post

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
doffen

Missing codecs for mp4, and comments to resolved 'No Audio; Video works' post

Unread post by doffen » 2017-12-04, 10:54

I have seen the topic No Audio; Video works, and had a comment there before I saw that the matter was resolved, so I made this post instead.

I have video and sound, but not in all: I get the following message when trying to watch the video in the link below:
"You have to install codecs for mp4 to watch the video". What is the meaning of that?
https://tv.nrk.no/serie/handlingens-menn/KMTE51003415/02-12-2017
I have the media.mediasource.mp4.enabled in about:config at the default 'true' setting.

Re: my comments to _z0rk_'s post 'No Audio; Video works':

I also noted that when I changed the video settings in PM preferences, the result from the youtube video test changed from what was shown in the 'No Audio; Video works' post linked to on top.
I disabled the asynchronously setting, and enabled the MSE for WebMvideo setting
I disabled the asynchronously setting, and enabled the MSE for WebMvideo setting
mse-choice.jpg (7.22 KiB) Viewed 1260 times
The MSE & WebM VP9 is now enabled
The MSE & WebM VP9 is now enabled
I run from a live 32-bit Puppylinux Lucid 5.2.8.7, and PM 27.6.2

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: Missing codecs for mp4, and comments to resolved 'No Audio; Video works' post

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2017-12-04, 19:53

doffen wrote:I run from a live 32-bit Puppylinux Lucid 5.2.8.7, and PM 27.6.2
See the 3rd and 4th posts in thread viewtopic.php?f=37&t=17598 I don't know if that version of Puppy has the minimum necessary version of libavcodec AND THE ASSOCIATED CODECS to support H.264 in Pale Moon.
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

doffen

Re: Missing codecs for mp4, and comments to resolved 'No Audio; Video works' post

Unread post by doffen » 2017-12-05, 02:12

I have liavcodec 52.72.2 and 53.8.0, and media.libavcodec.allow-obsolete was already set to true, and media.mediasource.mp4.enabled was also set to true. I'll check all other mods to about:config to see if I have made some mistakes.

Edit: Yup, it seems that I have made some mods to about:confiig that don't agree with mp4 video! :oops:
I started PM without my .moonchild productions, it made a new one, and played the mp4 video in the link in the first post. But, the video is very 'choppy', every movement is very staccato, so I will be pleased if someone can tell me why, and maybe suggest a solution?

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2017-12-05, 03:14

doffen wrote:IBut, the video is very 'choppy', every movement is very staccato, so I will be pleased if someone can tell me why, and maybe suggest a solution?
Puppy linux usually implies running on an older machine. What is the cpu on the machine, and how much ram does it have?
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

doffen

Unread post by doffen » 2017-12-05, 12:56

The video on the site below is very choppy, but some mp4 videos on other sites are smoother flowing. They are viewed in their original format, not full screen.
https://tv.nrk.no/serie/handlingens-menn/KMTE51003415/02-12-2017

My current PC is an old HP/Compaq d530 USDT, with an Intel 2.6GHz P4, 1 Gb RAM, 5 Gb Swap, OpenGL Renderer Mesa DRI 856G, HP L2245w screen.

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2017-12-06, 03:13

doffen wrote:My current PC is an old HP/Compaq d530 USDT, with an Intel 2.6GHz P4, 1 Gb RAM, 5 Gb Swap, OpenGL Renderer Mesa DRI 856G, HP L2245w screen.
1 Gb RAM is definitely a low-end machine by today's standards. Also, HTML5 is more demanding than Flash. Upgrading to 3 or 4 gigabytes of RAM would definitely improve performance, but I expect additional ram is hard to find for such an old machine.
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

doffen

Unread post by doffen » 2017-12-06, 03:52

Thank you, Walter, but I'm afraid that is my newest PC! :)

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2017-12-06, 20:42

In that case, playing the video stream in an external player usually uses less CPU. There are some extensions that will let you pass off the stream to an external player, or just download the whole video and then you can open it in the external player. There are also some non-browser applications that do the same thing, such as SMPlayer or QMplay2.

Those are some ancient libav libraries in your version of Puppy, too. Can those be upgraded to modern versions? If not, there are some other very lightweight distros out there that have much more recent packages...Bunsen Labs and antiX are two based on Debian, for example.

doffen

Unread post by doffen » 2017-12-09, 20:03

Thank you, stevepusser, I guess I have to upgrade my puppy soon!