Updating Pale Moon in Linux

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Re: Updating Pale Moon in Linux

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-10-13, 05:31

NewMoon1 wrote:Thanks!
It was in /opt and is now removed.
What shall I so next? Remove something else or reinstall?
And what shall I do with home/jan-erik/.moonchild productions?
Do nothing with that directory. It has your profile, which has all your bookmarks, passwords, etc. It will be used by your new installation.

Now you re-install Pale Moon. (BTW, the user removed the old version by using the command(s) I gave here.)

The instructions I provided in the tutorial should work with Linux Mint 17.x to install Pale Moon.
If you are using 18.x, you have to substitute '16' wherever you see '14' in the instructions, because Mint 18.x is derived from Ubuntu 16.04 LTS.

If you aren't sure which version you are using, please enter this command and share your output with us.

Code: Select all

lsb_release -a
Please, if something goes wrong, also copy in the Terminal window when you attempt to install Pale Moon and paste here in the forum. (Use Ctrl-Shift-C for copy in the Terminal window rather than Ctrl-C.
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

oscar

Unread post by oscar » 2017-10-13, 13:15

stevepusser wrote:It seems you also accidentally added the Ubuntu 16.10 repository instead of the 16.04 one, based on the error message. Just remove the file that contains the repository:

sudo rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/palemoon.list
Then go back and repeat the install directions from the start again to add the correct 16.04 repository. You don't have to remove any keys, as it doesn't hurt to have the 16.10 one in your keyring, but make sure you have both the correct repo and key for 16.04 installed.
the command did not work. the terminal told me no such file exist. it's very complicated for me. I do understand the essence of what you tell me, but I think I will leave it be. I have to do a clean ubuntu install soon anyway.( theres a bug on this one.) I will be carefull when I install palemoon next time. the debian way to do it is new to me. thank you so much for taking your time. I'm sorry for wasting it

oscar

Unread post by oscar » 2017-10-13, 13:23

gracious1 wrote:
oscar wrote: I copied and pasted the command in the terminal( rm -f Release.key) but nothing happened.
There is generally no output from this command.
oscar wrote:I get the message: " NO_PUBKEY" ( followed by a series of numbers and letters )
Please share the series of numbers and letters. Just copy and paste here. I can tell you exactly how to fix this Gnu Privacy Guard (GPG) error once I have that. Those letters and numbers are your missing key.

Basically the solution is one of these:

A.

gpg --keyserver hkp://subkeys.pgp.net --recv-keys [YOURKEYINQUESTION]
gpg --armor --export [YOURKEYINQUESTION] | sudo apt-key add -
B. Or, in Ubuntu (and some other Linux distros)

sudo apt-key adv --recv-keys --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com [YOURKEYINQUESTION]
Leave out the brackets. Just substitute the series of numbers and letters, your key.

After A or B run

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install palemoon
I will bookmark this page. like I wrote to steven pusser; I choose to do a reinstall in a few weeks along with a fresh installation of ubuntu 16.04 it's buggy. i'm sorry for wasting your time. at least I now know what causes this issue. i'm no tech savvy and a bit afraid that I might screw things completely op.

NewMoon1
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by NewMoon1 » 2017-10-13, 13:54

I just successfully installed Pale Moon in Linux Mint 17.
Thanks!

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2017-10-13, 22:04

NewMoon1 wrote:I just successfully installed Pale Moon in Linux Mint 17.
Thanks!
Just a note, the openSUSE build service that hosts my repo is going to be having a planned outage this weekend, and it seems they may have started early, since I can't access it ATM.

NewMoon1
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by NewMoon1 » 2017-10-14, 20:44

Now that I have with your valuable help been able to install PM in a proper way in Linux Mint there is one question that arose:
There is an add-on Complete YouTube Saver that is still available. But to it, one should also download FFmpeg to a location, to which one has to refer in the Options.
FFmpeg contains exe files which normally do not run in Linux... Or do they within then PM frame?
Where should I in that case put the folder FFmpeg and how do I then refer to it?

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2017-10-14, 20:53

NewMoon1 wrote:FFmpeg contains exe files which normally do not run in Linux... Or do they within then PM frame?
Where should I in that case put the folder FFmpeg and how do I then refer to it?
According to the AMO page for Complete YouTube Saver:
-Debian/Ubuntu Linux users: your OS ships with an outdated version of FFmpeg, please, download the tested FFmpeg static binary for your system here: http://www.cys-audiovideodownloader.com ... Linux.html
My recommendation would be to follow their link for instructions regarding using that extension on Linux.
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

NewMoon1
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by NewMoon1 » 2017-10-15, 07:03

Thanks! I will try...

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2017-10-15, 22:01

You only need FFmpeg if you wish to use your addon to convert the Youtube video to some other format. Since you can already download the video from Youtube in many different formats and resolutions already, you probably don't need the feature anyway...and the ffmpeg already in the repositories may be just fine if you do need to convert.

There must also be PPA's available for Ubuntu and Mint that provide an up-to-date ffmpeg; a little websearch-fu should show you which ones. I maintain another repo on the OBS that provides that and many other multimedia packages for Debian 8 and 9.

Also, since I don't take everything said on the Web for granted, I downloaded and checked that linked 64-bit ffmpeg binary. Guess what? It dates from January 2016, so can't be a newer ffmpeg than you get with Ubuntu 16.04. I tried to see exactly what version it was, like I can get with the current ffmpeg I have on a Jessie base:

ffmpeg -v
ffmpeg version 3.3.4-1mx15+1 Copyright (c) 2000-2017 the FFmpeg developers
But it played tough ;) and just gave me some git release instead:

./ffmpeg -v
ffmpeg version N-52378-g757248e-static http://johnvansickle.com/ffmpeg/  Copyright (c) 2000-2016 the FFmpeg developers
But if you do need a fresh static ffmpeg, cut out that middleman and get it directly from the guy that compiles it, instead of that older version, at https://www.johnvansickle.com/ffmpeg/