Thank you for VP9 improvements in unstable!

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
smilr

Thank you for VP9 improvements in unstable!

Unread post by smilr » 2017-05-05, 10:06

Subject says it best but I felt I really really should thank the developers who have worked on this little tidbit from the current unstable release:
Leveraged multi-core rendering for libVPX (VP8/VP9 WebM decoding).
I watch a fair amount of Youtube videos these days, and had *just* purchased a 4k TV for my primary computer display one month before Youtube decided to stop encoding 4k videos in h.264.

It was amazing watching the back catalog of 4k videos from some of my favorite channels... only to have the beauty snatched away on their newer videos.

Youtube still has 4k videos in webm (vp9), but until recently my poor computer didn't have the grunt to render more than a second or two of a 4k VP9 video before dropping the next 10 seconds worth of frames.

However tonight, as of trying out 27.4.0a1 (2017-05-02 build) on the unstable channel I once again can smoothly render 4k Youtube videos!

To everyone who has been working on the video improvements since v26, Thank You.

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: Thank you for VP9 improvements in unstable!

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2017-05-09, 05:25

MSE/VP9(webm) has indeed improved yes but it is still not perfect. Do note any oddities.