Setup Timeout Error HTML5 videos weatherbell.com Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Setup Timeout Error HTML5 videos weatherbell.com

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2017-08-24, 00:56

Weatherbell is a "freemium" weather site that has a bit of publically viewable content and more in-depth stuff for paying subscribers. The free part of the site https://www.weatherbell.com/premium/ is at the top, i.e. everything without the "PREMIUM" labelling. I find the "Public Videos" (Daily Update and Saturday Summary) in the upper right-hand side interesting. For the past few days, my linux desktop has been unable to display the videos, getting the error message "Setup Timeout Error: Setup took longer than 30 seconds to complete". This happens with various 32-bit builds, including my personal build, the mainline 32-bit version, and the latest 32-bit unstable linux build. It works fine on an old Windows7 laptop running 27.4.2 32-bit, so this looks linux-specific.

I've tried the usual stuff, i.e. dropping my firewall and temporarily commenting out my hosts file. No difference. When trying to play the videos on Weatherbell, the status bar has a message about contacting ssl.p.jwpcdn.com. Youtube continues to play fine, so it's not a general problem.
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Setup Timeout Error HTML5 videos weatherbell.com

Unread post by adesh » 2017-08-24, 09:54

I am able to play the daily update video. On Linux and using official 27.4.2 32-bit.
Initially I also got a modal dialog with the same "30 second setup error", but then realized that jwplayer assests were being blocked by NoScript. Allowed jwpcdn.com and it worked. So, check your security software as the issue most likely is the blocking of jwplayer stuff.

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2017-08-25, 01:29

I tried creating a new test profile. Some of the time it works, some of the time it doesn't. This is frustrating.
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2017-08-26, 00:07

It appears to be something in my /etc/hosts file. Defanging the hosts file allows the video to work. I'll set up a routine where i drop down to a basic hosts file, watch the video, and restore the full hosts file.

Why the hosts file stuff? My desktop is a 2008 Core2 Duo, with 3 gigabytes of ram, that I'm trying to run into the ground. Thanks to Gentoo optimization, and using ICEWM, it's generally quite snappy. There's one website I follow where Wordpress throws the entire kitchen sink of 3rd-party ads/trackers/videos/whatever. I know that free websites have to make money somehow, but when a website puts a cpu load of 1.35 or 1.5 on my 2-core machine, I draw the line, and go after the 3rd-party sites with my hosts file. After major hosts redirection to 0.0.0.0, that webpage now only puts 0.03 cpu load on my machine
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2017-08-26, 08:56

Ver similar setup. I run Arch. I also use hosts file but only to block domains of Facebook and Google (evil corporation). I hope tomorrow they don't build DNS right inside the browser :P I think Pale Moon won't.
My feeble laptop is also from 2008. I use NoScript just to make sure websites don't grind my CPU to a halt with scripts from 67 different domains. My CPU hates Firefox for the same reason. 8-)

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2017-09-11, 21:13

After some testing, it appears that ssl.p.jwpcdn.com is what delivers the HTML5 video content for Weatherbell.com. With that entry commented out, the rest of my hosts file can be in effect, and I get the videos properly.
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way