With several themes, can't grab scroll bar at far right edge in Pale Moon Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
qwetrydavid

With several themes, can't grab scroll bar at far right edge in Pale Moon

Unread post by qwetrydavid » 2017-05-12, 01:46

When I moved from Linux Mint to MX Linux a couple months ago I noticed a bit of an issue with Pale Moon. With the default MX theme of Greybird I couldn't grab the scroll bar when I moved the mouse cursor to the very right edge. The cursor misses the scroll bar. This is a big deal. When you're scrolling down a web page you don't want to have to carefully line up the mouse cursor on the scroll bar to move down a page, you want to be able to shove it all the way to the right at the side of your vision without having to focus.

I initially blamed it on the distro, but then I tested Greybird on Mint and had the same issue. No such issue with Mint's default Mint-X theme. In fact I can't pick up the scroll bar at the far right edge in PM with most themes shipped with MX: Greybird, Albatross, Bluebird, High Contrast, Mediterranean, Raleigh, Shearwater, Zukitwo. I CAN pick up the scroll bar at the far right edge in PM with these themes: Mint-X, Adwaita, Kiwi, Murrina, Nox, XFCE. With Greybird you can grab the scroll bar at the far right in Firefox, so this is an issue only with how these themes play on Pale Moon.

I've settled on using the Mint-X theme in MX, but I'd really like more choice. I hope others don't think this is petty. I simply think this is basic use behaviour: with any theme or almost all themes anyway you should be able to grab the scroll bar at the far right edge of a browser. Why is this happening in Pale Moon? Can it be corrected? Has anyone else noticed if the issue does or does not exist with other themes? Greybird and related birdy themes are pretty nice and I'd like to be able to use them but I won't as long as this issue persists.

Thanks

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Re: With several themes, can't grab scroll bar at far right edge in Pale Moon

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2017-05-12, 20:27

I can't reproduce it in my MX 16 XFCE desktop. Most of the window decoration themes that come with XFCE or from Debian are very thin on the sides, and only give a very small section to grab on higher DPI screens. That makes it quite difficult for me to do on my 1920x1080 15.6" laptop screen with most themes, but I can manage eventually. XFCE rather confusingly has a separate "Window Manager" appearance setting that actually should be "Window Decorations"--you can see some in there that we've modified to have a "thick grip" just because of this issue, or come with XFCE 4.12 as "Default HDPI" that are thicker, but I use one I've manually installed called 2ndlook that is nice and thick on the sides.

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2017-05-13, 01:52

A lot of people are running into that issue with a lot of programs. This appears to be the latest GNOME infestation, reaching even gtk-2, with the latest theme and theme engine. The following works for Gentoo; I don't know for sure about other distros. For now at least, you can restore a more classic look by creating a file named ".gtkrc-2.0" (note the leading dot), in your home directory, with contents...

Code: Select all

gtk-theme-name = "Raleigh"
gtk-icon-theme-name = "hicolor"
gtk-cursor-theme-name = ""
Remember to restart X. This should give decent scrollbars.
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

qwetrydavid

Unread post by qwetrydavid » 2017-05-30, 08:41

Walter Dnes wrote:A lot of people are running into that issue with a lot of programs. This appears to be the latest GNOME infestation, reaching even gtk-2, with the latest theme and theme engine. The following works for Gentoo; I don't know for sure about other distros. For now at least, you can restore a more classic look by creating a file named ".gtkrc-2.0" (note the leading dot), in your home directory, with contents...

Code: Select all

gtk-theme-name = "Raleigh"
gtk-icon-theme-name = "hicolor"
gtk-cursor-theme-name = ""
Remember to restart X. This should give decent scrollbars.
Didn't bother testing this till now, sorry. But it made no difference. Scrollbars didn't change at all.

qwetrydavid

Unread post by qwetrydavid » 2017-05-30, 09:00

stevepusser wrote:I can't reproduce it in my MX 16 XFCE desktop. Most of the window decoration themes that come with XFCE or from Debian are very thin on the sides, and only give a very small section to grab on higher DPI screens. That makes it quite difficult for me to do on my 1920x1080 15.6" laptop screen with most themes, but I can manage eventually. XFCE rather confusingly has a separate "Window Manager" appearance setting that actually should be "Window Decorations"--you can see some in there that we've modified to have a "thick grip" just because of this issue, or come with XFCE 4.12 as "Default HDPI" that are thicker, but I use one I've manually installed called 2ndlook that is nice and thick on the sides.
Those window manager theme options only seem to modify the window border layout, not the scrollbar. The Greybird thick grip extends the window to make it easier to grip, but doesn't change the scrollbar size or position. I wonder if the scrollbar size or position is even what causes this issue. The Albatross scrollbar for one is really thick and extends all the way to the right but I can't grap it, while the scrollbar with the Mint-X theme is slim and leaves a good mm to the right, and no issue with it.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2017-05-30, 10:06

Probably a insignificant reply but i always use the mousewheel for scrolling and yes i have experienced this issue with a few linux themes however.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

lightning slinger

Unread post by lightning slinger » 2017-05-30, 19:02

qwetrydavid wrote: Those window manager theme options only seem to modify the window border layout, not the scrollbar. The Greybird thick grip extends the window to make it easier to grip, but doesn't change the scrollbar size or position. I wonder if the scrollbar size or position is even what causes this issue. The Albatross scrollbar for one is really thick and extends all the way to the right but I can't grap it, while the scrollbar with the Mint-X theme is slim and leaves a good mm to the right, and no issue with it.
I can confirm your problem does kind of exist on my Arch Linux XFCE and my Xubuntu 16.04 XFCE boxes, whereby the mouse cursor seems to go past the scroll bar, making it more difficult than some themes to grap the scoll bar. I have used the Shimmer Project's Greybird and Bluebird themes on all my boxes for many years. Until your post, I never noticed any problem! However if you are finding difficulty you could raise an issue at
https://github.com/shimmerproject/Greybird/issues

qwetrydavid

Unread post by qwetrydavid » 2017-05-31, 17:58

lightning slinger wrote:
qwetrydavid wrote: Those window manager theme options only seem to modify the window border layout, not the scrollbar. The Greybird thick grip extends the window to make it easier to grip, but doesn't change the scrollbar size or position. I wonder if the scrollbar size or position is even what causes this issue. The Albatross scrollbar for one is really thick and extends all the way to the right but I can't grap it, while the scrollbar with the Mint-X theme is slim and leaves a good mm to the right, and no issue with it.
I can confirm your problem does kind of exist on my Arch Linux XFCE and my Xubuntu 16.04 XFCE boxes, whereby the mouse cursor seems to go past the scroll bar, making it more difficult than some themes to grap the scoll bar. I have used the Shimmer Project's Greybird and Bluebird themes on all my boxes for many years. Until your post, I never noticed any problem! However if you are finding difficulty you could raise an issue at
https://github.com/shimmerproject/Greybird/issues
Thanks for the Shimmer link. Issue posted... https://github.com/shimmerproject/Greybird/issues/190

BillZM
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by BillZM » 2018-08-04, 23:24

I see this is an old post, but I'm still experiencing the same exact issue with updated MX 16.1 and Pale Moon 27.9.4 (loaded from default repos in MX).

The default theme (Greybird-mx16-thick-grip) looks best but has the narrow scrollbar with the overshoot grip issue described above.

The NOX theme matches the taskbar color, has a wider scrollbar with nice scroll buttons and correct scrollbar grip behavior, but IMO window frames and scroll background are darker than ideal, obscuring markings and thus is a bit frustrating.

Wish there were a way to fix the scrollbar in Greybird or adjust the colors in NOX.

Has anyone solved this problem?

BillZM
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by BillZM » 2018-08-17, 00:51

Pale Moon v28 fixes all this! Wonderful!