Duplicating & backing up profiles

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Duplicating & backing up profiles

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-08-12, 08:21

How does on go about duplicating a profile in PM (for Linux)? I need an exact copy.

I guess it would be the same backing up the profile (which I don't know how to do either), except that I want to be able to actively use both copies for testing and comparison. Thanks.
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Duplicating & backing up profiles

Unread post by adesh » 2017-08-12, 09:12

• Create a new "blank" profile using Profile Manager: palemoon -p
  • On Linux, your profiles are located under ~/.moonchild productions/pale moon in their separate directories. If you named your new profile "dupe", it will be located in a directory named "XXXXXXXX.dupe", where XX bit is a random string. To back up a profile you simply copy its directory to somewhere safe.
  • Now with Pale Moon closed, delete everything inside the "dupe" directory and copy the contents of your original (default) profile there. This transaction might look something like this:

Code: Select all

$ cd "~/.moonchild productions/pale moon"
    $ ls
    j38fcbyy.default  profiles.ini  wngotfnk.dupe
    $ rm -r wngotfnk.dupe/*
    $ cp -av j38fcbyy.default/* wngotfnk.dupe/