Site crashing Pale Moon Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Donotfillintheblank

Site crashing Pale Moon

Unread post by Donotfillintheblank » 2017-09-23, 11:36

This site seems to systematically crash Pale Moon : http://t-online.de

I have many tabs open. If the site mentioned is in one of the tabs, and after starting Pale Moon this tab is activated, at first the site is loading, and at some point Pale Moon suddenly crashes.

This happened several times.

It also happens if I stop the site from loading before it is fully loaded.

Pale Moon 27.4.2 with Ublock and NoScript and a few other, non-active extensions (basically only Ublock and NoScript could be interfering with the site at the moment of loading AFAIK).

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Site crashing Pale Moon

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-09-23, 12:50

Site loads fine on 27.4.2-Windows x86

Please include basic information about your browser and environment, as well as details about the crash. See the stickies in the support boards.
Also important to know: are you using our binaries, did you build it yourself, or are you using a distro-specific build and if so, which one?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

tooshorttoolong
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by tooshorttoolong » 2017-09-23, 17:25

For what it’s worth… no crash here with PM 27.4.2 on Gentoo Linux 64 bit (which means I built PM on my system, with gcc 5.4). I also use uBlock origin, and uMatrix, but disabled uMatrix to be sure.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2017-09-23, 17:56

No crash either using 64 bit linux Pale Moon 27.4.2 running in 64 bit linux Mint 18.2 (Sonya).
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2017-09-23, 19:10

No crash here either.

As Moonchild mentioned, we will need more information.

Donotfillintheblank

Unread post by Donotfillintheblank » 2017-09-30, 00:13

Moonchild wrote:Site loads fine on 27.4.2-Windows x86

Please include basic information about your browser and environment, as well as details about the crash. See the stickies in the support boards.
Also important to know: are you using our binaries, did you build it yourself, or are you using a distro-specific build and if so, which one?
I forgot to mention I was using a third-party build at that time, the "sbo" build from Khronosschoty, which I wanted to try as it seemed to be especially tailored for slackware, and I am using the Porteus distro which is based on slackware.

And I also noticed later that those crashed happened not just on that one site, but several times when clicking on some link - even one time while clicking the "back" button if I remember correctly.

I am now at this moment using 27.5.0 and it works well as far as I am able to tell.

Thanks for taking an interest and addressing these issues so diligently.

Donotfillintheblank

Unread post by Donotfillintheblank » 2017-10-01, 10:49

Update...

I have had PM crashing once last night or early this morning (still using the latest version, 27.5) and I am quite sure it happened when I clicked the back button, and so have to conclude the causes of my earlier crashes are unlikely to have been related to the sbo build itself.

I have to mention that the same thing happened before, several times, while using an older version of Opera (12.16), and it was every time site specific (it happened only on one particular site, and it happened with each new attempt to access that web address again).

So, naturally, I thought the cause was related to Opera, and this time it was related to Pale Moon. It's possible after all, in my view, that different browsers could suffer from the same or a similar flaw.

I have changed my view however and I think it is more likely the cause is something related to the OS itself (Linux Porteus 3.2.2 x86) or maybe with the drivers or the hardware (Samsung netbook). Maybe the touchpad, as I am using this exclusively?

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2017-10-05, 20:20

What do you get for "about:buildconfig"?

Donotfillintheblank

Unread post by Donotfillintheblank » 2017-10-07, 13:17

Stevepusser - a lot, maybe a bit much to paste it all here. What part are you specifically interested in?

Donotfillintheblank

Unread post by Donotfillintheblank » 2017-10-07, 13:20

What the heck, here it is:

Build Machine

PM4Linux-x86
Build platform
target
i686-pc-linux-gnu
Build tools
Compiler Version Compiler flags
gcc 4.9.1 -Wall -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wempty-body -Wpointer-to-int-cast -Wsign-compare -Wtype-limits -Wno-unused -Wcast-align -std=gnu99 -fgnu89-inline -fno-strict-aliasing -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-math-errno -pthread -pipe
c++ 4.9.1 -Wall -Wempty-body -Woverloaded-virtual -Wsign-compare -Wwrite-strings -Wno-invalid-offsetof -Wcast-align -fno-exceptions -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-rtti -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-exceptions -fno-math-errno -std=gnu++0x -pthread -pipe -DNDEBUG -DTRIMMED -g -O2 -msse2 -mfpmath=sse -floop-parallelize-all -fpredictive-commoning -ftree-loop-distribution -ftree-vectorize -fomit-frame-pointer
Configure arguments

--enable-official-branding --enable-application=browser --enable-release '--enable-optimize=-O2 -msse2 -mfpmath=sse -floop-parallelize-all -fpredictive-commoning -ftree-loop-distribution -ftree-vectorize' --disable-installer --disable-updater --disable-debug --disable-necko-wifi --enable-devtools --enable-jemalloc --enable-shared-js --with-pthreads --enable-strip --x-libraries=/usr/lib

Donotfillintheblank

Unread post by Donotfillintheblank » 2017-10-07, 13:22

This was done with the "raw" Pale Moon 27.5, without any extensions (I don't install Pale Moon and there is no slackware built for this either so I use a zipped version every time anew).

Donotfillintheblank

Unread post by Donotfillintheblank » 2017-10-07, 13:26

Question:

What does "--enable-jemalloc" (under subtitle "Configure arguments") mean?

I happen to know there is a jemalloc module for Porteus Linux which I use. Is there any need or advantage for me in installing it? Would it make Pale Moon work easier or better?

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2017-10-08, 22:19

That looks like the standard build config to me, except for these:

Code: Select all

-floop-parallelize-all -fpredictive-commoning -ftree-loop-distribution -ftree-vectorize
but I think there are other third party builds that use these and don't report the problem. I think jemalloc is telling PM to use that method of memory allocation internally, you should not need to install any external tools to use it.

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2017-10-08, 23:05

stevepusser wrote:That looks like the standard build config to me, except for these:

-floop-parallelize-all -fpredictive-commoning -ftree-loop-distribution -ftree-vectorize
but I think there are other third party builds that use these and don't report the problem.
That's "Graphite Optimization" for GCC https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/Graphite I use it on the linux SSE and linux unstable 32-bit builds, and I believe it's also used on the mainline linux build.
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2017-10-12, 02:29

Walter Dnes wrote:
stevepusser wrote:That looks like the standard build config to me, except for these:

but I think there are other third party builds that use these and don't report the problem.
That's "Graphite Optimization" for GCC https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/Graphite I use it on the linux SSE and linux unstable 32-bit builds, and I believe it's also used on the mainline linux build.
Hmmm...I didn't see it the last time I checked "about:buildconfig:" on the mainline, but it could have been changed since then. I'm sure Trava90 could lets us know in a second.

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2017-10-12, 03:52

Those flags have been used for the mainline builds for a long time now.

khronosschoty
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by khronosschoty » 2017-10-13, 06:28

Is it possible you need a "patched oxygen theme"? Just a wild guess. I'm looking more into Porteus see if I can reproduce the issue / fix it.

https://docs.slackware.com/howtos:softw ... faults_etc

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2017-10-13, 22:58

trava90 wrote:Those flags have been used for the mainline builds for a long time now.
Son of a gun...OK, adding those to my mozconfig right now.

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2017-10-14, 01:44

stevepusser wrote:Son of a gun...OK, adding those to my mozconfig right now.
Your gcc compiler does need to be built with graphite support, or else it'll choke on those parameters. At least you'll find out right away :D
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2017-10-14, 17:36

Walter Dnes wrote:
stevepusser wrote:Son of a gun...OK, adding those to my mozconfig right now.
Your gcc compiler does need to be built with graphite support, or else it'll choke on those parameters. At least you'll find out right away :D
Works OK on gcc-4.9 in Debian and Ubuntu, plus the gcc-4.9 I added to Stretch. Fails out of the box with gcc-4.7 in Debian Wheezy, but the error message said I just needed to add libcloog-ppl0 as a build-depend in that case, so I added that as a conditional alternative build-depend:

gcc (>= 4.9) | libcloog-ppl0

It's now building correctly so far on my own Wheezy virtual machine. The OBS is back up, so I'm uploading these modified 27.5.1 source files into it.