Pale Moon crashes on system type dialogs.

Support and discussions for the x86/x64 Linux version of Pale Moon.

Moderators: trava90, satrow

armanelgtron
New to the forum
New to the forum

Pale Moon crashes on system type dialogs.

Postby armanelgtron » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:54 pm

Pale Moon crashes on system dialogs such as save as, print, etc. (NOT preferences or about) with an error of "Segmentation Fault". (ex Every single time I try to save as.) This has been happening since I originally installed it on this desktop running GNU/Linux (KDE Neon) Ubuntu Xenial (16.04). (Using the latest pale moon currently 27.4.2 (64-bit) [27.4.2~repack-1]) It is AMD64 architecture with a Quad Core AMD Athlon x4 640 CPU and an NVidia GT 730 GPU.
My idea of a workaround was to use some kind of other dialog system such as zenity or KDialog, but I did not see such options in about:config or preferences.
This happens on both the offical tar.bz2 builds and the steven pusser ubuntu builds. I have not experienced this crash on other systems with pale moon. Such crashes do not happen with Chromium or Firefox (but I do not have intentions to use those on a daily basis :P)
If you would like a traceback or something please let me know.

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Re: Pale Moon crashes on system type dialogs.

Postby trava90 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:21 am

Are you using the oxygen GTK2 theme? If so, please try changing it and see if the crashes still happen.

Walter Dnes
Lunatic
Lunatic

Postby Walter Dnes » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:47 am

armanelgtron wrote:Pale Moon crashes on system dialogs such as save as, print, etc. (NOT preferences or about) with an error of "Segmentation Fault". (ex Every single time I try to save as.) This has been happening since I originally installed it on this desktop running GNU/Linux (KDE Neon) Ubuntu Xenial (16.04). (Using the latest pale moon currently 27.4.2 (64-bit) [27.4.2~repack-1]) It is AMD64 architecture with a Quad Core AMD Athlon x4 640 CPU and an NVidia GT 730 GPU.

How old is it, and does it support SSE2 instruction set? What is the output of the command (in a terminal)...
grep sse2 /proc/cpuinfo

If it supports 64-bits, it probably supports SSE2, but i"m not familiar with AMD cpus. "Athlon x4" is not specific enough here. All it says is a 4-core "Athlon", and there have been many "Athlon" models with various abilities. If you have gcc installed, you can get the exact cpu model with the command...
gcc -c -Q -march=native --help=target | grep march=

Failing that, try...
head /proc/cpuinfo

eskaton023
Lunatic
Lunatic

Postby eskaton023 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:36 pm

Here's detailed info on his processor: http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/AMD-A ... OX%29.html

In short, I can tell you it does support SSE2.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Postby Moonchild » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:48 pm

This isn't an issue with CPU instruction support. If that were the case, the browser wouldn't even start. Thanks for trying to help but it's incorrect.

It's more likely that this is the known bug in oxygen-GTK2 as Travis indicated.
Improving Mozilla code: You know you're on the right track with code changes when you spend the majority of your time deleting code.

armanelgtron
New to the forum
New to the forum

Postby armanelgtron » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:27 pm

trava90 wrote:Are you using the oxygen GTK2 theme? If so, please try changing it and see if the crashes still happen.

I was using the Oxygen GTK2 theme but changing to a different theme (breeze) and restarting the browser did not fix the segmentation fault. (Unless there are additional steps I have to take?)

stevepusser
Lunatic
Lunatic

Postby stevepusser » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:51 am

There is also a patched Oxygen-GTK theme in my repo that supports Palemoon, but the repo still seems to be down ATM.

Return to “Pale Moon for Linux”