Tab from previous session opens in new, impossible?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
doffen

Tab from previous session opens in new, impossible?

Unread post by doffen » 2017-11-20, 05:51

I run Palemoon 27.6.1 in a live Puppylinux Lucid 5.2.8.7. I have set my preferences to acceps all cookies, but to delete them on closing Palemoon, as well as deleting history and all other session settings. I don't use bookmarks.

I have on several occasions in 27.6.1 experienced something that really should not be possible. Because I automatically delete all session settings when the browser closes, I have also made a habit of closing the browser after finishing browsing a topic, before switching to a new topic. When I open several tabs in a new browser session, a tab from a previous session has sometimes suddenly loaded, despite that all cookies and history from the previous session was deleted! That should not be possible! It happens when I use the center mouse button (ordinary 3-button USB mouse) to open a link in a new tab, I have not seen it when I right-click an uses the dialog to open a link in a new tab.
I also have a problem with opening the preferences sometimes. What is going on?

doffen

Re: Tab from previous session opens in new, impossible?

Unread post by doffen » 2017-11-21, 05:13

With the blinking loading tabs, slow opening of sites (see previous thread), and now this, I decided to switch back to 27.5.1

doffen

Unread post by doffen » 2018-05-07, 23:31

I use the Palemoon 27.9.0 in a live Puppylinux Lucid 5.2.8.7. I have just experienced the same problem as descibed before.

While opening posts from a forum in new tabs, one tab suddenly contained a post from a previously browsed forum, from a finished PM session.
I had logged out of the previous forum as usual, and closed Palemoon - as I always do when changing a topic. I don't store history, all cookies are deleted when PM closes, and I opened a new PM.

What is going on, have anybody else experienced this?

May the directory /root/.cache/moonchild productions/ have anything to do with this behaviour?
If so, could you add an extra option to the dialog window shown below, to also clear the contents of .cache?
Attachments
My usual settings.
My usual settings.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-05-08, 02:48

I cannot reproduce your problem using 64 bit linux Pale Moon 27.9.1 running in 64 bit linux Mint 18.3 (Sylvia) whether I'm in the Pale Moon forums or the linux Mint forums.

Have you tried using the new version of linux Pale Moon (27.9.1)?
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2018-05-08, 14:44

doffen wrote:May the directory /root/.cache/moonchild productions/ have anything to do with this behaviour?
Not questioning your Linux proficiency but running a browser, actually most of the applications for that matter, as root is not recommended and may cause issues.

doffen

Unread post by doffen » 2018-05-08, 17:29

Not questioning your Linux proficiency but running a browser, actually most of the applications for that matter, as root is not recommended and may cause issues.
I have been running my Puppies for more than 8 years as root, and never experienced any issues related to running as root. Please elaborate.
Night Wing wrote:Have you tried using the new version of linux Pale Moon (27.9.1)?
I installed it half an hour after writing the post... :)

The situation occurs sporadically, and is really puzzling.

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2018-05-09, 07:49

doffen wrote:I have been running my Puppies for more than 8 years as root, and never experienced any issues related to running as root. Please elaborate.
Off-topic:
You seem to know what you are doing but consider this: a web browser displays untrusted remote content, so if there is security vulnerability in your browser, an attacker can cause more damage if the process is running with higher privileges. All user applications should be run with minimal access.

doffen

Unread post by doffen » 2018-05-10, 05:58

adesh, I forgot one word in the sentence I have been running my Puppies for more than 8 years as root, it should read:
"I have been running my live Puppies for more than 8 years as root".

A live Puppylinux is compact, boot off a CD or DVD or USBstick, and load it's entire contents into RAM. After that you may remove the disc, and all programs are run directly from RAM, as root, including the browser. That makes a Puppy very fast, even on an old PC, and also very safe. If the disc is burnt as a multisession disc, you may also save your sessions back to the same disc.
There is a lot of info here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy
Last edited by doffen on 2018-05-10, 06:01, edited 2 times in total.

doffen

Unread post by doffen » 2018-05-15, 01:03

I would really like a comment from somone familiar with the Palemoon's internal behaviour! No one??