Create seperate icons for different profiles?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
zack832

Create seperate icons for different profiles?

Unread post by zack832 » 2017-05-17, 05:30

I've setup 2 profiles in PM, I'd like to be able to open both at the same time, have not found an easy way to do that yet. Doable?

I've been using Opera for one set of sites and Firefox for another , like to simplify things and just use PM as I find it quick, and not a memory hog. I'm using Linux Mint BTW.

lightning slinger

Re: Create seperate icons for different profiles?

Unread post by lightning slinger » 2017-05-17, 14:09

Use this command to start one profile eg default!
palemoon -P default -no-remote

and this command for other profile eg Banking
palemoon -p Banking -no-remote

Choose an icon for second profile from any you like in /usr/share/icons.
I use the Xfce DE on both Arch and Xubuntu and have been running two profiles for many years as above.

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-05-17, 18:11

You may find you have to use a double hyphen for longer options and a single dash for single-letter options, like so:

Code: Select all

palemoon -P default --no-remote
palemoon -P foobar --no-remote
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-05-17, 18:23

lightning slinger wrote: Choose an icon for second profile from any you like in /usr/share/icons.
I use the Xfce DE on both Arch and Xubuntu and have been running two profiles for many years as above.
Could you elaborate on this? I am using Ubuntu, and no matter how many profiles I run, there is only one icon in the Launcher. How can you get separate icons for each command?
EDIT: Actually, I did a little research, and I figured out how to do this with Ubuntu (running Unity). I don't have time to go into all the steps right here and now, but I will try to write a tutorial for this. You can also use separate Terminal profiles for each Pale Moon profile, which is what I have been doing.

But I still would be interested in hearing how you do it with Xfce DE on Xubuntu.
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2017-05-17, 19:04

I have over 20 profiles, most dedicated to specific websites and workspaces. As pointed out previously, the command
palemoon -no-remote -p <profilename>
...will open <profilename>. So it's up to you to set different icons in your program launcher, depending on what desktop or window manager you use. My strategy is like so...
  • Part 1
    • Open a terminal (xterm/roxterm/whatever) and cd to the Pale Moon directory
      cd "~/.moonchild productions/pale moon"
      Everything that follows assumes we are in this directory
    • In the terminal, execute the commands
      mkdir template
      palemoon -no-remote -p &
    • in the profile manager dialogue, create a profile named "template" and force it to the "template" directory
      ~/.moonchild productions/pale moon/template
    • Go nuts tweaking the appearance/settingsabout:config/etc,etc of the "template" profile, the way that you want generally in every profile
    • Close the Pale Moon instance "template"
  • Part 2
    • Assume for this example, that you want to create profiles "banking", "palemoon", "slashdot", and "youtube". Adjust the list to meet your actual needs.
    • We are about to perform some brain surgery.
      • Close all instances of Pale Moon. As an extra precaution, in the terminal, execute the command killall palemoon
      • MAKE A BACKUP COPY OF profiles.ini in case things go badly.
    • Create the profile directories, based on the "template" profile, with the commands
      cp -a template banking
      cp -a template palemoon
      cp -a template slashdot
      cp -a template youtube
    • In the teminal, edit the file profiles.ini (You did create a backup, didn't you?) to the following

[General]
      StartWithLastProfile=0

[Profile0]
      Name=banking
      IsRelative=1
      Path=banking

[Profile1]
      Name=palemoon
      IsRelative=1
      Path=palemoon

[Profile2]
      Name=slashdot
      IsRelative=1
      Path=slashdot

[Profile3]
      Name=template
      IsRelative=1
      Path=template

[Profile4]
      Name=youtube
      IsRelative=1
      Path=youtube
    • Do a test run
      palemoon -no-remote -p banking
      and you can tweak the individual profile for its startup pages, etc. Repeat for each profile you've created
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-05-18, 03:25

Walter Dnes wrote: My strategy is like so...
Wow, that is very interesting! :geek: More sophisticated maybe than what I have intended to share... :shifty:
Walter Dnes wrote:Open a terminal (xterm/roxterm/whatever) and cd to the Pale Moon directory
cd "~/.moonchild productions/pale moon"
I just want to point out that (at least in bash) that line would produce this error:

$ cd "~/.moonchild productions/pale moon"
bash: cd: ~/.moonchild productions/pale moon: No such file or directory
So you have to you do it this way:

cd ~/".moonchild productions"/"pale moon"
(You have to enquote separately each directory name that contains spaces.)
Or you could just use wildcards:

cd ~/.moonchild*/pale*/

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2017-05-18, 10:03

gracious1 wrote:I just want to point out that (at least in bash) that line would produce this error:

$ cd "~/.moonchild productions/pale moon"
bash: cd: ~/.moonchild productions/pale moon: No such file or directory
That's what I get for trying to remember how I did it once. I'm also spoiled by usually navigating around in "mc" (Midnight Commander).The correct way in bash is
cd "$HOME/.moonchild productions/pale moon"
The problem with how I first gave it is that "~" is escaped, and not expanded inside of quotes. The command looks for a directory, literally named "~". "$HOME" is expanded properly. OK, here's a second take. If this works for people, I can submit it in the "Tutorials/Howtos" section.

==============================================================================
I have over 20 profiles, most dedicated to specific websites and workspaces. The command
palemoon -no-remote -p <profilename>
...will open <profilename>. So it's up to you to set different icons in your program launcher, depending on what desktop or window manager you use. My strategy is like so...
  • Part 1
    • Open a terminal (xterm/roxterm/whatever) and cd to the Pale Moon directory
      cd "$HOME/.moonchild productions/pale moon"
      Everything that follows assumes we are in this directory
    • In the terminal, execute the commands
      mkdir template
      palemoon -no-remote -p &
    • in the profile manager dialogue, create a profile named "template" and force it to the "template" directory
      $HOME/.moonchild productions/pale moon/template
    • Open the profile, and go nuts tweaking the appearance/settingsabout:config/etc,etc of the "template" profile, the way that you want generally in every profile
    • Close the Pale Moon instance "template"
  • Part 2
    • Assume for this example, that you want to create profiles "banking", "palemoon", "slashdot", and "youtube". Adjust the list to meet your actual needs.
    • We are about to perform some brain surgery.
      • Close all instances of Pale Moon. As an extra precaution, in the terminal, execute the command killall palemoon
      • MAKE A BACKUP COPY OF profiles.ini in case things go badly.
    • Create the profile directories, based on the "template" profile, with the commands
      cp -a template banking
      cp -a template palemoon
      cp -a template slashdot
      cp -a template youtube
    • In the teminal, edit the file profiles.ini (You did create a backup, didn't you?) to the following

[General]
      StartWithLastProfile=0

[Profile0]
      Name=banking
      IsRelative=1
      Path=banking

[Profile1]
      Name=palemoon
      IsRelative=1
      Path=palemoon

[Profile2]
      Name=slashdot
      IsRelative=1
      Path=slashdot

[Profile3]
      Name=template
      IsRelative=1
      Path=template

[Profile4]
      Name=youtube
      IsRelative=1
      Path=youtube
    • Do a test run
      palemoon -no-remote -p banking
      and you can tweak the individual profile for its startup pages, etc. Repeat for each profile you've created
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way