Alert! Download site seems to be infected with myquickconverter

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
SamSpeed

Alert! Download site seems to be infected with myquickconverter

Unread post by SamSpeed » 2017-11-04, 00:09

So I'm looking at linux.palemoon.org -- there's a download button way at the bottom of the screen. If you press it it takes you to myquickconvertor.com and it will install some malware for you if you follow the directions.

This is not good.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Alert! Download site seems to be infected with myquickconverter

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-11-04, 00:22

Or.. you could pay attention and realize that you were looking at an advertisement.
Although "myquickconverter" is not something you were there for and might be unwanted, it's not an "infection".
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

thosrtanner
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by thosrtanner » 2017-11-05, 13:16

Nonetheless shouldn't you get something done about the advert?

mommabear
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by mommabear » 2017-11-05, 13:27

2017-11-05_082456.jpg
thosrtanner wrote:Nonetheless shouldn't you get something done about the advert?
Windows 7 Home Premium, Sp 1
Pale Moon 28.4.1 64-bit

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-11-05, 14:12

thosrtanner wrote:Nonetheless shouldn't you get something done about the advert?
What, exactly, do you expect me to do about the ad? We can't control in what way ads are made; at most we can make as clear as possible that it's an advertisement (which we generally do) -- we can't protect against people not paying attention and just clicking the thing that looks like a "big green download button".
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

thosrtanner
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by thosrtanner » 2017-11-05, 18:40

you presumably get the ads from a supplier thereof

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-11-05, 18:41

Like every other website on the planet.

thosrtanner
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by thosrtanner » 2017-11-05, 18:43

And you can't point this out to them? That they're supplying adverts from a site infected with malware? I'd have thought they'd be grateful for the alert.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-11-05, 19:59

thosrtanner wrote:And you can't point this out to them? That they're supplying adverts from a site infected with malware? I'd have thought they'd be grateful for the alert.
You may want to read up a little on this type of ad-supported software.
It entirely depends on your definition of malware. The software may be aggressive in what it does, but that doesn't make it malicious, directly, and therefore not malware.
As said before it's not an "infection" to have an ad up for it, because it is actual software -- it may be unwanted software (PUP) for people who don't want the "added value" of their toolbars in browsers, don't appreciate the aggressive advertising strategies it uses, or because of the company who makes it, but that does not necessarily make it a "you can't advertise this" offense. Some people may find its suggested offers genuinely useful, too. The revenue they get from this pays for their development and advertising costs.

So, you may not like it, but the people who created this software actually pay for the advertising of it, like any other software vendor. It doesn't "infect" websites, and it doesn't "infect" your browser either when you install it, yourself -- it is a core part of this software to add toolbars and redirect traffic to sites that provide them with revenue (the software's conversion features clearly have to be paid for somehow, since you're not buying the software; it's ad-supported). If you download and install it, you, yourself agree to having its features installed on your system.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not defending this kind of aggressive browser takeover it seems to do (because I would have none of that, either!), but I am pointing out the fact that there is nothing wrong with them advertising their own product on other websites. I can point out the nature of the program to the ad network, but there's likely very little that will be done about it because the ad doesn't break any rules. :coffee:

SamSpeed

Unread post by SamSpeed » 2017-11-06, 04:22

First of all my apologies for setting off this storm. I'm not normally like that. But here's my story...

Was just about finished rejuvenating an old laptop with Linux Lite and thought that Pale Moon would be the perfect finishing touch. I'd been at it for hours, and had read to the bottom of the download page and there before my tired eyes was a big DOWNLOAD button. So I pushed it. Mea culpa -- mainly for not wearing my glasses.

After I installed and saw the results, which were pretty nasty, I jumped to the conclusion that the website had been hacked in some way, and dashed off my post. Surely a trusty site like palemoon.org would not knowing offer a download with a fake installer. I posted in haste, but in good faith -- used strong words like Alert thinking it was appropriate. I am sorry for causing upset and for not doing due diligence.

Regards

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-11-06, 04:35

No worries Sam. I can certainly understand that it set off some alarm bells because it's most definitely not what you were there for, and those kinds of advertisements are most certainly misleading enough when placed on a software site (on purpose). There's just not much that can be done on our side -- I do try to keep "big download button" ads off of our pages, as I do have some measure of control for blocking individual ads if I really don't want them, but it's a prayer without end because it is the kind of thing these companies do again and again each day, and as said there's nothing there that breaks advertising rules.