PM won't start after "successful" update to 27.3.0 Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
yellowfinch

PM won't start after "successful" update to 27.3.0

Unread post by yellowfinch » 2017-07-06, 01:45

I've used pminstaller.sh before (to update from 27.0.3 to 27.2.1), but this time, after what seemed like a normal process, PM won't start at all. Instead, a plain window shows up, with this message:

Code: Select all

Erreur d'analyse XML : entité non définie
Emplacement : chrome://browser/content/browser.xul
Numéro de ligne 1573, Colonne 15 :              <menuitem id="menu_openPermissions"
--------------^
I've searched this forum for "browser.xul" and found one thread from January 2016 that cites a similar message but that instance of PM, while said to be broken, was at least loading and was somewhat useable, so it seems to be a different situation.

What should I do?

I saw in the "Manual installation" instructions that the first step would be to uninstall. Wouldn' that delete the profile as well?

Any clues would be much appreciated.

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: PM won't start after "successful" update to 27.3.0

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2017-07-06, 02:22

There's a similar thread thread viewtopic.php?t=15504 It involves unstable build but it has the same error message, except in English. The solution to the problem was to disable the language pack. Is the French language pack official?

Uninstalling Pale Moon should not delete the user profile(s). You can have multiple versions installed simultaneously. You do not have to delete the previous version. Since I am the only person using my machine, I prefer to install in my home directory. This does not need root permission.

Code: Select all

mkdir $HOME/pm2730
mv palemoon*.bz2 $HOME/pm2730
cd $HOME/pm2730
tar -xvjf palemoon*.bz2
To start from command line the command is $HOME/pm2730/palemoon/palemoon or if you want to start a specific profile $HOME/pm2730/palemoon/palemoon -no-remote -p profilename with the actual "profilename". The command can also be put into whatever program launcher you use. You can have multiple windows from the same, or different versions running simultaneously, but they must be different profiles.
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

khronosschoty
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by khronosschoty » 2017-07-06, 02:30

It was pointed out to me that, "it is a langpack issue".

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-07-06, 02:34

It's a language pack issue.

You should have been served an updated language pack a while back (unless, of course, you disable checking for add-on updates, in which case this will remain a risk) that would include the current strings needed. Reinstalling the browser won't help you because your profile is where the language pack lives, so that won't solve your issue.

What you should do is start Pale Moon in safe mode (start with SHIFT held down or from the command-line with -safe-mode) and remove the language pack. Restart normally, then install the latest language pack available, and make sure you enable updates for add-ons in the add-on manager.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

yellowfinch

Unread post by yellowfinch » 2017-07-06, 12:02

Thank you very much! Removing the language pack from safe mode solved it. I will probably continue using it in English from now on.

For the record:
  • Yes, it was an official language pack.
    Yes, I had disabled add-on updates. When I see an option that I think will help prevent unpleasant surprises, I use it.
By the way: I would mark the thread as SOLVED, but I don't see the tick mark mentioned in t=10762.