Saving webpages with Pale Moon does not work in an expected way Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Donotfillintheblank

Saving webpages with Pale Moon does not work in an expected way

Unread post by Donotfillintheblank » 2017-11-30, 00:51

I am using PM right now, and I have been busy saving webpages on HDD.

However I noticed, on opening one of those in the browser, that just the bare HTML (naked, as it were) appears to be saved. This means no pictures, no smilies, no formatting, no adequate fonts, etc.

What is the cause? I tried replacing the .php extension with .html, I also tried just adding ".html", and I tried just keeping the .php extension - all to no avail.

I have to add I remember noticing the same thing earlier today while using Firefox-Light (or Light-Firefox - not sure what the correct name is - AKA "Light"). That browser however has obvious problems, with add-ons losing functonality etc., but this would show it could be a common problem PM has with Mozilla.

Be that as it may, I would be grateful if someone could point out the reason for this malfunction and/or a possible solution.

Donotfillintheblank

Re: Saving webpages with Pale Moon does not work in an expected way

Unread post by Donotfillintheblank » 2017-11-30, 00:52

PM 27.6.0 x86_64 here, Linux.
OS = Porteus

And yet another addition.

Lest there be a misunderstanding - everything is actually saved, but only the bare html is rendered when I open the webpage in the browser.

Donotfillintheblank

Unread post by Donotfillintheblank » 2017-11-30, 01:10

I tried with Opera-Legacy just a few minutes ago, so I can compare.

The problem does not exist with Opera (at least, the old one). Opera however automatically saves webpages (even those with php extension, like those of the Pale Moon forum) with either the html, or the mht extension.

When opening the saved webpage again with Opera, it is shown perfectly like it was, straight from the web.

When opening THE SAME SAVED WEBPAGE with Pale Moon, it is also perfectly rendered !

So it has something to do with the way the browser is saving the pages.

troypulk

Unread post by troypulk » 2017-11-30, 02:01

I just saved MSN.com and it seemed to save the pictures and formatting just fine.

I clicked on "save as" and saved to my HD, I'm not sure what your issue is.

LimboSlam
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by LimboSlam » 2017-11-30, 02:19

I never knew you could save a whole webpage and render it without the help of an add-on, so maybe MozArchiver would be of help: https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/mozarchiver/?
With Pale Moon by my side, surfing the web is quite enjoyable and takes my headaches away! :)
God is not punishing you, He is preparing you. Trust His plan, not your pain.#‎TrentShelton #‎RehabTime

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2017-11-30, 04:29

I don't seem to have that issue either but I stopped using that particular way of saving a long time ago
as I did not like the way it saved the page in two separate files, one for all the files and the other for the actual page.

So I now use various PDF saving formats to save web pages. My favorite but no longer working was Printpagestopdf
Some say the newest version still works but I cannot get it anymore due to the creators web page being gone.

So I have been using two other ways. 1st is pdfit 1.15.1-signed.1-signed
Screenshot - 11_29_2017 , 9_26_22 PM.png
And the other is BullzipPDF. It is actually a OS level program that allows me to print to pdf anything I print on my computer.
I have it set up to automatically open the pdf so I can preview and save where I want. But as you can see, there are some differences.
Screenshot - 11_29_2017 , 9_26_36 PM.png
So I use the first one most of the time due to the fact that it renders the page just as I see it.

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by billmcct » 2017-12-02, 10:04

"pdfit 1.15.1-signed.1-signed" does not save the complete page. All you can get is what's visible, there are no links saved. Using "Print pages to PDF 0.5.0.2.1" almost all formatting including links is saved. Both saved pages render the same in Adobe DC with the exception of links and scroll boxes.

Bill
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The difference between the Impossible and the Possible lies in a man's Determination.
Tommy Lasorda