Which ffmpeg to use for MP3 in HTML5

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
AlexC

Which ffmpeg to use for MP3 in HTML5

Unread post by AlexC » 2017-06-04, 07:59

I'm trying and failing to get MP3 playback working in Pale Moon 27.3.0 under 32-bit Puppy Linux Tahr. I'm using ffmpeg 3.3.1-static as /usr/bin/ffmpeg, which works fine standalone. HTML5 works in general (html5test.com gives a score of 396) but the relevant streaming codecs are shown as disabled/not working.

This page - http://hpr.dogphilosophy.net/test/ - shows that MP3 and Flac don't work. I'm not bothered about Flac but I need MP3 playback for duolingo.com, which I can't forcibly degrade to Flash (not that that's a great solution). Disabling MSE in the options has no positive effect - it just drops the HTML5 test score to 391.

Any hints as to what might be wrong? Is there an ffmpeg library that Pale Moon uses rather than the binary?

mseliger
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Which ffmpeg to use for MP3 in HTML5

Unread post by mseliger » 2017-06-04, 15:21

Hello,

I use the version ffmpeg version 2.8.11-0ubuntu0.16.04.1. I've enabled ffmpeg in Pale Moon and I've have enabled gstreamer support (about:config > media.gstreamer.enabled) I can play mp3 on the mentioned page with and without activating Enabled Media Source Extension (Preferences > Content > Video). Only flac is not working for me.
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Greetings
Maria
---
Ich bin ein Westfale, und zwar ein Stockwestfale, nämlich ein Münsterländer – Gott sei Dank! füge ich hinzu ...
Annette von Droste zu Hülshoff, Bei uns zu Lande auf dem Lande

AlexC

Unread post by AlexC » 2017-06-04, 15:35

I thought gstreamer wasn't required in 27.3.0? I don't have an option for 'media.gstreamer.enabled', in fact a search for 'gstreamer' shows no entries. Are you running an older Pale Moon, before 27.1?

> I've enabled ffmpeg in Pale Moon

I have this: "media.ffmpeg.enabled;true" - should there be any others?

mseliger
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by mseliger » 2017-06-04, 18:01

No, just yesterday I've installed Lubuntu on this computer (but the profile of PaleMoon is older - from 27.1 or so). I don't know if it had any effect, but it is so set in my profile. But I don't have any problems with mp3.
I have this installed on my computer: gstreamer1.0-fluendo-mp3 - but I don't know if it has any effect for Pale Moon.
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Greetings
Maria
---
Ich bin ein Westfale, und zwar ein Stockwestfale, nämlich ein Münsterländer – Gott sei Dank! füge ich hinzu ...
Annette von Droste zu Hülshoff, Bei uns zu Lande auf dem Lande

biopsin
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by biopsin » 2017-06-04, 19:40

All plays except opus (I removed opus support) and flac (not shure why yet).
Selfcompiled all linked to system libs PM27.3.0 / ffmpeg 3.3.1 / no gstreamer
voidlinux_x64 glibc-2.38 / Palemoon_latest release (gcc-13.2.0) / GTK2

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2017-06-05, 08:33

Recent versions of Pale Moon support MP3 playback out of the box if FFmpeg (and specifically the libavcodec portion of FFmpeg) is found on the system. GStreamer is no longer supported or able to be used. FLAC is also not supported at this time.

AlexC

Unread post by AlexC » 2017-06-05, 09:31

Thanks. There must be something quirky about Puppy Linux (there are lots of things, of course, but I like it) that mean it's just not working here, but I will try again with libavcodec.

I just tried Firefox 45 ESR and, although it plays MP3 via HTML5, duolingo.com still doesn't work with audio, so that must be a separate issue.