Can no longer view videos at DailyMotion

Support and discussions for the x86/x64 Linux version of Pale Moon.

Moderators: trava90, satrow

User avatar
gracious1
Astronaut
Astronaut
Posts: 647
Joined: Sun May 15, 2016 5:00 am
Location: snowy upstate NY
Contact:

Can no longer view videos at DailyMotion

Postby gracious1 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:33 am

PM 27.7.0a2 (64-bit) (2017-11-23) on Ubuntu 14.04

Can no longer play any videos at DailyMotion (get sound, no picture). This is new; I was able to play videos back in March, on the first stable release of PM 27.

Steps to reproduce:
    1. Create clean profile.
    2. Go to this page at DailyMotion:
    Audio plays, but no video; just a black screen.
    3. Right-click on black screen.
    Context menu, expected with Flash Player, fails to pop up.

Here is the output of Troubleshooting Information:
Application Basics
------------------

Name: Pale Moon
Version: 27.7.0a2
Build ID: 20171123043210
User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/3.4 Firefox/52.9 PaleMoon/27.7.0a2
OS: Linux 4.4.0-101-generic
Multiprocess Windows: 0/1 (default: false)
Safe Mode: false

Extensions
----------

Graphics
--------

Adapter Description: X.Org -- Gallium 0.4 on AMD KABINI (DRM 2.43.0, LLVM 3.8.0)
Device ID: Gallium 0.4 on AMD KABINI (DRM 2.43.0, LLVM 3.8.0)
Driver Version: 3.0 Mesa 11.2.0
GPU Accelerated Windows: 0/1 Basic
Vendor ID: X.Org
WebGL Renderer: X.Org -- Gallium 0.4 on AMD KABINI (DRM 2.43.0, LLVM 3.8.0)
windowLayerManagerRemote: false
AzureCanvasBackend: cairo
AzureContentBackend: cairo
AzureFallbackCanvasBackend: none
AzureSkiaAccelerated: 0

Important Modified Preferences
------------------------------

browser.cache.disk.capacity: 358400
browser.cache.disk.smart_size.first_run: false
browser.download.importedFromSqlite: true
browser.places.smartBookmarksVersion: 4
browser.startup.homepage_override.buildID: 20171123043210
browser.startup.homepage_override.mstone: 3.4.1
extensions.lastAppVersion: 27.7.0a2
image.http.accept: image/webp,image/jxr,image/png,image/*;q=0.8,*/*;q=0.5
network.cookie.prefsMigrated: true
places.history.expiration.transient_current_max_pages: 88840
privacy.sanitize.migrateFx3Prefs: true

Important Locked Preferences
----------------------------

Places Database
---------------

JavaScript
----------

Incremental GC: true

Accessibility
-------------

Activated: false
Prevent Accessibility: 1

Library Versions
----------------

NSPR
Expected minimum version: 4.16
Version in use: 4.16

NSS
Expected minimum version: 3.32.1
Version in use: 3.32.1

NSSSMIME
Expected minimum version: 3.32.1
Version in use: 3.32.1

NSSSSL
Expected minimum version: 3.32.1
Version in use: 3.32.1

NSSUTIL
Expected minimum version: 3.32.1
Version in use: 3.32.1

Experimental Features
---------------------


Here is screenshot of plugins page from Add-ons Manager:
PM Adobe Flash plugin addons manager.png


Lastly, here are my ffmpeg and libav installations:

Code: Select all

~$ apt-cache policy ffmpeg libav-tools
ffmpeg:
  Installed: 7:3.3.3~trusty2
  Candidate: 7:3.3.3~trusty2
  Version table:
 *** 7:3.3.3~trusty2 0
        500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/mc3man/trusty-media/ubuntu/ trusty/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
libav-tools:
  Installed: 6:9.20-0ubuntu0.14.04.2+fdkaac
  Candidate: 6:9.20-0ubuntu0.14.04.2+fdkaac
  Version table:
 *** 6:9.20-0ubuntu0.14.04.2+fdkaac 0
        500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/mc3man/trusty-media/ubuntu/ trusty/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     6:9.20-0ubuntu0.14.04.1 0
        500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty-updates/universe amd64 Packages
        500 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty-security/universe amd64 Packages
     6:9.11-2ubuntu2 0
        500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty/universe amd64 Packages
ImageBe not the first by whom the new are tried, nor yet the last to lay the old aside.

User avatar
Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side
Posts: 2936
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:19 am
Location: Texas, USA

Re: Can no longer view videos at DailyMotion

Postby Night Wing » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:05 pm

gracious1 wrote:PM 27.7.0a2 (64-bit) (2017-11-23) on Ubuntu 14.04

Can no longer play any videos at DailyMotion (get sound, no picture). This is new; I was able to play videos back in March, on the first stable release of PM 27.

Steps to reproduce:
2. Go to this page at DailyMotion:
Audio plays, but no video; just a black screen.]


Did you forget something? Unless I just can't see it, where is the link for the page at DailyMotion?
Linux Mint 18.2 (Sonya) Xfce 64-Bit (Default OS) with 64-Bit linux Pale Moon
Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit (Backup OS) with 32-Bit windows Pale Moon

User avatar
gracious1
Astronaut
Astronaut
Posts: 647
Joined: Sun May 15, 2016 5:00 am
Location: snowy upstate NY
Contact:

Re: Can no longer view videos at DailyMotion

Postby gracious1 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:43 pm

Night Wing wrote:Did you forget something? Unless I just can't see it, where is the link for the page at DailyMotion?

Yes I forgot to include it. Lack of sleep. :oops:

Here is the link, although frankly, I can't play ANY video at DailyMotion, so it doesn't matter:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3m08in
ImageBe not the first by whom the new are tried, nor yet the last to lay the old aside.

User avatar
Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side
Posts: 2936
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:19 am
Location: Texas, USA

Re: Can no longer view videos at DailyMotion

Postby Night Wing » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:37 pm

I get the same thing as you with linux Pale Moon. Audio with a black screen.

In linux SeaMonkey, there is no audio and a black screen.

In linux Firefox ESR version, I get audio and I can see the video (looks like a CHIPs pilot tv show).

I don't have Chrome installed on any of my computers so I can't test Chrome and all of my computers were Windows machines to start with. Maybe DailyMotion is only supporting the "Big Four" browsers such as Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer and Safari.
Linux Mint 18.2 (Sonya) Xfce 64-Bit (Default OS) with 64-Bit linux Pale Moon
Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit (Backup OS) with 32-Bit windows Pale Moon

RJARRRPCGP
Fanatic
Fanatic
Posts: 106
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:48 pm
Location: USA (Bellows Falls, Vermont)

Re: Can no longer view videos at DailyMotion

Postby RJARRRPCGP » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:02 am

Night Wing wrote:I get the same thing as you with linux Pale Moon. Audio with a black screen.

In linux SeaMonkey, there is no audio and a black screen.

In linux Firefox ESR version, I get audio and I can see the video (looks like a CHIPs pilot tv show).

I don't have Chrome installed on any of my computers so I can't test Chrome and all of my computers were Windows machines to start with. Maybe DailyMotion is only supporting the "Big Four" browsers such as Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer and Safari.


The new DailyMotion seems to not give a dang about consumers! It seems more about executive power-tripping!

coffeebreak
Astronaut
Astronaut
Posts: 888
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:51 am
Location: U.S.

Re: Can no longer view videos at DailyMotion

Postby coffeebreak » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:11 am

Got the same thing on Windows 7 x86: black screen with audio.
DailyMotion seems to have retooled their player for html5 (I think until recently they required Flash).

The video did play here on Windows if Flash Player was disabled - PM and Basilisk both.

(It also played in FF 52.5esr (in html5) - but without having to disable Flash Player.)
Last edited by coffeebreak on Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Walter Dnes
Lunatic
Lunatic
Posts: 368
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:29 pm
Location: Vaughan, ON, Canada

Re: Can no longer view videos at DailyMotion

Postby Walter Dnes » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:49 am

The latest 32-bit unstable 27.7.0a2_171127 (32-bit) works fine in HTML5; I don't have Flash installed. CHIPS pilot in Spanish. I just watched the beginning, where a guy in a Porsche escaped two police on motorcycles. I assume that the latest 64-bit unstable will also work.

User avatar
troypulk
Fanatic
Fanatic
Posts: 208
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:53 pm
Location: Washington State, USA

Re: Can no longer view videos at DailyMotion

Postby troypulk » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:51 am

gracious1 wrote:
Night Wing wrote:Did you forget something? Unless I just can't see it, where is the link for the page at DailyMotion?

Yes I forgot to include it. Lack of sleep. :oops:

Here is the link, although frankly, I can't play ANY video at DailyMotion, so it doesn't matter:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3m08in



Just disable your Flash Player and it should work.
SolydX EE x64

Pale Moon 27.6.2 x64

User avatar
gracious1
Astronaut
Astronaut
Posts: 647
Joined: Sun May 15, 2016 5:00 am
Location: snowy upstate NY
Contact:

Re: Can no longer view videos at DailyMotion

Postby gracious1 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:31 am

Walter Dnes wrote:The latest 32-bit unstable 27.7.0a2_171127 (32-bit) works fine in HTML5. …CHIPS pilot in Spanish.

Italian, actually . ;)
troypulk wrote:Just disable your Flash Player and it should work.

coffeebreak wrote:The video did play here on Windows if Flash Player was disabled - PM and Basilisk both.


Disabling Flash plug-in did the trick! :clap:
Unfortunately, that breaks a lot of other sites for me.

So I tried using Permissions Manager to disable Flash plug-in just for http://www.dailiymotion.com
However, when I changed the setting to Block, I get this at DailyMotion:
PM DailyMotion Flash blocked site only.png


So weirdly, when I globally disable Flash, the video plays. If I use Permissions Manager to block flash just for the one site, I get the above warning, and the video doesn't play.

Is there some way to disable Flash plug-in for the site only? Isn't that what Permissions Manager is supposed to do? It's kind of a pain to disable Flash in the Add-ons Manager for one site, then re-enable it when I go to another site.
ImageBe not the first by whom the new are tried, nor yet the last to lay the old aside.

Walter Dnes
Lunatic
Lunatic
Posts: 368
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:29 pm
Location: Vaughan, ON, Canada

Re: Can no longer view videos at DailyMotion

Postby Walter Dnes » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:20 am

gracious1 wrote:Disabling Flash plug-in did the trick! :clap:
Unfortunately, that breaks a lot of other sites for me.

So I tried using Permissions Manager to disable Flash plug-in just for http://www.dailiymotion.com
However, when I changed the setting to Block, I get this at DailyMotion:
PM DailyMotion Flash blocked site only.png

So weirdly, when I globally disable Flash, the video plays. If I use Permissions Manager to block flash just for the one site, I get the above warning, and the video doesn't play.

Is there some way to disable Flash plug-in for the site only? Isn't that what Permissions Manager is supposed to do? It's kind of a pain to disable Flash in the Add-ons Manager for one site, then re-enable it when I go to another site.

I assume you have only one profile for Pale Moon. You can create multiple, independant profiles. I have approximately 20.
    From a terminal (xterm or whatever) execute palemoon -new-instance -p
    This launches the profile manager, giving you a list of existing profiles. WRITE DOWN THEIR NAMES FOR FUTURE USE!
    From the profile manager select the option to create a new profile; call it dailymotion
    Start that profile and tweak it to your preferences
    Disable Flash from the "Tools" menu
    Under "Edit ==> Preferences" set "When Pale Moon starts: Show my home page"
    For "Home Page" set http://www.dailymotion.com

Remember the list of profiles I asked you to write down? Because you now have multiple profiles, you can't simply execute "palemoon"; you have to specify the profile. In whatever program launcher your system uses make separate entries, e.g. palemoon -new-instance -p dailymotion and repeat for each profile you have on your list. Label them on your desktop, so you know which icon is which. Note that extensions are valid only in the profile they're downloaded to. If you want an extension to show up in 10 profiles, you have to download it 10 times. But plug-ins (e.g. Flash) only need to be installed once.

EDIT:
Now you can run Daily Motion in from your Flash-disabled profile.

User avatar
gracious1
Astronaut
Astronaut
Posts: 647
Joined: Sun May 15, 2016 5:00 am
Location: snowy upstate NY
Contact:

Re: Can no longer view videos at DailyMotion

Postby gracious1 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:22 am

Walter Dnes. Thanks. I have something like 22 profiles now, myself! I had considered creating a 23rd just for DailyMotion. But I decided I would ask the community if there is a different solution, that allows me to disable Flash on a per-site basis.

I'm still wondering why I can't accomplish this with Permissions Manager.
ImageBe not the first by whom the new are tried, nor yet the last to lay the old aside.

coffeebreak
Astronaut
Astronaut
Posts: 888
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:51 am
Location: U.S.

Re: Can no longer view videos at DailyMotion

Postby coffeebreak » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:32 am

The player works here with a user agent override for FF 52esr - in both PM and Basilisk.

Code: Select all

general.useragent.override.dailymotion.com

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0

There's also an extension or two out there to enable/disable Flash Player (globally) with a toolbar button, if you care to handle it that way. You'd have to search for them.


Return to “Pale Moon for Linux”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests