Can't send link from PM 27.3.0 using Thunderbird get error

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
zack832

Can't send link from PM 27.3.0 using Thunderbird get error

Unread post by zack832 » 2017-06-02, 23:52

Prior to switching to PM I used FireFox and never had an issue sending a link via email. I'd click on the option and text window from Thunderbird would open with the subject line filled in and I could send.

Now, With PM all I get is an error message:

"Thunderbird is already running, but is not responding. To open a new window, you must first close the existing Thunderbird process, or restart your system."

I keep TB open ALWAYS, I am not going to close it just to send an occasional email, any work around?

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Can't send link from PM 27.3.0 using Thunderbird get error

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-06-03, 01:46

I'm not using Linux (use Windows), but thought I'd test for this, FWIW.

I virtually never send links but I thought I'd test this with my default Email Client and by right-clicking on a link in the Pale Moon browser and selecting "Send link..." from the context menu my Email Client interface (Post Box Express) starts up as it should and I tried it with my default Email Client both not running (closed) and running (open) and it works like it should either way.

Do you have Thunderbird set as your default Email Client?
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-06-03, 02:34

Does anyone else have this same issue with TB using Linux?
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

themew

Unread post by themew » 2017-06-03, 04:26

Nope, no issues here. T-bird 52.1.1 is listed as default in the preferences menu and clicking on an email link in PM 27.3 (Linux running Manjaro XFCE kernel 4.11) opens T-Bird as expected. Never had an issue with this setup.

lightning slinger

Unread post by lightning slinger » 2017-06-03, 06:40

Works here OK in Arch Linux XFCE using TB 52.1.1. Opens the 'write' mail box with the addresses already filled out whether TB is already running or not.

troypulk

Unread post by troypulk » 2017-06-03, 18:12

Pale Moon Rising wrote:Does anyone else have this same issue with TB using Linux?

Nope, no issues here either, using TB 52.1.1

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-06-03, 20:26

zack832 wrote:
Now, With PM all I get is an error message:

"Thunderbird is already running, but is not responding. To open a new window, you must first close the existing Thunderbird process, or restart your system."

I keep TB open ALWAYS, I am not going to close it just to send an occasional email, any work around?
zack832, as you can see from the feedback to your topic - it appears the issue is unique to your circumstance and is not a specific problem with PM....

Perhaps you can test in a "clean" environment in some manner (not knowing anything about Linux) or look into any possible setting in TB that may be causing the issue you are having with TB. If nothing else you could try another Email Client just to see if the same issue occurs and if not then that would more likely narrow the issue down to some issue at least in part with TB.

zack832

Unread post by zack832 » 2017-06-03, 20:51

Yes, it would appear so. I'm having other issues, some I posted other threads about, I'm thinking about uninstalling and stating fresh. Odd.

Hate having to go through all the reinstalls of bookmarks and add ons, Got it set up as I would like, except for the numerous issues...

themew

Unread post by themew » 2017-06-03, 21:38

Check a couple of things first before the drastic reinstall...

Pale Moon > Preferences > Applications > mailto > Use Thunderbird (default)

Check that Thunderbird is chosen as your default mail software in:

Thunderbird > Preferences > Advanced > System Integration > (X) Always check to see if Thunderbird is the default mail client on startup (make sure it's checked).

That should get you there... Hope it helps.

zack832

Unread post by zack832 » 2017-06-03, 22:31

Thanks, tried that, no luck....

themew

Unread post by themew » 2017-06-03, 23:38

Okay Zack, last suggestion...

Pale Moon > Preferences > Applications > mailto > Always Ask

When it asks, choose Thunderbird. When the dialog box comes up click the 'always use this selection' (sorry, can't remember the exact wording, but it's a check box).

TB should remember this setting.

zack832

Unread post by zack832 » 2017-06-04, 03:34

I appreciate the effort. I have tried that option and just retried it, no go. I think I have a wonky install of PM, at some point I'll remove it and reinstall when it gets annoying enough. Thanks!

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-06-04, 06:47

zack832 wrote:I appreciate the effort. I have tried that option and just retried it, no go. I think I have a wonky install of PM, at some point I'll remove it and reinstall when it gets annoying enough. Thanks!
How about taking a look at this website (I know about Windows regarding this but I'm not familiar with Linux): Install Latest ‘Thunderbird’ Email Client in Linux Systems.
Off-topic:
looks more complicated than Windows below:
Set Email Client as default in OS.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.