Make character encoding "sticky"

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Vance

Make character encoding "sticky"

Unread post by Vance » 2017-10-01, 20:29

I keep going to "View" > "Character encoding" and setting it to Western, then it goes back to Unicode. (I'm using Linux Mint 17.3.) How do I make the choice stick?

_yuyu_
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: Make character encoding "sticky"

Unread post by _yuyu_ » 2017-10-01, 22:04

On Windows I use Charset Switcher. It remembers encoding choice per site. Sorry can't check on Linux...
Pale Moon 32-bit on Win 7 x64

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-10-01, 22:07

If you need to do this every time to have a readable site, then you should contact the site owners to make sure they indicate the correct page encoding.
The character set menu is only there for debugging/troubleshooting/development purposes and should not (have to) be used on a regular basis by browser users.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Vance

Unread post by Vance » 2018-05-28, 17:00

Moonchild wrote:If you need to do this every time to have a readable site, then you should contact the site owners to make sure they indicate the correct page encoding.
The character set menu is only there for debugging/troubleshooting/development purposes and should not (have to) be used on a regular basis by browser users.
Did you find a solution? The notion that people at websites will change their sites for me is absurd. There has to be some way in Pale Moon to set Western as the default.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-05-28, 21:59

The solution is what I already indicated. Contact the website owners and make sure they send a character encoding (meta) tag with their pages if they want it displayed with the correct code page on every browser. It's not to be changed for "you", it's for everyone! Unicode is the de-facto standard encoding these days, so that is Pale Moon's default for most locales.

You can set the default fallback to Western in Pale Moon's preferences, but that will likely break more sites than it fixes.
You can find it under Preferences -> Content -> "Advanced" under "Fonts & Colors -> Encoding for legacy content. Set that to "Other (including Western)"
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2018-05-29, 08:06

For what is worth, specifying the charset with a meta tag is mandatory according to the W3 commitee, so if a website doesn't specify it, it's not standard-compliant and is working only because of the combined power of chance and legacy.