Change Icon? Topic is solved

Support and discussions for the x86/x64 Linux version of Pale Moon.

Moderators: trava90, satrow

User avatar
Marcus
Moonbather
Moonbather
Posts: 72
Joined: Fri, 23 Sep 2016, 11:58

Change Icon?

Postby Marcus » Fri, 16 Jun 2017, 10:25

Hi.

Is it possible to change Palemoon's icon, the one showing on the panel?
pm.png


I'd like to change it to something like this:
Screenshot_2017-06-16_11-10-38.png


Thanks.

User avatar
adesh
Lunatic
Lunatic
Posts: 440
Joined: Tue, 06 Jun 2017, 07:38

Re: Change Icon?

Postby adesh » Fri, 16 Jun 2017, 13:41

Your desktop environment can override the icon supplied by the application by its own. Your screenshot suggests that you are using Ubuntu, so please consult Ubuntu wiki to achieve that. https://duckduckgo.com/?t=palemoon&q=ub ... e+app+icon

User avatar
Marcus
Moonbather
Moonbather
Posts: 72
Joined: Fri, 23 Sep 2016, 11:58

Re: Change Icon?

Postby Marcus » Fri, 16 Jun 2017, 15:59

Xubuntu, Xfce, panel, Window Buttons applet
The icon shown in the pic is application controlled, not OS.

User avatar
adesh
Lunatic
Lunatic
Posts: 440
Joined: Tue, 06 Jun 2017, 07:38

Re: Change Icon?

Postby adesh » Fri, 16 Jun 2017, 18:47

Marcus wrote:Xubuntu, Xfce, panel, Window Buttons applet
The icon shown in the pic is application controlled, not OS.

If you are relying on Pale Moon to provide you an icon of you choice I'm afraid that might not work. BTW, are you familiar with icon themes?

User avatar
Marcus
Moonbather
Moonbather
Posts: 72
Joined: Fri, 23 Sep 2016, 11:58

Re: Change Icon?

Postby Marcus » Fri, 16 Jun 2017, 20:38

adesh wrote: BTW, are you familiar with icon themes?


Yes.

User avatar
Marcus
Moonbather
Moonbather
Posts: 72
Joined: Fri, 23 Sep 2016, 11:58

Re: Change Icon?

Postby Marcus » Mon, 19 Jun 2017, 18:02

Marcus wrote:Is it possible to change Palemoon's icon, the one showing on the panel?


bump

User avatar
adesh
Lunatic
Lunatic
Posts: 440
Joined: Tue, 06 Jun 2017, 07:38

Re: Change Icon?

Postby adesh » Mon, 19 Jun 2017, 18:23

Please have a look at this discussion. Quite old but should still work anyway.
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php ... 4#p1179779

Ask if you have issues issues following that topic. You might also try to seek help on your distro's forums.

User avatar
lightning slinger
Fanatic
Fanatic
Posts: 142
Joined: Mon, 27 Jul 2015, 17:50
Location: England

Re: Change Icon?  Topic is solved

Postby lightning slinger » Mon, 19 Jun 2017, 19:21

To replace the icons that appear in the Window Buttons applet in the Xfce panel you will need to change the icons in the /palemoon/browser/chrome/icons/default/ folder. In that folder you will find default16.png, default32.png and default48.png icons.
You will need to replace these with the similar sized icons of your choice under root.Backup the original icons folder first.
If you installed PM via the pminstaller script or following the recommended manual method, Pale Moon is in /opt directory!
Arch Linux Xfce x86_64
Xubuntu 16.04 LTS x86_64

User avatar
petrus
Fanatic
Fanatic
Posts: 137
Joined: Wed, 04 Dec 2013, 19:41

Re: Change Icon?

Postby petrus » Mon, 19 Jun 2017, 19:34

On Windows you can change the shortcut icon in their properties (change icon)
or replace the icon resource (.ico) of palemoon.exe itself using Resource Hacker!

Meanwhile in Opera 12 you could set a custom icon in the ini, in the good ol' times! :)

User avatar
Marcus
Moonbather
Moonbather
Posts: 72
Joined: Fri, 23 Sep 2016, 11:58

Re: Change Icon?

Postby Marcus » Mon, 19 Jun 2017, 20:58

lightning slinger wrote:To replace the icons that appear in the Window Buttons applet in the Xfce panel you will need to change the icons in the /palemoon/browser/chrome/icons/default/ folder. In that folder you will find default16.png, default32.png and default48.png icons.
You will need to replace these with the similar sized icons of your choice under root.Backup the original icons folder first.
If you installed PM via the pminstaller script or following the recommended manual method, Pale Moon is in /opt directory!


Worked like a charm :thumbup: thanks.

Screenshot_2017-06-19_21-56-59.png

User avatar
Pale Moon Rising
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side
Posts: 3024
Joined: Tue, 06 Oct 2015, 16:59
Location: Los Angeles CA USA

Re: Change Icon?

Postby Pale Moon Rising » Tue, 20 Jun 2017, 00:06

Marcus wrote:Hi.

Is it possible to change Palemoon's icon, the one showing on the panel?
pm.png

I'd like to change it to something like this:
Screenshot_2017-06-16_11-10-38.png

Thanks.
Hmm, just noticed your preferred icon example for Pale Moon that you posted
Preferred PM icon.png
is virtually the same as the icon that Google Earth uses (very close, that is)):
Icon used by Google Earth.png
Google Earth Icon
Icon used by Google Earth.png (8.09 KiB) Viewed 1041 times
... but then maybe you knew that ;)
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN7(64-bit) | I3 CPU, 2.53 GHz, 4G RAM

Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers

Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

User avatar
Marcus
Moonbather
Moonbather
Posts: 72
Joined: Fri, 23 Sep 2016, 11:58

Re: Change Icon?

Postby Marcus » Tue, 20 Jun 2017, 10:40

Pale Moon Rising wrote:Hmm, just noticed your preferred icon example for Pale Moon that you posted
Preferred PM icon.png is virtually the same as the icon that Google Earth uses (very close, that is)):
Icon used by Google Earth.png

Yeah :D , it was just an example.


Return to “Pale Moon for Linux”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests