PM Installer doesn't work on a Linux live session?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

PM Installer doesn't work on a Linux live session?

Unread post by ron_1 » 2017-06-14, 00:12

I just ran a "live" session of Linux Mint 18.2 beta (Mate) from a DVD. I copied over the installer from a USB to the desktop and tried to run it, but it kept opening in the text editor. I then tried the recommendation on the PM Linux page: "Some file managers treat the pminstaller.sh file as a normal text file and will try to open it as such (in a text editor). In such cases you must run the installer by: /path/to/the/installer/pminstaller.sh" but that didn't work either. I'm assuming the reason it didn't work was because I was running a live session. Can anyone confirm that for me? I did download the PM tarball and was able to run PM from that, no problem.

Also, a side question: Mint 18.2 Mate uses Mate version 1.18, which is built entirely against GTK3. I have no idea what that means, but I am wondering if that might create an issue with installing Pale Moon on an installed Mint 18.2?

Toa-Nuva
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: PM Installer doesn't work on a Linux live session?

Unread post by Toa-Nuva » 2017-06-14, 06:15

I assume the file did not have its executable permissions set correctly. If you look at the "permissions" tab in the file properties, there should be a checkbox or something that says "allow this file to run as a program". (The actual wording may be different, I'm not using MATE at the moment.)

You should at least be able to start the installer, even on a live-CD/DVD/USB. Actually installing is a different matter, but that should work as well. Live systems usually reserve a portion of your RAM for files, which I think should be enough for installing Pale Moon. (But of course, since it's only in RAM, Pale Moon will be gone as soon as you restart the system.)

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2017-06-14, 09:48

helloimustbegoing wrote:/path/to/the/installer/pminstaller.sh" but that didn't work either.
Can you provide more details as to what exactly happens? Do you get any error message in the terminal?
If you are trying to run the installer directly from FAT formatted USB drive, you will get "Permission denied" error. In that case run: sh /path/to/the/installer/pminstaller.sh

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2017-06-16, 23:26

Thanks to all who responded. I installed Mint 18.2 beta, and Pale Moon (and the installer) work just fine.

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2017-06-18, 01:10

It would probably been easier to install the deb file from my Ubuntu 16.04 repo. Just sayin'...

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2017-06-18, 02:58

stevepusser wrote:
It would probably been easier to install the deb file from my Ubuntu 16.04 repo.
Did you mean as regards a live session?

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2017-06-18, 23:01

Sure, I've done it while testing some Ubuntu and antiX live sessions--just did one yesterday, in fact, to see how my new Stretch gcc-4.9 PM build worked in a virtual machine live session. You can just install the deb directly. When there's a lot of packages, like when testing a port of MATE 1.18 over to Stretch, I just add the repo and repo key and install the mate metapackage. It works fine.