Color management does't work

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Magnus

Color management does't work

Unread post by Magnus » 2017-10-08, 07:57

Color management does't work.
Yes, I had enabled color management in about:config like this "gfx.color_management.mode;1". But color management still doesn't work.
Color management works in all my other color management aware applications like Firefox, Dark table and Geeqie. But not in Pale moon.
I want to see my and others pictures the way they were intended to. For that color management is a must.
Any suggestions hove to make color management work in Pale moon?

Running Pale moon in XFCE4 on Devuan Ceres (unstable).

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Color management does't work

Unread post by adesh » 2017-10-08, 08:26

Magnus

Unread post by Magnus » 2017-10-08, 11:28

Can you please be little more specific and point out the answer to my question.

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2017-10-08, 11:38

OK. A pictures speaks thousand words. So, ...
Stop_using_ICC_profiles_on_Linux._·_MoonchildProductions_Pale-Moon@62d7396_·_GitHub_-_2017-10-08_17.01.53.png
Off-topic:
This is hand holding. We cannot help you if you are not willing to follow the links you are given. If you fail to undertand something, ask specific questions.

Magnus

Unread post by Magnus » 2017-10-08, 12:56

You think you are a funny guy, don't you? But if you don't wont to help me don't write crap in my thread.

I understand that color management is off by default. But if I put it on in the about:config wouldn't it work then?

mr tribute
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by mr tribute » 2017-10-08, 19:11

Magnus wrote: I understand that color management is off by default. But if I put it on in the about:config wouldn't it work then?
You are correct Magnus. This feature is off by default in Pale Moon for Linux. I think that's the right decision for a number of reasons. One of them being that this feature is broken in Pale Moon for Linux. It works in Firefox for Linux last time I checked. If you really want this feature on Linux better use Firefox. Eventually Pale Moon will move to a newer codebase which might fix the problem.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-10-09, 06:21

It's not broken in Pale Moon, but Pale Moon requires basic desktop color calibration to be done before it will work; this is usually omitted in Linux installations so it's disabled by default to prevent wildly wrong colors.
If you have calibrated your color, you can enable color management with the preferences indicated. Mind that you will have to completely exit and restart the browser for these changes to be picked up.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Magnus

Unread post by Magnus » 2017-10-09, 15:28

Thanks for you answers mr tribute and Moonchild.

I have a calibrated my screen with Argyll. The the computer boot up it load the screen calibration (VideoLUT) and the color profile. It works with all other color management aware applications (Firefox, Thunderbird, Dark table and Geeqie) except Pale Moon.
I had both a desktop and a laptop and both acts exactly the same.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-10-09, 16:55

Firefox probably works (but not correctly) because as of today they still do not enable ICC v4 profiles.
Unfortunately I can't help you any further here because I have 0 experience with any CMS on Linux.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite